Home for Love-Starved Cats?

Old October 10th 05, 09:04 AM
jmc

Default Home for Love-Starved Cats?

Suddenly, without warning, Brandy Alexandre exclaimed (10-Oct-05 4:14 AM):
Is there some invisible sign that neighborhood cats put on your door to
tell other cats "get love here?" Boots was by meowing at the door this
morning, so I lavished some love on him and sent him on his way. Then,
a few hours later, there was a different meow at my door. I opened it
to a really sweet calico with a tag that said she was Chloe. I pleyed
with her a bit--very spunky--and then she left. How did she know to
park at my door and meow?

Kami's annoyed by it. I've invited both cats in and she wasn't the
least bit amused. Oddly, both cats are declawed, but I was impressed
with Chloe. While we were hording around outside she went right up the
tree. She hug with her front lags and propelled with her back. I
still don't think declaws should be allowed out side.

Yea, declaws do learn. I made that mistake in my (very) younger days,
and Mouse just learned that anything she wanted to rip to pieces, she
just needed to grab and have at it with her hinds (or of course, simply
bite!). She was 18# of pure Maine Coon muscle, so she was very good at
that.

I agree, it's a dangerous enough world for cats with all their defenses.

jmc
Old October 10th 05, 02:47 PM
Joe Canuck

Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Is there some invisible sign that neighborhood cats put on your door to
tell other cats "get love here?" Boots was by meowing at the door this
morning, so I lavished some love on him and sent him on his way. Then,
a few hours later, there was a different meow at my door. I opened it
to a really sweet calico with a tag that said she was Chloe. I pleyed
with her a bit--very spunky--and then she left. How did she know to
park at my door and meow?

Kami's annoyed by it. I've invited both cats in and she wasn't the
least bit amused.

No surprise there, she knows better than you and doesn't want to catch
something... like say ear mites.

Oddly, both cats are declawed, but I was impressed
with Chloe. While we were hording around outside she went right up the
tree. She hug with her front lags and propelled with her back. I
still don't think declaws should be allowed out side.

So what are you going to do about that... other than come to the
newsgroup to express your opinion?

Old October 10th 05, 06:56 PM

Joe Canuck wrote:
Brandy Alexandre wrote:
Is there some invisible sign that neighborhood cats put on your door to
tell other cats "get love here?" Boots was by meowing at the door this
morning, so I lavished some love on him and sent him on his way. Then,
a few hours later, there was a different meow at my door. I opened it
to a really sweet calico with a tag that said she was Chloe. I pleyed
with her a bit--very spunky--and then she left. How did she know to
park at my door and meow?

Kami's annoyed by it. I've invited both cats in and she wasn't the
least bit amused.

Cats know. They did one study was it where the cats knew when an owner
was coming home, even if on a varible shift! Did not need a telephone
call. This was in UK as I recall. When the cat would get up from
slumbering, the guy would show in around 20 minutes.

No surprise there, she knows better than you and doesn't want to catch
something... like say ear mites.

Females are very real estate possessive. The males just want an excuse
to fight.

Oddly, both cats are declawed, but I was impressed
with Chloe. While we were hording around outside she went right up the
tree. She hug with her front lags and propelled with her back. I
still don't think declaws should be allowed out side.

So what are you going to do about that... other than come to the
newsgroup to express your opinion?

What do you suggest? Outlawing declawing might be a start. And the
vets? Teaching people or making a mandatory course in high school - how
to treat your pet to a scratching post with catnip. Put that course
along others. Like don't declaw your pets, declaw your parents!

Old October 10th 05, 09:56 PM

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

He just like to be contrarian with me. I have him plonked, but I
see some of his comments when others reply. Last time when I said
Boots wanted love he thought I *should* let the cat in. You'll find
the Joke Canuck will find something wrong with absolutely everything
I post.

Some cats are like that. Their only good day is a bad day

Old October 10th 05, 10:29 PM
Joe Canuck

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Joe Canuck wrote:

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

[...]

It isn't my fault if there IS something wrong with everything you say.

shrug rolls eyes

I believe the subject of that thread which you originated was
"Neighbor's Cat Annoying Me".

I'd say if you are annoyed by cats... any cat, then you are in the wrong
newsgroup.

Apparently even your own cat annoyed you... so you had her declawed.

The fact that you try to misrepresent what I did say once again goes to
your credibility... or rather the complete lack of.

BTW, below is what I really did say. Notice anything about inviting the
cat inside? No.

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:21:44 -0400
From: Joe Canuck
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Neighbor's Cat Annoying Me

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

Okay, I love cats, we know that.

We do?

We only know what you are telling us. I suspect those who truly love
cats don't go around proclaiming they do... they just DO.

