Interesting feline obsession

Old October 18th 05, 08:11 AM
Opus-

Default Interesting feline obsession

Hi [first time posting here]

My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.

First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
pure black shorthair.
He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.

For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
times except when he is carrying it. If I toss the ball back
downstairs, he won't chase it, but he will bring it back up sometime
during the night. On a weekend we sometimes stay up late watching a
movie downstairs. On those nights, he will bring the ball back
downstairs. He seems obsessed with keeping that ball near us but only
at night. The ball has never had any meaning to him, at least as far
as we can tell. He has always totally ignored it except when he was
carrying it.
It's quite harmless and amusing, so I am simply curious as to what he
is thinking. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance.

--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.
Old October 18th 05, 11:46 AM
IBen Getiner

Opus- wrote:
[...]

He probably wants you to play with him. Our cat is very smart, and will
actually fetch and retrieve balls the wife throws down the hall for him
sometimes. It sounds like your kat is a little smarter than your
average kat, too. He may surprise you. Play with that boy!

IBen

Old October 18th 05, 03:57 PM
cybercat

"Opus-" wrote in message
[...]

My cat does this with a rubber snake. I get the feeling she is
both practicing hunting prey and giving me a gift of love.

Thanx in advance.

Old October 18th 05, 04:30 PM
MaryL

"Opus-" wrote in message
Hi [first time posting here]

My cat has an interesting and cute obsession.

First, his name is Baggy and he is a very healthy neutered 13 year old
pure black shorthair.
He is a well adjusted, friendly cat that loves to be picked up by me.
There are 4 of us here but he only really wants to be held by me.

For the last 2 years or so, he picked up this weird habit. We have
this little juggling ball that much resembles a hackey-sack ball. At
night when we are upstairs in bed he soon follows with the ball in his
mouth, howling the whole time. Once upstairs, he drops the ball and
totally ignores it after that. He completely ignores the ball at all
times except when he is carrying it.

snip

Thanx in advance.

--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

I think he is bringing you a gift, much like cats will bring mice and other
"catches" and drop them at your feed. Holly does this every night, and
always with the same little red mouse.

MaryL

Old October 28th 05, 06:31 AM
Opus-

On 18 Oct 2005 03:46:17 -0700, "IBen Getiner" spake
thusly:

Opus- wrote:
[...]

Not very likely. He does this when we are all asleep and he comes up
to join us. And, when awake, will have nothing to do with the ball
when prompted.

Old October 28th 05, 06:33 AM
Opus-

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:57:21 -0400, "cybercat"
spake thusly:

"Opus-" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That sounds possible. He is watching me now as I type this. I wonder
what he's thinking? ;-)

Old October 28th 05, 06:41 AM
Opus-

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:30:58 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER spake thusly:

"Opus-" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

That might be, except that he brings it up to the top of the stairs
and no further. He doesn't bring it into our bedroom too often and
never brings it up onto the bed.

Old October 29th 05, 01:42 AM
whitershadeofpale

That's cute!

I agree, sounds like a gift. Hey, at least it's not a dead bird, or a
real rat!

Opus- wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:30:58 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER spake thusly:

.. .