Staving off a cystitis attack?

Old November 17th 05, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Staving off a cystitis attack?

I think Meep may be working her way to another cystitis attack, despite
the glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed water bowls and Drinkwell
(she does drink tons more now!)

I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and I'd like to avoid the
stress of a trip to the vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's just
the number of visits before she did has me worried), what can I do to
head this off before it requires a vet visit?

I have some urinary acidifier, but haven't been using it because the
other management methods were working. If I start giving that now, will
it help bring her back in balance?

Thanks for any help!

jmc
Old November 17th 05, 08:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"jmc" wrote in message
I think Meep may be working her way to another cystitis attack, despite
the glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed water bowls and Drinkwell
(she does drink tons more now!)

I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and I'd like to avoid the
stress of a trip to the vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's just
the number of visits before she did has me worried), what can I do to
head this off before it requires a vet visit?

I have some urinary acidifier, but haven't been using it because the
other management methods were working. If I start giving that now, will
it help bring her back in balance?

Thanks for any help!

jmc

Speak to your vet about Amitriptyline (Elavil), it's commonly used in cats
with interstitial cystitis to reduce stress. Amitriptyline also has some
anti*inflammatory and analgesic properties which might help relieve any pain
or discomfort and the continuous urge to urinate. The inflammation induced
by FIC causes a nervous sensation that mimics the sensation that's normally
induced by a full bladder where the bladder is full or not. Amitriptyline
should help her relax her bladder until the inflammation subsides and the
bladder was heals. Are you giving her Cosequin or Adequan?

Phil

Old November 17th 05, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-Nov-05 8:54 AM):
"jmc" wrote in message

[...]

Phil, thanks.

Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.

jmc
Old November 17th 05, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"jmc" wrote in message
I think Meep may be working her way to another cystitis attack,

despite
the glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed water bowls and

Drinkwell
(she does drink tons more now!)

I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and I'd like to avoid the
stress of a trip to the vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's

just
the number of visits before she did has me worried), what can I do

head this off before it requires a vet visit?

I have some urinary acidifier, but haven't been using it because the
other management methods were working. If I start giving that now,

will
it help bring her back in balance?

Thanks for any help!

jmc.

Don't have an answer for you but hope Meep will be ok. I have a
feliway plug in diffuser for Kim which I am sure helps.
Alison

Old November 17th 05, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

jmc wrote:

I think Meep may be working her way to
another cystitis attack, despite the
glucosaine, wet food, strategicly-placed
water bowls and Drinkwell (she does drink
tons more now!)
I don't want to wait until she's in pain, and
I'd like to avoid the stress of a trip to the
vet. Since she's still peeing fine (it's just
the number of visits before she did has
me worried), what can I do to head this off
before it requires a vet visit?

This is the trouble with cats that have interstitial cystits-you never
quite know if it is a flare-up or if there is a real infection going on.
I am going through this right now with my cat Teddy. He started the
typical behavior of running to the box often, but he was passing urine,
the ph was fine and there was no visible blood. I have amitriptyline on
hand for such events so I gave him a small dose and he calmed down and
stopped running to the box. I still watched him like a hawk and
regularly felt his bladder to make sure it was empty. Yesterday morning
he tried to pee but didn't pass any urine, and so I immediately felt his
bladder and it was full. I then checked his penis and could actually
feel where the blockage was. We went straight to the vet and sure
enough, he was blocked although it was fortunate that I had caught it
right away before it had a chance to get bad.

Here's the weird part, though. He did not have crystals in his urine and
the ph was 6.5. The blockage was made up of mucus and debris from the
bladder lining, etc. most likely a result of the IC flare-up (urinalysis
showed there was indeed an inflammatory response going on) and on top of
that he did have bacteria in his urine, which is very unusual. Needless
to say, he was catheterized (I watched and actually helped with flushing
the bladder which was kind of fun and interesting- I have a new vet who
totally rocks and lets me be involved with everything) and he is now
back at home on extra fluids and antibiotics.

So the moral of the story is, even though you know your cat and have
certain expectations when a cystitis flare-up happens, there is always
that curveball that can get thrown at you that completely changes
everything. It would be better to be safe than sorry and have your cat
vet checked. You just never know.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old November 18th 05, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

jmc wrote:

Phil, thanks.

Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.

jmc

I'd be very interested in following this over time.

You guys might be onto something

Old November 19th 05, 07:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-Nov-05 8:54 AM):

bladder was heals. Are you giving her Cosequin or Adequan?

Phil

Phil, thanks.

Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.

jmc

If you're giving her Elmiron/Cartrophen (pentosan polysulfate sodium), you
might want to check her liver values and clotting times.

Good luck,

Phil

Old November 19th 05, 12:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (19-Nov-05 7:29 AM):
"jmc" wrote in message

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (17-Nov-05 8:54 AM):

bladder was heals. Are you giving her Cosequin or Adequan?

Phil

Phil, thanks.

Not Cosequin, but a different glucosamine supplement, yes.

jmc

If you're giving her Elmiron/Cartrophen (pentosan polysulfate sodium), you
might want to check her liver values and clotting times.

Good luck,

Phil

No, this is a joint combo - Dr. Fosters & Smith Joint Care - has
glucosamine, also has conodroitin (sp?) and MSM. As she gets older
she's got some joint issues as well, this seemed a good kill-two-birds
sort of therapy.

I've never heard of what you mention above. Is that a supplement, or a
prescription med?

As we're looking at moving in the relatively near future, after the
holidays I'm going to take her in for a complete workup, make sure she's
healthy as possible before we start another overseas move. Liver and
Kidney were some I was going to ask for, as these values have been
occasionally borderline in the past.

jmc
Old November 20th 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"jmc" wrote in message

[...]

Prescription- its the same drug that's use in human females with idiopathic
cystitis. It contains some heparin (an anticoagulant), that's why I
suggested checking her clotting times if you were using it.

As we're looking at moving in the relatively near future, after the
holidays I'm going to take her in for a complete workup, make sure she's
healthy as possible before we start another overseas move. Liver and
Kidney were some I was going to ask for, as these values have been
occasionally borderline in the past.

If she has liver and kidney issues- forget the Elmiron.

Moving can be very hard on a cat that's susceptible to IC. You might want to
spray her carrier with Feliway to try to keep her as calm as possible. Some
people swear by Rescue Remedy- although I didn't notice any remarkable
results.

Will you be flying?

Phil

Old November 21st 05, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (20-Nov-05 7:34 PM):

"jmc" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know if she's got liver or kidney issues, since every time
(well, twice)there's been a marginal test, she's tested fine next time.
But I always keep the possibility in mind.

Yes, I think Meep's getting a Feliway spray for Christmas Good idea
about spraying her carrier.

Yea, we have to fly. Fortunately, she's done it before (three times!)
so she seems to understand it better - at least, she doesn't stress like
she did the first time. She's quite the seasoned traveller, actually.

jmc