VENT!!!

Old October 26th 05, 02:42 AM
Snittens

Default VENT!!!

I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
me off!
The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny for
his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.

OK, so how many things wrong with this messsage do you see? I really want
to email this woman and tell her how she is setting a bad example of how to
treat animals. But I will probably wimp out and not do it. Freecycle isn't
a discussion group and it might get me kicked off.

Don't even get me started on the animal listings! I have tried to get a
number of cats and dogs into the shelter, but either they are gone, or
people actually think that giving them away to a random stranger is better
than taking them to *gasp, horrors* a shelter where the animal will be
properly vetted, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, and placed with a screened
home.

-kelly

Old October 26th 05, 03:33 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Snittens" wrote in message
. ..
I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
me off!
The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny
for his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.

I cringe every time I see a pet offered on Freecycle. I only joined several
months ago but so far I've seen a bunch of cats offered, as well as birds.
No dogs, hamsters, smakes etc offered so far.

--
Liz

Old October 26th 05, 04:08 AM
Ramboyd

Elizabeth Blake wrote:

"Snittens" wrote in message
. ..
I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
me off!
The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny
for his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.

I cringe every time I see a pet offered on Freecycle. I only joined several
months ago but so far I've seen a bunch of cats offered, as well as birds.
No dogs, hamsters, smakes etc offered so far.

--
Liz

The freecycle in Ottawa doesn't allow animals to be traded. Perhaps you could
suggest this to the administrator in your area.

Ramboyd

======

"My Ottawa Includes Corruption"

Old October 26th 05, 04:42 AM

Snittens wrote:

snipped
I really want
to email this woman and tell her how she is setting a bad example of how to
treat animals.

snipped
-kelly

Send her an e-mail, just don't post it on the freecycle group. There's
nothing wrong with sending her a nice e-mail, in an attempt to make her
stop and think about what she's doing.
I cringe at the animal listings on freecycle too. I always respond
privately and invite them to bring the animal to the shelter where it
will be neutered before being placed in a home and offer to get the
person an application for free spay/neuter for the mama cat/dog. The
response has run the gamut from no response at all, to some very good
endings. You're right about people's attitudes about shelters. Some
just think it's a death sentence and don't realize the animal has a
much better chance for a *good* home there.

Sherry

Old October 26th 05, 08:44 AM
-L.

Snittens wrote:
[...]

Honestly, there are times when I cannot take this kind of ****. I feel
like no matter how much educating one does, there is always 10^5 more
to do. Bam, bam, bam goes the head on the desk...

-L.

Old October 26th 05, 08:04 PM

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:42:36 -0400, "Snittens"
wrote:

[...]

Kelly, you might want to try nicely asking the moderators, explaining
why, to ban all animal listings. This is what happened on my local
Freeycle group, and listings for animals are now banned.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old October 26th 05, 09:43 PM
Snittens

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner Exactly my thoughts, Diane.

--
-Kelly

"Diane" wrote in message
In article ,
"Snittens" wrote:

The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car

and shouldn't have been outside in the first place . . .

and he will be heartbroken.

and shouldn't be allowed to grieve, apparently . . .

So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny

which is nothing like a cat . . .

for
his birthday next week.

because animals are commodities that can be replaced if one "breaks" . .
.

She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.

. . . even though rabbits can be kept nicely indoors.

How well did I do?
--
Web site: http://www.slywy.com/
Message board: http://www.slywy.com/phpBB2/

Old October 26th 05, 09:43 PM
Snittens

I've seen just about every type of animal on there. I think the rules on
ours also say no animals, but they are on there anyway

--
-Kelly

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
nk.net...
. ..

Old October 31st 05, 03:26 AM
whitershadeofpale

Snittens wrote:
I subscribe to the local Freecycle list, and I saw a post today that ****ed
me off!
The gist of it is that the woman's 9 yr old boy's cat was killed by a car
and he will be heartbroken. So, she wants to surprise him with a bunny for
his birthday next week. She is looking for an outdoor rabbit hutch.

-kelly

There is a whole other genre of people who do not see things the way
you and Lady Di do

So what should we do with these people? Nothing. I call it live and let
live.

I don't see why the article would anger you.

Hey! Some people will take a rabbit and give it a name and pet it
and love it. Others will fry it up. You know that.

So you may call this post venting? but you never talked about what's
bugging you. No...I mean really! I cannot believe it has anything to do
with the article.

A Vent from Snowball Exocat Cat anecdotes 24 March 26th 05 05:28 PM
Real Life Sucks, partly OT, Major Rant, Vent, and hissyfit...oh,and it's a long one Tanada Cat anecdotes 48 December 21st 04 07:06 PM
Just a Vent Jeanette Cat anecdotes 26 August 10th 04 03:56 PM
I am so angry (vent) MaryL Cat health & behaviour 76 November 2nd 03 06:08 PM