Just a cute story

Old October 11th 05, 05:55 PM
DAdriano

Default Just a cute story

Sorry folks...just have to ramble a bit.

This morning, after walking my 1st grader to school, a neighborhood kitty
came up to me. She is a cute gray and white little thing that is just
absolutely adorable. When I was petting her she purred and put her little
paw up on my chest...like she was saying, "Oh please pet me more." It was so
adorable! So I went to pick her up and she jumped up on my shoulder and
started bumping her head into my ear. Unfortunately in my neighborhood,
there are a lot of people who just keep their cats outside. It makes me
feel bad for them because their owners don't pay any attention to them.
This little gray kitty runs up to me everytime I'm outside.

Old October 11th 05, 08:07 PM

snip story about cat running loose outside

Does this little kitty have ID tags? If not and she is running loose
with no obvious home, you should grab her, keep her in a separate room
and bring her to the spay van when you bring your other cat. They can
shave her belly and check for a spay scar. If she doesn't have one they
can spay her along with the other cat and you will have done a great
service to cats everywhere by preventing more additions to an already
overpopulated world and some unnecessary deaths. You could then find her
home with a responsible person.

If there's no way to identify her as owned, don't worry about the
possibility she belongs somewhere. I have a rule that if a cat is
running loose with no ID and not neutered they are fair game for fixing
and rehoming. Obviously it's easier to know if a male is not neutered,
but shaving the belly of a cat that might have a home just to check for
a spay scar is no harm done.

I rescued a cat last week that fits this criteria. Running loose, no ID
and definitely has an infestation of earmites. I have her in a foster
home and she's going in tomorrow for testing and spay (if she doesn't
show evidence she has been spayed already.) Even if she was, she'll be
adopted out instead of going back on the street because whoever had her
didn't care enough about her to keep her identifiable, healthy and free
of mites.

I cannot in good conscience turn away from unneutered cats roaming
around. There are just too many cats already and millions dying, and
neutering even one cat makes a difference. You're lucky you have a spay
van where you live. We have no such thing in my city and don't have low
cost clinics, so you pay full price or it doesn't get done. It's a real
travesty and it's disgusting that our local humane society, who is one
of the richest in the country, has yet to implement any sort of
neutering program that could prevent a lot of unwanted births and
subsequent surrender of animals.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 11th 05, 08:27 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (11-Oct-05 8:07 PM):
[...]

I hope you have them checked scanned for a chip before you rehome them!
I know some folks that consider collars on an outdoor cat to be
dangerous, but have them chipped so they *are* identifiable.

I'm not going to get into the indoor/outdoor debate, but I think that
with as many cats as are chipped these days, one should really have that
checked before assuming the cat's homeless!

jmc
Old October 11th 05, 09:20 PM
5cats

jmc wrote:

[...]

Almost exactly what I was going to say! My (indoor) cats have microchips
and only Mr. master escape artist wears a collar as well. But even his
collar is a safety collar that could be easily pulled off if snagged. I
sure hope that anyone responsible enough to spay and rehome strays would
also be scanning for micro-chipped lost pets.

Old October 11th 05, 10:51 PM
Phil P.

wrote in message
snip story about cat running loose outside

One

Does this little kitty have ID tags? If not and she is running loose
with no obvious home, you should grab her

Two

I have a rule that if a cat is
running loose with no ID and not neutered they are fair game for fixing
and rehoming.

Three

I rescued a cat last week that fits this criteria. Running loose, no ID

You mentioned 'no ID' -referring to *tags* three times. Don't ASSume every
stray is abandoned and homeless just because they're not wearing tags. Did
the thought occur to you that maybe the cats were *microchipped* and *have*
a home but got out and were just lost? Many people don't put collars on
their cats because collars can strangle a cat if it gets caught on
something- even the break-aways don't always break away.

Your "rule" defeats the purpose of microchips. Next time you "rescue"a cat
that isn't wearing ID tags, get the cat *scanned* so you don't end up
rehoming someone's dearly loved lost cat.

Old October 11th 05, 11:37 PM

I hope you have them checked scanned fo
a chip before you rehome them!

Any cats get routinely scanned for microchips. In all the years since
they were first introduced I have yet to rescue a single cat that has a
microchip,
and in 28 years of rescue a total of only two cats were already fixed.
Sad Isn't it? Where I live the odds of winning the lottery are better
than finding a chip in a cat. If it was chipped of course the owner
would be contacted.

Considering the fact that I was specifically addressing unneutered cats
I didn't think I needed to mention anything WRT to microchips. It seems
obvious, to me anyway, that unneutered cats roaming the neighborhood day
and night are not likely to have a microchip.

Old October 12th 05, 05:06 AM
Meghan Noecker

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 05:40:04 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio
] wrote:

You got me curious about the price of a chip reader. A
quick search turned up prices from around $250 - 500.
That's a bit costly for an individual who would just like
to see if a cat is chipped or not.

Any vet or shelter should be able to scan the cat to see if it has a
chip. If you are bringing in a cat you found, they probably wouldn't
even charge you. It takes only a minute.

Besides, anybody rehoming a cat whould be having it checked at a vet,
so it wouldn't be hard to ask them to check that while you are there
anyway.

When I adopted my last cat, the shelter lady scanned him to make sure
the number matched the records she was giving me. She's not the only
person in her rescue out at events adopting out cats, but she has that
scanner with her at every show to confirm every ID when they go out.
It's a standard tool now.

--
Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
Old October 12th 05, 05:20 AM
cybercat

] wrote:

You got me curious about the price of a chip reader. A
quick search turned up prices from around $250 - 500.
That's a bit costly for an individual who would just like
to see if a cat is chipped or not.

Any vet or shelter should be able to scan the cat to see if it has a
chip. If you are bringing in a cat you found, they probably wouldn't
even charge you. It takes only a minute.

Besides, anybody rehoming a cat whould be having it checked at a vet,
so it wouldn't be hard to ask them to check that while you are there
anyway.

When I adopted my last cat, the shelter lady scanned him to make sure
the number matched the records she was giving me. She's not the only
person in her rescue out at events adopting out cats, but she has that
scanner with her at every show to confirm every ID when they go out.
It's a standard tool now.

Welcome back, Meghan!! You have been missed.

Old October 12th 05, 05:57 AM

I dont know what I would do if my
harmless, sweet indoor/outdoor cat would
be captured and her belly shaved by a
some busybody neighborhood idiot.

It's unfortunate your ignorance would allow you to think that being
concerned about the very real and deadly pet overpopulation problem and
taking action to help stop unwanted births is idiotic.

If you choose to be irresponsible and allow your cat to roam your
neighborhood unsupervised, don't complain if something happens to her.
It's not only your responsibility, but your obligation to keep her safe
and out of harm's way. If anything you should be grateful if the worst
that happened is that a concerned person had her belly shaved to make
sure she was spayed and didn't contribute to this:
http://community.webtv.net/zuzu22/overpopulation

I'm not a violent person, but when my
family is harmed, all bets are off.

If you think shaving a belly is harmful there is something very wrong
with you.