Question about spaying

Old October 10th 05, 08:00 AM
DAdriano

Default Question about spaying

Hello everyone...newbie here posting for the first time.

I was wondering: My 1 1/2 year old cat has been in heat for the last few
months, and unfortunately I cannot afford to fix her just yet. (I keep her
inside so there is no danger of her getting pregnant) I've heard that
females stay in heat until they are either fixed or get pregnant. My
question is, my cat seems to be getting quite a bit more mean...is this
because of her being in heat for so long? There is a mobile spay station
that comes around my area that does low cost spaying, and I am planning on
doing that. Does anyone think her temperament will go back to the sweet
little girl kitty she was before?

Thanks for your time...
Deidre

Old October 10th 05, 02:09 PM
Gail

Yes, her personality will be sweet again once she is spayed. Her health will
be better, also.
Gail

Old October 10th 05, 05:56 PM
Topaz

"DAdriano" wrote in message
Hello everyone...newbie here posting for the first time.

Hi Deidre!

I was wondering: My 1 1/2 year old cat has been in heat for the last few
months, and unfortunately I cannot afford to fix her just yet. (I keep her
inside so there is no danger of her getting pregnant)

First, I just want to commend you for doing the right thing and keeping her
inside
since you have not spayed your kitty yet. By not allowing her to breed you
are saving
countless cats from suffering--as you know the overpopulation problem is so
bad
hundreds of thousands of kittens are killed every week nationwide.

I've heard that
females stay in heat until they are either fixed or get pregnant. My
question is, my cat seems to be getting quite a bit more mean...is this
because of her being in heat for so long? There is a mobile spay station
that comes around my area that does low cost spaying, and I am planning on
doing that. Does anyone think her temperament will go back to the sweet
little girl kitty she was before?

You will be amazed at the change once you have her spayed. She will focus
more on you and not be in discomfort any more. Also I hope you will continue
to keep her in when she is spayed, as there are so many dangers outside.
Indoor-only cats live much longer and do not encounter injury, poison and
the like as often. Do you have any catlovers in your family? Maybe you could
ask everyone to pitch in for your birthday and help with kitty's spaying.
You
might also be able to put a bit aside until you have enough. Good luck.

Old October 10th 05, 11:02 PM
Phil P.

"DAdriano" wrote in message
Hello everyone...newbie here posting for the first time.

I was wondering: My 1 1/2 year old cat has been in heat for the last few
months, and unfortunately I cannot afford to fix her just yet. (I keep her
inside so there is no danger of her getting pregnant) I've heard that
females stay in heat until they are either fixed or get pregnant. My
question is, my cat seems to be getting quite a bit more mean...is this
because of her being in heat for so long? There is a mobile spay station
that comes around my area that does low cost spaying, and I am planning on
doing that. Does anyone think her temperament will go back to the sweet
little girl kitty she was before?

Neutered females are more playful, friendlier to other household cats,
tolerate handling better, and are generally happier and calmer than intact
females.

The longer you wait to have her neutered, the greater the risk of developing
mammary cancer later in life.

Phil

Old October 11th 05, 03:57 AM
Rhonda

If you can get to the mobile station, they can spay a cat in heat. It
may cost a little more -- $10-20 more. We had two cats in heat spayed.

You might also call the Humane Society and see if they can recommend a
low cost organization. Our vet here donates her time one weekend day a
month for free vet services.

She'll be happier after she's fixed and healed.

Good luck,

Rhonda