Article on Asthma in Cats

Old November 4th 05, 04:48 PM

Default Article on Asthma in Cats

Simon was astmatic and had extreme
trouble breathing, the vet had to feed
oxygen through a throat cut, his owner
was a heavy smoker and you could smell
the smoke on the cat.

That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and think
it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some people are
selfish and only care about their own gratification. The cat gets
asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the serious harm they
are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I imagine they think it's ok to
blow smoke in a baby's face too.

Besides the risk of developing asthma, there was a study that showed
cats exposed to secondhand smoke also had a greatly increased risk of
developing lymphoma. So first they can't breathe, then they die from
cancer. All because of selfish humans.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 4th 05, 09:06 PM
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Simon was astmatic and had extreme
trouble breathing, the vet had to feed
oxygen through a throat cut, his owner
was a heavy smoker and you could smell
the smoke on the cat.

That's just heartbreaking. How anyone could do this to a cat and think
it's ok is unfathomable. The truth is though, that some people are
selfish and only care about their own gratification. The cat gets
asthma, but they keep puffing away, oblivious to the serious harm they
are inflicting, and the animals suffer. I imagine they think it's ok to
blow smoke in a baby's face too.

Besides the risk of developing asthma, there was a study that showed
cats exposed to secondhand smoke also had a greatly increased risk of
developing lymphoma. So first they can't breathe, then they die from
cancer. All because of selfish humans.

Megan

That's ridiculous. Are you saying that cats who belong to smokers are dying
in droves through lymphoma caused by smoking? I don't think so.

Tweed

Old November 4th 05, 10:06 PM
Joe Canuck

Brandy Alexandre wrote:

Christina Websell wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

wrote in message

[...]

Just accept that it's wrong to smoke around kids and pets (and
humans, for that matter),

Hmm, very interesting statement that appears to indicate kids are not
humans.

Given that I have viewed your expression of dislike for kids, I'm not
surprised you have stooped to this level of contempt.

Old November 4th 05, 10:40 PM
Christina Websell

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

wrote in message
[...]

humans, for that matter), and that they will die prematurely. Kami
gets ousted from the area when I use hairspray or do my nails.
Can't imagine smoking on a pet, asthma or not.

Now where did I say I smoked around kids and pets? Or even if I smoked at
all? You are making an assumption here.
Can't imagine having to oust my cats to use hairspray. Is that worse than
smoking in their airspace? My nails are natural btw.

Tweed

Old November 5th 05, 12:22 AM

*Tweed wrote:
That's ridiculous. Are you saying that
cats who belong to smokers are dying in
droves through lymphoma caused by
smoking?

The AVMA and Tuft's University are saying it looks that way. Considering
the number of smokers and the number of cats likely owned by them, with
a 2-4x increased risk of cancer I'd say that yes, droves of cats are
dying because of their selfish, irresponsible humans.

From Tuft's :
http://enews.tufts.edu/printerversio...tsAndSmoke.htm

Smokers Put Pets At Risk

In a first-of-its-kind study, researchers from Tufts report a link
between second-hand smoke and cancer in cats.
No. Grafton, Mass. [08.01.02] -- Providing more scientific evidence
about the deadly effects of second-hand smoke, a new study from Tufts
reports that cats living in homes with smokers are more than twice as
likely than other cats to acquire feline lymphoma cancer. The research -
which is the first of its kind - alters current views on the causes of
lymphoma in cats and may help scientists better understand the causes of
non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in humans.
"It has long been believed that the major cause of feline lymphoma was
feline leukemia virus," Tufts' Dr. Antony Moore said in a report in
Science Daily. "The results of our study clearly indicate that exposure
to environmental factors such as second-hand tobacco smoke has
devastating consequences for cats because it significantly increases
their likelihood of contracting lymphoma."
The evidence - reported by researchers at Tufts' School of Veterinary
Medicine and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst - paints a
dramatic picture of the risks associated with second-hand smoke.
"They found that, adjusting for age and other factors, cats exposed to
secondhand smoke had more than double the risk of acquiring the
disease," reported the Associated Press. "In households where they were
exposed five years or more, cats had more than triple the risk. In a
two-smoker household, the risk went up by a factor of four."
In some cases, cats were at higher risk for cancer than humans living in
the same home.
"Exposure levels in cats continuously kept indoors may actually be
higher than those of human household members, who often spend extended
periods of time outside their homes," reported Science Daily. "Cats
become exposed by inhaling the smoke or by digesting it when they groom
themselves and lick particulate matter off their fur."
Based on their findings with cats, the Tufts researchers believe their
work may provide new evidence that second-hand smoke and lymphoma in
humans are linked.
"Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in humans, like feline lymphoma, is a cancer
that starts in lymph tissue and can spread to other organs," reported
USA Today. "The new study suggests that components of tobacco smoke have
a cancerous effect on lymphoid tissue, researchers say."
Moore also hopes the findings provide another compelling reason to quit
smoking.
"I think there's a lot of people who might not quit smoking for
themselves or their family," Moore said in the Associated Press report,
which was published in newspapers around the country. "But they might
for their cats."

Megan*
*

Old November 5th 05, 12:28 AM

Tweed wrote:
Now where did I say I smoked around
kids and pets? * Or even if I smoked at
all? You are making an assumption here.

You're assuming Brandy made an assumption. You are wrong. She didn't
write anything that stated or implied that you smoked. All she said was
accept the fact that it's wrong to smoke around kids, pets, and humans
(I think she may have meant to write adults). That's not an accusation
or an implication. It was a simple statement. For the record, since you
are being so defensive, do you smoke?