jasmine's dirty bum

Old October 25th 05, 11:37 AM
meee

Default jasmine's dirty bum

Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine has
had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just black
dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be from
this. She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have been
cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food. Since
then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.

Old October 25th 05, 12:28 PM
Joe Canuck

meee wrote:

Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine has
had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just black
dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be from
this. She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have been
cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food. Since
then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.

Is the litter material dusty?

If so, have you tried repeatedly pouring it from one container to
another while outside to "shake off" some of the dust in the air?

Does she have a large box with room to move around?

Higher humidy will cause items to somewhat stick as well.

Old October 26th 05, 12:14 AM
meee

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
meee wrote:

[...]

The litter material isn't very dusty, it's hard shiny pellets that go soft
and grassy looking when wet. She has a large box, so i'm thinking it quite
possibly is the humidity; it's very hot and humid here at the moment, and
will only get worse. we've got air con in every room except hers, she only
has a fan. however I'm happy about that, as when she has the kittens they
can be kept in the warmer, un airconditioned room until they are a bit
bigger; air-con can be a bit cool for tiny paws and ears. I think the heat
is also making her tired, she's quite petite and her belly is huge. I'm
inclined to think this isn't her first litter, when she came to us we
thought she was pregnant, but she may have just had kittens a few eeks
before she came. i think she's older than we thought she was, she's quite
small and fine boned, which makes me think she's had a first litter quite
young and it stopped her growing to her full size- she has that look about
her. I'm hoping to get her and the kittens desexed before they are rehomed,
I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can help.
If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get her
desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help, as
that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too much
right now.

Old October 26th 05, 01:22 AM
whitershadeofpale

meee wrote:

I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can help.
If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get her
desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help, as
that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too much
right now.

The litter you describe sounds exactly like the stains on Jazzes bum.

Hmmm

I wonder!

hehe

acrosst the bigpond? Hot? Oh well..hand loose...winter will be there
soon.

Old October 26th 05, 01:32 AM
Judy

"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message
oups.com...

meee wrote:

I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can
help.
If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get her
desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help, as
that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too
much
right now.

The litter you describe sounds exactly like the stains on Jazzes bum.

Hmmm

I wonder!

hehe

acrosst the bigpond? Hot? Oh well..hand loose...winter will be there
soon.

NOT!! It's Spring in Australia at the moment and they're heading into
Summer.

Old October 26th 05, 08:10 AM

meee wrote:
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
meee wrote:

Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine

has
had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just

black
dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be

from
this.

I think those pellets are made from lucerne... a lovely smell (at least
I think so!)... means you can flush the lumps down the toilet...

She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have
been
cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food.

Since
then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.

She may be able to do the "bare minimum" of cleaning but maybe she
can't wash thoroughly enough to take care of the major stuff, if she's
heavily pregnant.

snippage I'm hoping to get her and the kittens desexed before they
are rehomed,
I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can help.
If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get her
desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help, as
that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too much
right now.

What state do you live in? Here in South Australia there is a
subsidised desexing program - an organisation called C.A.T.S. (Cats
Assistance to Sterilise) refers to participating vets - $AU55 for
girls, $AU38 for boys. In WA I think some of the local councils
provide vouchers to vets in the area. I did recently hear about a good
deal in Sydney too - I can email you the details if you need it...
also it wouldn't hurt to talk to a few vets who might give you a bulk
rate if you're getting a mother and a whole litter done...And some of
the people wanting to give them homes ought to be willing to contribute
to your expenses if they can, so you might get some money back there (I
think people do find it attractive to acquire a cat that's already
"done", too).

HTH (you can email me personally at glengana.lodge (at)
catsofamarin.com , or a good place to ask advice is
www.cat-world.com.au/forums)
Cheers,
Catherine

Old October 26th 05, 08:39 AM
-L.

meee wrote:
Hi all...more jasmine questions and thanks for your patience. Jasmine has
had a really dirty rear end lately; not feces sticking to her, just black
dust, I'm supposing from the litter. I use a litter made from plant
material, it is dark green and smells like grass, and it appears to be from
this. She is huge, but still seems to be able to clean herself. I have been
cleaning her up, which she is very offended by, but am wondering what is
causing it. Her feces are normal, except for after I changed her food. Since
then she is normal. Any ideas or solutions? She is very big and sleeps a
lot, except to eat and complain to me. It's quite hot at the moment too.

Take her in and get her a "panty shave" where they trim the fur from
around her anus. Is she long-haired? This is almost imperative if she
is.

-L.

Old October 26th 05, 03:29 PM
No More Retail

here is something to I have seen in the shelters what we call dirty cats
that is cats that have not been taught proper cleaning methods by their
mothers or been enough social with others cats grooming each other. When we
get the cats that don't clean themselves we of course clean them up but we
use a clear fish oil jelly that is edible you can get it from the local
supermarket in the health food section or you can use Vaseline. Well they
don't like the feel of it and they start licking the area after a few times
they get the hint and start doing it themselves

Old October 28th 05, 02:33 AM
meee

yes, I think that's probably the origin of the dirt...she doesn't like me
cleaning her up though...gets highly insulted!!

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

Old October 28th 05, 02:34 AM
meee

meee wrote:

I'm thinking about contacting one of the shelters to see if they can
help.
If she only has two or three kittens I can probably manage it and get

her
desexed too, but if she has 8 or 9 or something, I hay need some help,

as
that's well over a grand, which I could pay off but might be a bit too
much
right now.

The litter you describe sounds exactly like the stains on Jazzes bum.

Hmmm

I wonder!

hehe

acrosst the bigpond? Hot? Oh well..hand loose...winter will be there
soon.

NOT!! It's Spring in Australia at the moment and they're heading into
Summer.

yes, and we're in the tropical north part....31 degrees celcius yesterday,
god knows what humidity, and it will only get worse....at least the kittens
won't be cold though!!