Biting cat

Old October 3rd 05, 10:56 PM
J King

Default Biting cat

Hi

I've recently befriended a stray that has been hanging around my barn. He's
gotten very attached to me, following me everywhere. He craves attention.
Lately he has begun biting me. I never see it coming. It's not a hard
bite...more like a nip. The more he trusts me the more he bites me. He is
getting neutred tomorrow. Anyone know what may be going on here?

Joanne

Old October 4th 05, 02:09 AM
PawsForThought

J King wrote:
Hi

I've recently befriended a stray that has been hanging around my barn. He's
gotten very attached to me, following me everywhere. He craves attention.
Lately he has begun biting me. I never see it coming. It's not a hard
bite...more like a nip. The more he trusts me the more he bites me. He is
getting neutred tomorrow. Anyone know what may be going on here?

Joanne

He's not breaking the skin, right? Sounds like "love" bites and may be
his way of showing affection. My cat Mickey was a biter too. When he
would bite, I would blow in his face and tell him "no bite". That
pretty much stopped it, although once in a while he will bite, but now
it's only a nip.

Congrats on your new kitty

Lauren

Old October 4th 05, 09:33 AM
J King

Hi Lauren

That's kinda what I was thinking as well. I've never heard of it happening
before though. The only time he ever broke the skin was when he bit my
face:-( He never breaks the skin on my hands.

I don't know if I need Congratulations or Condolences! I'm convinced there
is a lineup of cats waiting for one of mine to die so that they can get
their turn to come live with me! Everytime I go below 6, another one shows
up to pull on my heart strings and I go back up to 6. This one HAS to stay
a barn cat! I already have 2 males in the house and bringing in another
will be war.

Joanne

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 4th 05, 10:45 PM
J King

Well actually he gets more attention than the horses so I don't think that's
it:-) He was neutered today so he's not in a biting mood right now.

Old October 5th 05, 04:06 AM
Rhonda

Some cats get over-stimulated and will give a sudden nip in the middle
of all of the attention. It's like they're so excited they don't know
what to do.

We have a biter like that, he was a barn cat for 10 years. He probably
didn't get a lot of attention.

I just yell every time he bites, and he's not doing it as much.

Rhonda

Old October 5th 05, 04:15 AM
Lumpy

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Some cats get over-stimulated and will give a sudden nip in the middle
of all of the attention. It's like they're so excited they don't know
what to do.

My sweet little 6-lb tabby Lacey, who has been with us for three years just
started
spitting--SPITTING, not hissing--when she gets overstimulated. She only does
it
when my husband is petting her. I have never heard a cat spit this way
before.
Afterward she seems a bit confused, but gets over it in a matter of seconds
and seeks more petting.

Old October 5th 05, 09:31 AM
J King

This sure seems like what is happening. I know he seems very appreciative
of having a home in my barn. I guess I'll just have to put up with it and
be careful:-) He's a really sweet cat. But I am the only human that he
trusts.

Joanne

Old October 7th 05, 04:30 AM
Rhonda

That's pretty funny. I love to hear a cat spit, ours kittens used to do
that in play. Cats think they are so tough when they spit.

Rhonda

Old October 7th 05, 06:32 PM
Lumpy

"Rhonda" wrote in message
That's pretty funny. I love to hear a cat spit, ours kittens used to do
that in play. Cats think they are so tough when they spit.

hee hee, yes, she does indeed appear to think she is very
fearsome!