Any winter adjustment in the diet?

Old October 28th 05, 01:41 AM
Ajanta

Default Any winter adjustment in the diet?

I am feeding two adult strays, one regularly. Do they need more
nourishent in the winter months? If so, would it be better to increase
their regular food or to switch to kitten formula, partially or
completely? Thanks.
Old October 28th 05, 03:36 AM
No More Retail

if you switch an adult cat to kitten formula you are actually taking
vitamins away from them. If using dry food about an extra half cup or more
if they seem hungry. They burn more fuel trying to stay warm.

Old October 28th 05, 03:36 AM

That's a tough one. I've read that nothing is more nourishing than
kitten food. Very nutrient dense. You might want to see if someone,
that is, experienced or expert, who feeds ferals might know. Do they go
days without eating? Is it possible they can get stuck somewhere and
have to wait out a snow storm? Are they, ahem, a little fat now? I've
seen adult strays in the mountains fed by a friendly human who were, in
my opinion, way too fat even between snow storms. One was a roly-poly
long-haired gray cat who let me turn him over and rub his tummy. Much
to the astonishment of the human who regularly fed him and his friends.
"He never let anyone do that", she said. But, alas, I could not bring
him home from the mountains.

Old October 28th 05, 05:08 AM

That's interesting. I would have thought just the opposite. You got me
curious now. I looked just now at the composition of kitten versus cat
for example, taurine, and the kitten food has twice as much. So it's
not taurine then which had been omitted in some adult foods previously
and lack of which causes blindness I believe. Which vitamins are less
in kitten food than in adult cat food? This would be good to know for
the future.

Old October 28th 05, 06:24 AM
Ajanta

" wrote:

: Do they go days without eating?

No, one comes to me almost everyday, the other one less regularly but
also does not look starving. It remains to be seen if they would be so
regular during cold and snowly days. I was only thinking of extra
nutrition needed to deal with the cold.

: Is it possible they can get stuck somewhere and have to wait out a
: snow storm?

Don't know for sure. They don't travel great distances, just backyards
of homes within 1 city block. But it is not a straight shoot. Because
some fences are very tall and a couple of homes have dogs, they have to
figure out complex routes to go from one yard to another one just two
homes away. I suppose if some routes are clogged with snow and ice,
they'll know others. Still, it is possible they may have to wait out a
severe weather patch.

: Are they, ahem, a little fat now?

Very little, it may even be just the coat thickening. They lead active
lives. I live on the 3rd floor and the more regular one thinks nothing
of climbing up and down 2 or 3 times on certain days. And it is not
always to eat, sometimes just to goof around.
Old October 28th 05, 07:54 AM
Phil P.

"No More Retail" wrote in message
om...
if you switch an adult cat to kitten formula you are actually taking
vitamins away from them.

That's incorrect. Kitten food contains ***MORE*** vitamins and minerals,
protein and especially *fat* - which an outdoor cat needs more of in colder
weather- than adult foods- other than 'all stages' food- which are about the
same.

Please do a little research before you post bogus information.

Thanks.

Old October 28th 05, 12:43 PM
Joe Canuck

Ajanta wrote:

I am feeding two adult strays, one regularly. Do they need more
nourishent in the winter months? If so, would it be better to increase
their regular food or to switch to kitten formula, partially or
completely? Thanks.

Strays don't have the pampered easy lives of indoor cats so I wouldn't
say you could go wrong feeding them one would feed a very active animal.

Kitten formula is packed with more nutrition than adult food, given the
same amount of each.

It depends on what kind of lives they live during the winter. It is
possible they spend a good chunk of their time holed up sleeping
somewhere that they have found to be warm and relatively safe.

Do they look overweight?
Does it look like they have been losing weight over a period of time?
Old October 28th 05, 04:16 PM
whitershadeofpale

DW. wrote:

That's incorrect. Kitten food contains ***MORE*** vitamins and minerals,
protein and especially *fat* - which an outdoor cat needs more of in colder
weather- than adult foods- other than 'all stages' food- which are about the
same.

Please do a little research before you post bogus information.

Thanks.

NO! Thank You!

Here is another classic example of your piousness
or rudeness I can't stand it!

I WON'T HAVE IT! NOT ON MY INTERNET!

DW, please be nice to people.

Look, there is no way you are kind to anyone (INCLUDING KATS)

I know this because, you cannot treat people one way and treat the
lesser (cats) another.

YOU ARE AN ARROGANT SELF SERVING lonely sad pathetic soul.

I feel sorry for you. I put you right up there with John Doe.

There's a fella who tries to be nice, but dang...nothing comes to his
mind but this word troll (and a Dr Suess cat walk, glue and boards)
anyways

Try to be nice to people.

Can't you say what you want without putting someone down.

Like: "I understand that kitten food..."

or...

"When I studied...."

or...

"It's been my experience..."

or...

etc..

see, you don't have to be a fart just to get your message across.

GET SOME TACT ABOUT YOU MAN! and your words will be well recieved.

did you know that no matter how talented you are, or gifted or smart..

there is always someone smarter and richer and more talented down the
line.

WHAT are your credentials, tell us nice stupid people how you came to
be so smart and what gives you the right to talk so ****tie with people

TELLUS BALD MAN, TELL US

Old October 28th 05, 04:59 PM
No More Retail

In the shelter we give kitten - kitten food and adults -adult senior cat
food that is my experience if it is wrong than I have it backwards. .
Myself and others have seen alot of older cats; which is the type of cat
society we work at, have trouble eating kitten chow something about not
being able digest it easily. I should have added to use senior formula for
the cats outside in the other post that is my fault I apologize

I am not trying to start any flaming :-)

The reason I say that this is what our food says on the back of the food
packages which has on the back Packed full of Protein, fats, carbohydrates,
Vitamins and minerals that an adult cat requires

Helps maintain a healthy weight.
Highly digestible.
100% complete and balanced nutrition for adult cats. Extra packed full of
vitamins and nutrients to help maintain an older cat

the kitten food
100% nutritionally complete and balanced for the first year of life.
Enhanced Protein formula for muscle and immune system development for the
first year.
Small-sized nutrient-rich kibbles for more nutrition in every easy to
swallow bite.
The essential nutrients for growth of kittens as they develop in their first
year.

Old October 28th 05, 05:35 PM
Ajanta

Phil P. wrote:

: That's incorrect. Kitten food contains ***MORE*** vitamins and minerals,
: protein and especially *fat* - which an outdoor cat needs more of in colder
: weather- than adult foods- other than 'all stages' food- which are about the
: same.

Thanks. I have always learned from your posts. As I saw it, there were
three options:

1. Feed a little more of the usual adult food.
2. Switch 100% to kitten food during cold months.
3. Partially switch to kitten food, eg, 1/2 adult 1/2 kitten.

Which of these seems right to you?

BTW I am feeding canned food. In Summer I was often in the porch when
she came. These days it is too cold for me (50 deg), but apparently not
for her, because she is able to wait 5-10 minutes at the door until I
notice her.

That may not be possible when it is extremely cold. If so, I will
consider leaving some dry food out. I am even wondering if i could rig
up a bell she could be taught to ring? I don't know how it will go,
will just have to see.