extremely skittish kitten

Old September 27th 05, 10:45 PM

Default extremely skittish kitten

I adopted a 2nd kitten about the same age as the first, (5 months, both
male).

unlike my first kitten, the new kitten is extremely afraid of people.
He would lie down in a distance and if I approach him, he will move a
distance again and lie down again.

He also do not eat treats or canned food offered from me. This make it
extra hard to lure him. I was told me he refused to eat canned food,
so this was expected. He came from a foster family, but I believe he
was locked up in a cage until a couple weeks ago, and then let out but
confined in that room because he was overly hissy and afraid, but
things have improved considerably since 2 weeks ago that's when I
decided to bring him home with me.

If I get close enough to rub his cheeks he seems to enjoy it (eyes
closed, sometimes purring), but sometimes he will try to bite.

My question is at this point what should my approach be, should I
attempt to pet him or hold him or should I completely ignore him until
he is not afraid of me walking close?

Any tips for in-resistable treats?

Thanks

Old September 27th 05, 11:19 PM
Karen

On 2005-09-27 16:45:26 -0500, said:

[...]

Sit on the floor a LOT. Read, watch TV. Let him come to you. Also, get
some wand toys like a cat charmer or cat dancer. Just idly play with
that as you sit on the floor. Try not to make sudden moves. Tell the
kitty when you are going to get up. Eventually he will come to trust
you. May not like being held but will probably at least be more
comfortable with you.

Old September 29th 05, 01:57 AM
Rebecca Root

On 2005-09-27 15:45:26 -0600, said: