Why does cat do this...

Old October 22nd 05, 09:24 PM
Flycaster

Default Why does cat do this...

During the first few years, Kismet was never any too affectionate. But,
slowly with patience and time, she would purr a little and let me pet
her. Often times, the petting would end with a cat nip. I never forced
myself on her and was always attentive to when she got ansey. I do
believe that she is inherently an ansey cat as exhibited by her tail
flicking most of the time. Of course, she never let's anyone else pet
her and only my wife can touch her, ocassionally. Now that she is about
8 years old (and in good health and very active...still climbs to high
places with the house and loves chasing lizards that are outside our
enclosed patio), she definitely is showing more affection to both me and
my wife. Most interestingly, it is when we are at the computer that she
will let us pet her for relatively long periods of time and without cat
nips. She'll settle herself down on the desk, between me and the
computer, and let me (wife) pet her.

I know that when I first got her as an abandoned kitten and noted her
aloof behavior, many on this site said it could take years for her to
settle in. Well, she is nowhere near as affectionate other cats we have
had, but we're quite happy that she's gotten to where she is. I'd like
to know (speculate) why she picks the computer spot to relax and allow
us to make nice to her.
--
To email, erase "forgetit"
Old October 23rd 05, 12:05 AM
Spot

It could be the sound of the PC running is soothing to her plus if it puts
off any heat she could be enjoying that. I know two of mine love to lay on
the computer desk and also like to lay in front of the refrigerator vents
where it's warm.

Celeste

Old October 23rd 05, 12:45 AM
Karen

On 2005-10-22 15:24:13 -0500, Flycaster said:

[...]

You don't make any sudden moves while at the computer. Plus, it's fun.
It's distracting. Ever tried reading a newspaper? That seems to be a
draw as well.