I think I'm going to leave my cat Callie go...It hurts

Old October 14th 05, 12:01 AM
Rick

Default I think I'm going to leave my cat Callie go...It hurts

For those of you who pray please say a little prayer for my baby Callie. I
rushed her to the hospital on Tuesday night and she has been there since. It
is now Thursday evening. It was discovered that she is diabetic, she had a
urinary tract infection, her glucose was very high, ketone levels were very
high. She showed some improvement since Tuesday but is still not very
responsive and she isn't eating. The doctor said her kidneys seem to be
failing. She was on a special diet for that but it seems like there isn't
much hope. So tonight we agreed keeping her in the hospital another night
and if she got any better and if they could get her to eat maybe bringing
her home to see how she does for a couple of days but the prognosis from the
doctor is that she is really concerned about her kidneys and realistically
is thinking even if we started treatment for the diabetes that she might
only make a couple more months because of her kidneys.

I don't want her to have to linger and waste away. The dreaded decision that
I never wanted to have to make has been discussed. I'm back and forth on
whether to bring her home for a couple days. If she does come home and gets
worse there is the stress of transporting her. The hospital is about a 25
minute drive. I just don't know if I should put her through the stress of
transporting her again. She's 14 years old and has had a really good life.
We've had a very special connection. I'm so sad. I have heard some people
have their pets go to sleep at home but I don't know if that is a good idea.

This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.

I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and lots of you
have already been through this. This is my first time dealing with a
possible loss.

Thanks for listening... Ricky

Old October 14th 05, 01:05 AM
Karen

On 2005-10-13 18:01:31 -0500, "Rick" said:

[...]

It's a very hard decision. My thoughts are with you.

Old October 14th 05, 02:49 AM
Candace

Rick wrote:

This hurts so much. I love her more than anything or anybody.

I'm sorry to be spreading my sadness but I know you all care and lots of you
have already been through this. This is my first time dealing with a
possible loss.

Thanks for listening... Ricky

I'm sorry. It *is* very hard to decide when is the right time. My
thoughts are with you and your sweet kitty, If you feel certain she
won't improve, now may be the time but you know her best so don't let
anyone sway your opinion. Prayers going out to Callie.

Candace

Old October 14th 05, 02:57 AM

Rick,

I', so so sorry, hon I know it;s heartbreaker,,,almst a year ago 15
yr old Sam Cat had to be put down...then are many ways to honor them, I
chose to dedicate a fav book abt cats at my local library, there also
is site that does it
which I can;t rememebr the name of, the greif newsgroup for pet has the
info

everone was very nice nice to me, but don't be aprig to up about it,
after all a member for your family died, let your gried in what ever
manner suites'cryinh journaling, talking to your freinds, do take
take care of your self

lynn

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.
Oscar Wilde

Old October 14th 05, 08:34 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:01:31 GMT, "Rick"
wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry your cat is in such poor shape. I would bring her home, to
see how she does. Based on the cat stories I read here, it seem like
there is some chance she could get better, although probably a slim
one.

If she continues to decline, perhaps you can get a kindly vet to come
in and euthenize her at home.

As long as she is not in great discomfort, I think you can allow
yourself some time to make this decision and prepare for it.

Charlie

Old October 14th 05, 09:26 AM
IBen Getiner

Rick wrote:
[...]

Sorry to hear about your kitty's plight, Rick. And yours as well. I
think that sometimes, the hardest thing to do is the right thing. Don't
feel bad about it (yeah, right). Really, though... It sounds for sure
like you brought much happiness to this little creature's life while
she was here with us. But there comes a time when we have that duty to
our faithful fuzzy friends (I wish that people could qualify for this
same benefit sometimes. Why should we not receive the same tender
mercies as our animals when the time of endless suffering comes?).
Endless suffering is not living, Rick. It is not even death. It is
worse than death. Endless pain and suffering is worse than death
because it is not compatible with wholesome living and daily happiness.
Some things are worse than death, Rick. Focus on that vision and
remember who your friends are...

IBen

Old October 14th 05, 03:22 PM
chas

My thoughts are with you.

Be guided by the vet and of course, by Callie. I had this decision to make a
few years back with a cat who suffered from cancer. Only a major op
discovered the cancer. I had to decide whether to bring him home and get him
over the op only for him to last another few weeks or to have him out sleep
without bringing him back.

I opted for the latter. He would have had not quality of life and it is
always quality over quantity which guides me.

chas

Old October 14th 05, 06:35 PM
Barb

I'm sorry to learn about Callie. I kept my own Sapphire, 15, going a week
longer than she was comfortable because we were waiting for a biopsy report
and the start of chemo that we thought would help her. It didn't and we
finally had to let her go. I had a special bond with this cat like no other
so I know what this is like.

I know you'll try to do your best for Callie, whatever you decide that is.

Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Old October 14th 05, 07:48 PM
Rick

Thank you all for your kind words. It looked really bad last night but today
her doctor said her kidney values looked better and she was sitting up. So I
took the day off and went to visit her. She improved from last night and she
ate some solid food. She will not eat for anyone else, but the food she ate
for me was her favorite, Fancy Feast Trout. The doctor said it would be ok
to give her some of it. She might not be ready to give up. The doctor wants
to keep her another night in the hospital and will run more tests on her
kidneys. If the kidney values haven't gone back up she might be able to come
home tomorrow.

I'm hopeful again but at the same time cautious that she could turn the
other way. What a rollercoaster of emotions.

Thanks again for all your support. They sure do get into our hearts don't
they?

Old October 14th 05, 07:56 PM
chas

Things are sounding promising.