Mini cats

Old October 18th 05, 08:14 PM
Chuck

Default Mini cats

Does anyone have any knowledge about
mini cats?

I have a few abandoned cats that have
taken refuge in by backyard -- yes, I
feed them (cheap dry food).

A rather small female had a litter about 5-
6 mo. ago and 2 of them seem to be mini.

Both are female, one is a gray tabby, the
other is a light gray tabby with a white chest,
mouth area, and feet. Both are cute as a
button, sweet natured, and look normal in
every way (not dwarves) but stand only 6-7"
or so at the shoulder.

Any input?

Chuck

Old October 18th 05, 08:28 PM
rpl

Chuck wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge about
mini cats?

I have a few abandoned cats that have
taken refuge in by backyard -- yes, I
feed them (cheap dry food).

A rather small female had a litter about 5-
6 mo. ago and 2 of them seem to be mini.

Both are female, one is a gray tabby, the
other is a light gray tabby with a white chest,
mouth area, and feet. Both are cute as a
button, sweet natured, and look normal in
every way (not dwarves) but stand only 6-7"
or so at the shoulder.

I don't think there's such a thing as a "mini" breed (or line) of
domestic cats. Some torties seem to be small but they're usually
shorthairs anyways so it can be hard to tell.

6-7" at the shoulder doesn't sound small for 6 mo. old... are the others
males ? 5-6 mo. is when their hormones kick in and they can bulk up
considerably.
Old October 18th 05, 08:55 PM
Chuck

rpl wrote in message
news
Chuck wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge about
mini cats?

I have a few abandoned cats that have
taken refuge in by backyard -- yes, I
feed them (cheap dry food).

A rather small female had a litter about 5-
6 mo. ago and 2 of them seem to be mini.

Both are female, one is a gray tabby, the
other is a light gray tabby with a white chest,
mouth area, and feet. Both are cute as a
button, sweet natured, and look normal in
every way (not dwarves) but stand only 6-7"
or so at the shoulder.

I don't think there's such a thing as a "mini" breed (or line) of
domestic cats. Some torties seem to be small but they're usually
shorthairs anyways so it can be hard to tell.

6-7" at the shoulder doesn't sound small for 6 mo. old... are the others
males ? 5-6 mo. is when their hormones kick in and they can bulk up
considerably.

The other cats in the litter seem more normal
in size (about 1 - 1½ in. taller). One is a black
female, the other a black male.

I have a 2 yr old male tabby (neutered, from the
mom of the small female I referred to) that
stands 9½" at the shoulder and is noticeably
smaller than any of the other cats I have (the
largest stands 12½" at the shoulder).

The reason I ask, there is another mini male
(1 yr old and un-neutered) that stands 9¼". He
is pure gray, and his mom is the original mom
(a small-ish gray Persian-looking female). I was
wondering if it's possible to get a breed of mini
cats from these, or should I just find homes for
them and forget it?

Chuck

Old October 18th 05, 09:57 PM
PawsForThought

Chuck wrote:
The reason I ask, there is another mini male
(1 yr old and un-neutered) that stands 9¼". He
is pure gray, and his mom is the original mom
(a small-ish gray Persian-looking female). I was
wondering if it's possible to get a breed of mini
cats from these, or should I just find homes for
them and forget it?

I would strongly urge you to have this cats fixed and then place them
in good homes. There is a so-called breed of cat, the name escapes me
now, that have been bred because of their short legs. To me, it seems
cruel to make a deformity or abnormality a "breed". The cats you have
just sound small.

Lauren

Old October 18th 05, 10:18 PM
No More Retail

It almost sounds like the cat has the problem stunted growth a form of
dwarfism caused by malnutrion if they are strays very good possibility. And
the idea of breeding the animals chuck is not very appealing. Take the cats
to a low cost spay and neuter center get their shots and everything and find
them a good and loving home. If you have trouble finding a center post the
general area that your are in. I can find one in the US usually with no
problem.

And the breed of mini cats are called tea cup cats and from what I
understand they do not have a normal life span and are extremely fragile to
it surroundings environment

Old October 18th 05, 10:56 PM
Chuck

No More Retail wrote in message
om...
It almost sounds like the cat has the problem stunted growth a form of
dwarfism caused by malnutrion if they are strays very good possibility. And
the idea of breeding the animals chuck is not very appealing. Take the cats
to a low cost spay and neuter center get their shots and everything and find
them a good and loving home. If you have trouble finding a center post the
general area that your are in. I can find one in the US usually with no
problem.

And the breed of mini cats are called tea cup cats and from what I
understand they do not have a normal life span and are extremely fragile to
it surroundings environment

From what I've read already, dwarfism is
distinctive of short legs, with a normal body
size. This is not the case.

Malnutrition is not, in any way, a possibility.

I have read some stuff that would indicate
healthy, normal minicats seem to come from
small, Persian females-- as was pretty much
the case here. In this case, the genetic pool
seems to be quite diversified (the problem
with tea-cup cats is apparently their limited
gene pool).

They're just soooo cute! I thought they may
be breedable (not in a cage, though)!

Chuck

Old October 18th 05, 11:00 PM
Chuck

PawsForThought wrote in message
oups.com...

Chuck wrote:
The reason I ask, there is another mini male
(1 yr old and un-neutered) that stands 9¼". He
is pure gray, and his mom is the original mom
(a small-ish gray Persian-looking female). I was
wondering if it's possible to get a breed of mini
cats from these, or should I just find homes for
them and forget it?

I would strongly urge you to have this cats fixed and then place them
in good homes. There is a so-called breed of cat, the name escapes me
now, that have been bred because of their short legs. To me, it seems
cruel to make a deformity or abnormality a "breed". The cats you have
just sound small.

Lauren

---

Yes, quite small, normal looking, and really
cute!

I agree that breeding deformities is not a
good thing.

Chuck

Old October 19th 05, 12:55 AM
Shadow Walker

If these cats your feeding have not been to a vet and wormed then
malnutrition is a possibility. They can be suffering malnutrition just
enough to not get the nutrition they need to grow. that's why most wild born
cats are small. Take wild kittens away from their mother vet them, worm them
and they will get bigger than mom and dad. The next generation will be even
more normal domestic size. I have had to capture, tame, raise and remove
wild cats. They are usually smaller than your average house cat but don't
look like they are suffering from malnutrition until you see their gums,
compare weight and size, and look closely at their coats. Worms, internal
parasites, fleas, earmites the list goes on and on, how could they possibly
not have some kind of malnutrition going on?

I would suggest getting the females spayed very soon before they have more
kittens. They are the age for that and if they do get pregnant then they
really will not grow more. Children having children syndrome.

Gina

Old October 19th 05, 08:11 PM
Chuck

Shadow Walker wrote in message
[...]

Uh huh... and I was born yesterday, and haven't
had any experience with cats, both feral and
domestic for the last 50 or so years... that I
cannot recognize symptoms or anything else ITR--
only the big superior Ego's here have all the right
answers-- as was the case in the "oh no, the sky
is falling" replies when I asked if anyone had any
experience with bone growths (IRT my cat Maxi).

Than one cost me $125 for nothing-- as it turned
out, my deductions were correct in the first place.
Apparently my common-sense gut feelings seems
more applicable than the pejorative "oh no... bad
bad" judgments that seem to be so prevalent here.

In any event, I came here foolishly thinking I could
engage in a discussion IRT minicats-- a potentially
interesting subject-- not to get chided for imagined
misdeeds, or get unsolicited diagnosis on cat's
never seen by self appointed know-it-alls.

Silly me!

~C
Enjoy your flames...

Old October 19th 05, 09:00 PM
No More Retail

Well if you gut feeling was so right WHY did you do it well simple
answer you did not for sure if you were right. You did not waste $125 you
spent $125 to have peace of mind about a loved one. Money well spent and
worth the pain.

Silly us you described several problems got feed back about all of them.
Silly us for giving a care no matter what I still care and willing to help

Than you ask about another problem and get feed back and get prissy
about it. This is the usernet you will get opinions from all sorts. A cat
can be eating, look healthy and have a severe problem of malnutrition.
Unless you are a trained and certified vet not matter how much experience
you have YOU can not make a diagnoses. A cat may look healthy but how are
the cats gums, is the cat having correct stool movements, is the cats
belly tender, is the cat running a fever, is the cats' coat rough, does the
cat have a intense thirst, is the cat vomiting, is the cat wheezing or
unexplained choking, is the cat having fainting spells. You can not answer
those questions the cats according to you live in your back yard and a an
outside cat can have heartworms real easy it is spread by mosquitoes. Real
easy to prevent it simple once a month medication

And I have over 40 years with cats plus 20 years as a volunteer in shelters
and I know that if it ain't obvious have a pro check it out.

I believe I offered to find you a low cost vet if you let me know what
general area you lived in I can find out where no cost or low cost vet
service is or isn't. I can post home remedies for alot of aliments for
cats. I don't need to know what address just general area such as the
county and state

Dwarfism covers several aspect other than just stubby legs. the cat might
be smaller due to being a stray its mother might have been inbreeding for a
long time, the cat could have some nutrition problem. As for the other post
that benign cyst could have been cancer, a tumor a pocket of infection
there is so much stuff out there unless you are a trained vet all you can do
is guess. You got people opinions and experiences out here you made the
decision to do it but you lacked to tell us if you called the vet and asked
what it could be or not. And I will bet if you did the vet said come in it
could be a problem. Just my 50 cents

performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:24 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM