New kitten concern

Old September 20th 05, 09:57 PM
Topaz

Default New kitten concern

"Biffidus Digestivum" wrote in message
Picked a new kitten up today from the rescue centre. She's 15 weeks
old. Now she's home we've noticed her eyes have a clear discharge and
she sneezes occasionally.
She's had all her jabs. Is it anything we should be worried about?
Thanks

Shelter cats often have the herpes virus, and stress (such as changing
homes)
brings it out with symptoms like runny eyes and noses. When I brought my
shelter cat home the shelter staff gave me a baggie of L-Lysine powder and
told
me to sprinkle some in her canned food to make sure she would not have an
outbreak--just in case she had the herpes virus.

You can get it at health food stores--it is just an amino acid, a building
block of protein. Read about it he

http://www.vetinfo.com/cherpes.html

And of course ask your vet when you take kitty in.

Old September 20th 05, 10:16 PM
Topaz

"Topaz" wrote in message ...

You can get it at health food stores--it is just an amino acid, a building
block of protein. Read about it he

http://www.vetinfo.com/cherpes.html

To make it simple, the vet online at the site above says this about l-lysine
treatment for herpes outbreaks in cats:

"Oral administration of l-lysine is helpful in some cats. 250 to 500mg per
day per cat is the usual recommendation. Most cats will eat these tablets
if they are crushed and mixed with food. These tablets are available
over the counter."

I would take that to mean 250 mgs for a kitten or small cat, but, again, ask
your vet.

Old September 20th 05, 11:24 PM
Cheryl

On Tue 20 Sep 2005 04:44:31p, Biffidus Digestivum wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

Picked a new kitten up today from the rescue centre. She's 15
weeks old. Now she's home we've noticed her eyes have a clear
discharge and she sneezes occasionally.
She's had all her jabs. Is it anything we should be worried
about? Thanks
Cas

OOoo Congrats! Very common in rescue kitties to have what you're
seeing. It very well could be feline herpes virus from the sounds
of it. L-lysine is effective in most cases to help stop the
replication of the virus while her little system tries to clear it.
My kittens are now cats of 1 year old, but in the early weeks it
was hard to get their runny eyes and nose cleared up. I used 250 mg
(1/2 of a 500 mg capsule) 2x per day each until well after they
were feeling better. Something to be aware of so you don't freak
out is that all that sneezing could cause little capillaries in the
nose to break, and you'll see some blood. Ask the vet about
antihistamines to help dry her up if the sneezing gets worse. Vet
will give you correct dose and type. Also, make sure she keeps
eating and drinking water. When the nose is stuffed, she can't
smell her food and might not want to eat it. Good luck!

--
Cheryl
Old September 21st 05, 12:14 AM
Cat man

When I picked my cat from the shelter, or should I say, when she picked
me from the shelter, she had upper respiratory disease. we spent a few
thousands of dollars on anti-biotics and such. of course it was worth
it, no matter how much many we spent, but have your cat checked. they
may have missed something