Got a question about angel trumphet Phil you might know this

Old November 4th 05, 11:26 PM
No More Retail

Default Got a question about angel trumphet Phil you might know this

This plant is quite common here in Florida.

Can find information on it but not effects of toxicology of it

Called poison control all they had on it was the effects of humans using it
to get high.

ASPCA poison line on had information about the plant and some effects but
according to them treat animal according to symptoms.

We have a cat that was brought in to the clinic in trembling convulsions.
The cat was found by the plant. Our vet is doing a stream line search thru
the vet information center but only one that has any recent info on is a
destroyed shelter down south and in Miami they haven't got back to us yet.

Has anyone seen the effects of this plant or have some information on it. I
think I saw something on animal planet but nothing in there website search
is showing up

Before anyone panics the cat is stabilized on IV fluids has not had a
tremor in about 4 hours showing signs of normal activity. We are just
taking precaution in this case it is the first case the 3 vets have seen
involving a cat and this plant. Pre blood work came back fine but
toxicology won't be back till tomorrow or Monday. The vet are not sure the
plant is involved but better safe than sorry since in humans in causes
trembling convulsions, kidney failure and possible death when ingested

Old November 5th 05, 12:26 AM
Steve G

No More Retail wrote:
This plant is quite common here in Florida.

Can find information on it but not effects of toxicology of it

Called poison control all they had on it was the effects of humans using it
to get high.

It sounds like you're referring to one of the Daturas? The main actives
are alkaloids, mainly scopolamine and atropine.

Lots of info he

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic438.htm

I imagine the same treatments would apply to cats as apply to humans.

It's very unlikely that a cat would ingest Datura; I grow these plants
as ornamentals, in part because critters don't tend to eat them.
However, if a cat did choose to ingest some, even a tiny amount would
be enough to cause problems. E.g., in humans, a few seeds can lead to
the whole hallucinogenic schebang.

S.

Old November 5th 05, 12:48 AM
No More Retail

That's it thank you Have no idea if the cat did or not was found in
convulsions at the base of the plant?

Old November 5th 05, 01:00 AM
No More Retail

That all the poison lines have information on is for humans and how to treat
it. Good thing to know that cat's usually would avoid it but like I said
it was found at the base of the plant. Go to go on first suspicions

Old November 5th 05, 05:39 AM
Phil P.

"No More Retail" wrote in message
news
[...]

Are you sure you don't mean Devil's Trumpet? Go to my site

http://www.maxshouse.com/Poisonous_P...us-Species.htm

and scroll down to Datura spp.

I hope the cat is ok?

Phil

Old November 5th 05, 06:24 AM
No More Retail

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/32267/index.html this site has the picture

So far so good I am on cat watch tonight, I volunteered. We have the
orange tabby firball ( knick named Mr..cat don't ask ) on IV fluids. I
am not sure which anti seizure drugs or other drugs got introduced I
believe they used some diazepam to help calm the firball down. I know to
keep out of the way of the pro's. I would go get the sheet but the
overnight vet on call is asleep and I am not going to bother him. It has
10 + hours since the last seizure. He is sitting in a cage across from me
laying there looking at me like what have I got my self into look. He is
acting like a normal domesticated cat has to be someone's. He is neutered
but not microchip or no collar. No word on the street yet some one looking
for him.

Toxicology and the rest of the blood work comes hopefully in tomorrow. We
contacted several experienced vets in toxic poisoning all said the same
thing very rare occurrence of ingestion so rare that have only heard of
ingesting done by humans. Told us to treat symptoms as they occur but were
hesitant to give anymore info. I think they have no idea and took a guess.
Miami is going to fax us in the morning but their info is short and limited.

Old November 5th 05, 08:05 PM
Phil P.

"No More Retail" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I was surprised, too, because I nor any of our vets ever had a case of
Datura poisoning in a cat. Its very unpalatable, so I can't imagine a cat
eating a lethal dose- or any amount, actually. I found very little
information in my veterinary toxicology texts and reference manuals- and
absolutely nothing pertaining specifically to cats. I threw these
references together in a hurry for you, but I don't think they'll be much
help.

http://www.maxshouse.com/tropane_alk...atura_1spp.htm

http://www.maxshouse.com/ToxPlantDesc/Datura.pdf

Told us to treat symptoms as they occur but were
hesitant to give anymore info. I think they have no idea and took a

guess.
Miami is going to fax us in the morning but their info is short and

limited.

How's he doing?

Old November 6th 05, 08:15 AM
No More Retail

Seizure free so far still on IV till we get the toxicology and the rest of
the blood work on Monday. As I said no information on it only for humans
But you know cats just like humans you can always have a Gilligan in the
bunch

Old November 6th 05, 09:31 AM
Phil P.

"No More Retail" wrote in message
om...
Seizure free so far still on IV till we get the toxicology and the rest of
the blood work on Monday. As I said no information on it only for humans
But you know cats just like humans you can always have a Gilligan in the
bunch

Datura tastes so bad that I doubt the cat would eat a lethal dose. Also, if
he hasn't seized in over a day, I think he'll be ok.

I don't have any experience with Datura toxicity in cats- and don't know
anyone who has, but I
know when cats ingest a potentially lethal dose of a neurotoxin the seizures
progress from intermittent to sustained status epilepticus until medical
intervention or death. Is he shaking or trembling at all?

Old November 6th 05, 04:56 PM
No More Retail

No trembling or shaking that I have seen or the vet I just asked I came
in on my day off. The best way to describe the seizures would have been a
trembling effect like he was shivering non stop. The vet thinks he is going
to be fine just waiting for the blood work to make sure everything is
fine. Appreciate the help PHIL.