Freckled noses on orange tabbies

Old November 8th 05, 05:18 AM
Rhonda

Default Freckled noses on orange tabbies

When I took Abernathy to the vet with his bladder infection, I asked the
vet quite a few other questions.

One was: What are those strange black flecks on his very pink nose?

Her answer: Freckles!

She said it is very common for orange tabbies to have freckled noses and
linings around their eyes. She said many cat-owners are concerned when
they first notice it. Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?

Abernathy must have fought to get out of the carrier right after I got
him in (I left him alone for a minute to get my purse.) His nose leather
was scraped when I took him out at the vet's, poor guy. It is healing,
but he scraped off his biggest freckle. I'm hoping it grows back.

Rhonda

Old November 8th 05, 05:27 AM

Rhonda wrote:
snipped
Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?

Rhonda

No nose-freckles, but big orange Bosley has dark, big freckles all over
his lips and the inside of his mouth. I think it's called lentigo. Its
interesting that it mostly just affects orange cats.

Sherry

Old November 8th 05, 09:33 AM
-L.

Rhonda wrote:
When I took Abernathy to the vet with his bladder infection, I asked the
vet quite a few other questions.

One was: What are those strange black flecks on his very pink nose?

Her answer: Freckles!

She said it is very common for orange tabbies to have freckled noses and
linings around their eyes. She said many cat-owners are concerned when
they first notice it. Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?

It's *really* common - and oh-so-cute!

Abernathy must have fought to get out of the carrier right after I got
him in (I left him alone for a minute to get my purse.) His nose leather
was scraped when I took him out at the vet's, poor guy. It is healing,
but he scraped off his biggest freckle. I'm hoping it grows back.

Rhonda

It may come back in pink.
-L.

Old November 8th 05, 10:10 AM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Rhonda wrote:
snipped
Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?

Rhonda

No nose-freckles, but big orange Bosley has dark, big freckles all over
his lips and the inside of his mouth. I think it's called lentigo. Its
interesting that it mostly just affects orange cats.

Yup. Its called 'orange cat lentigo simplex"- caused by extra melanin
deposits in certain spots-- harmless freckles. My 'permanent foster' Neo
has them on his nose, lips and even a couple on the rims of his eyes.

Here's a close-up of the handsome guy:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/neo-lentigo.jpg

Phil

Old November 8th 05, 01:17 PM

Yes! My Tycho has had them since kittenhood. Not on his nose, but
around his lips and eyes!

Old November 8th 05, 02:56 PM
5cats

Rhonda wrote:

When I took Abernathy to the vet with his bladder infection, I asked

the
vet quite a few other questions.

One was: What are those strange black flecks on his very pink nose?

Her answer: Freckles!

She said it is very common for orange tabbies to have freckled noses

and
linings around their eyes. She said many cat-owners are concerned when
they first notice it. Anyone else's orange guy have freckles?

Abernathy must have fought to get out of the carrier right after I got
him in (I left him alone for a minute to get my purse.) His nose

leather
was scraped when I took him out at the vet's, poor guy. It is healing,
but he scraped off his biggest freckle. I'm hoping it grows back.

Rhonda

My brown tabby has one single little freckle on his nose.

George, the big orange tabby, has big black spots on his gums and the
roof of his mouth. His nose is a mottled mix of orange and tan.

Speaking of orange cats, is it more common for orange cats to be larger
than average size than other colors?
Old November 8th 05, 04:54 PM
cybercat

"Phil P." wrote :

No nose-freckles, but big orange Bosley has dark, big freckles all over
his lips and the inside of his mouth. I think it's called lentigo. Its
interesting that it mostly just affects orange cats.

Yup. Its called 'orange cat lentigo simplex"- caused by extra melanin
deposits in certain spots-- harmless freckles. My 'permanent foster' Neo
has them on his nose, lips and even a couple on the rims of his eyes.

Here's a close-up of the handsome guy:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/neo-lentigo.jpg

I thought all your cats were girlie cats! He is gorgeous.

Old November 8th 05, 05:17 PM
cybercat

"5cats" wrote:

My brown tabby has one single little freckle on his nose.

George, the big orange tabby, has big black spots on his gums and the
roof of his mouth. His nose is a mottled mix of orange and tan.

Speaking of orange cats, is it more common for orange cats to be larger
than average size than other colors?

Aren't they bigger because they are usually boys? The solid orange
tabbies, I mean?

Old November 8th 05, 05:57 PM
Phil P.

"cybercat" wrote in message

"Phil P." wrote :

No nose-freckles, but big orange Bosley has dark, big freckles all

over
his lips and the inside of his mouth. I think it's called lentigo. Its
interesting that it mostly just affects orange cats.

Yup. Its called 'orange cat lentigo simplex"- caused by extra melanin
deposits in certain spots-- harmless freckles. My 'permanent foster'

Neo
has them on his nose, lips and even a couple on the rims of his eyes.

Here's a close-up of the handsome guy:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/neo-lentigo.jpg

I thought all your cats were girlie cats!

They are- He's a (permanent) foster. When I got him he was 21 lbs! He's
down to 17 but still looks *big*. Its hard to quesstimate the ideal weight
for orange tabbies- especially males- because they're usually naturally
*big* cats-- and incredible mushes!

Even though he's about 3x the size of my little 6 lbs. former feral, he
backs down from her every time. Its really comical to watch him run away
when she chases him off of her favorite spot. When he jumps down, he's
astonishingly graceful- like a Siberian Tiger.

He is gorgeous.

Yeah- he's a handsome feller- with a personality to match-- unlike me! LOL!

http://www.maxshouse.com/Ours/Neo-Close-up.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/album/neo-spread.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/album/Neo-1...4-headshot.jpg

Old November 8th 05, 06:27 PM
5cats

cybercat wrote:

"5cats" wrote:

Speaking of orange cats, is it more common for orange cats to be larger
than average size than other colors?

Aren't they bigger because they are usually boys? The solid orange
tabbies, I mean?

I mean bigger than the average male. George, the orange one, is 21.5 (still
a bit chubby, but I think his target weight will turn out to be about 20).
My other three boys are 13 to 14 pounds. It just seems like I've seen a
lot of BIG orange cats.