Actually, your subject line speaks volumes... those who love cats are
never annoyed by them. We tolerate their quirks with a smile and
thoroughly enjoy their company... even at 6 am in the morning.

I've felt a little sorry for Boots
because, even though he appears to want to be outside, he's lonesome.
If he sees me, he wants to come in.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but there was a cat fight right in
front of my living room window and I opened the door and it was Boots.
He doesn't have claws, but he's a good 25+ pounds and was giving some
poor cat the "what for." Boots saw me and came up for lovin' but
escaped my grasp when the other cat took off and went chasing after it.
He's a bully!

Anyway, so now he's absolutely sure where I live and comes and meows at
my door. He then figured out which patio was mine and was meowing at
*that* door. And THEN at 6:00 a.m. Saturday, he's meowing at my
bedroom window. I can tell him to be quiet and go home, but he makes
me feel so bad when I shut the door in his face.

Yet, you still shut the door in his face.

Suggestions?

Yes, stop shutting the door in his face. Easy huh?

Old October 10th 05, 11:03 PM
Phil P.

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message

You'll find
the Joke Canuck will find something wrong with absolutely everything
I post.

That's not very hard to do.

Old October 11th 05, 01:47 AM
Paul M. Cook

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
Brandy Alexandre wrote:

wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Joe Canuck wrote:

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

[...]

local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.magma.ca!news.m agma.ca.POSTED!not-for-mai
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:21:44 -0400
From: Joe Canuck

Gecko/20050319
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

fm7DqBBTWaYvDhOX1EIH!ylFGpgJvkoPsp2STNKyuddhFJqpQG xN7dpujC2r6wTtxW53zPuIRIBz
SGgUkfrSe6jl4d2rw

complaint properly

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

Okay, I love cats, we know that.

We do?

We only know what you are telling us. I suspect those who truly love
cats don't go around proclaiming they do... they just DO.

Actually, your subject line speaks volumes... those who love cats are
never annoyed by them. We tolerate their quirks with a smile and
thoroughly enjoy their company... even at 6 am in the morning.

This is just patently ridiculous. *This* is the basis for your opinion?
That somebody does not gleefully welcome the presence of a pushy and loud
cat in the wee hours of the morning? I'm an animal lover too but to say
that somehow somebody's love is questionable because they aren't on-call
24x7 whenever a stray comes around howling is a stretch. I have 2 cats, one
of which annoyed the living hell out of me the first year we were together.
I mean you had to be there. But I love the little guy with my whole being,
he's mine for life, I would die if anything happened to him, I'd not trade
him for 1 second (though for a while I did entertain the idea of making an
oven mitt out of his annoying little ass.) I love him more every day even
though just today he threw up all over a stack of undeposited checks, tossed
litter all over a freshly cleaned floor after a ripping good BM and woke me
up at 4:30 by jumping with all his weight on my chest. Was I annoyed? You
better believe it. What did I do about it? I went back to bed grumpy,
swearing and recalling the oven-mitt idea after flicking him off my bed like
a tiddly-wink (which he seemed to interpret as an invitation to play.) He
still loves me and I still love him. We tolerate each other and I'm sure I
annoy him too from time to time.

Lots and lots of people post to this group with every manner of cat stpry
you can think of. I don;t see you jumping down their throats, so why just
pick on a selcted target?

Paul

Old October 11th 05, 02:26 AM
Joe Canuck

Paul M. Cook wrote:

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:21:44 -0400
From: Joe Canuck

Gecko/20050319

Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

Okay, I love cats, we know that.

We do?

We only know what you are telling us. I suspect those who truly love
cats don't go around proclaiming they do... they just DO.

Actually, your subject line speaks volumes... those who love cats are
never annoyed by them. We tolerate their quirks with a smile and
thoroughly enjoy their company... even at 6 am in the morning.

This is just patently ridiculous.

Really? Am I alone in *never* being annoyed by my pets?

Isn't life far too short to spend even a tiny portion of it annoyed?

I think so.

*This* is the basis for your opinion?

It is?

Where did I say that?

[...]

One doesn't sleep well grumpy.

I'd say life is too short to spend even a small portion of it annoyed.

Old October 11th 05, 02:35 AM
Paul M. Cook

I'd say life is too short to spend even a small portion of it annoyed.

Then you picked a strange place to hang out.

Paul

Old October 11th 05, 02:41 AM
Joe Canuck

Paul M. Cook wrote:

I'd say life is too short to spend even a small portion of it annoyed.

Then you picked a strange place to hang out.

Paul

I enjoy Usenet and never get annoyed.

You see, I don't take much of what goes on here seriously and keep my
sense of humour near the surface.