My new cat...Blimpo...

Old November 17th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default My new cat...Blimpo...

Greetings ~

Well, back in early September, Fatass finally lost her battle with CRF.
She was tough right to the end, but she was blind, did not eat
anymore, and her back legs were not really working anymore. One of the
hardest things I have ever done, but I was proud to fight for her
throughout her last months.

Anyway, last month I went to the Boston Animal Rescue League just to
look, and Blimpo spoke to me. I spend about 1/2 hour with him in one
of their walk in cages, and decided he should come home.

He is a 7 year old tub that they named "Papa Gino," black and sable
striped, a handsome boy, and I had a feeling his days in the shelter
were numbered. He was the oldest cat their by far, was sneezing, had a
patch of fur shaved off his lower back (too fat to reach it to clean
himself), was on prescription food, and had been in the shelter nearly
a month. He had a clean bill of health (aside from being "grossly
overweight" according to his notes).

Anyway, after only 2 days, he made the house his own - it is nice to
see a cat eat and play again.

He weighs 17 pounds. What a whale. I have him on 1/2 wet food and 1/2
Nutro weight management - their vet said . He is strong and active -
can jump to 4 foot counters and loves to hunt toys and the flashlight
beam. I have been working him up and down the stairs with the light to
develop some muscle and stamina and lose some of the blubber.

He is a good cat.

Bluesman

Old November 17th 05, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Con-cat-ulations, Bluesman! It's so nice to hear of someone adopting an
older cat rather than a kitten. There's a special place in heaven reserved
for people like you!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 17th 05, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:

He weighs 17 pounds. What a whale. I have him on 1/2 wet food and 1/2
Nutro weight management - their vet said . He is strong and active -
can jump to 4 foot counters and loves to hunt toys and the flashlight
beam. I have been working him up and down the stairs with the light to
develop some muscle and stamina and lose some of the blubber.

He is a good cat.

Good on you. Once Blimpo settles in, you might want to try the
diet that took my cat from 18 pounds to 9 pounds safely.

It's simple: canned food only, 12 hours apart. Begin by putting
down a bit more than he needs then cut it by 1/4 and stick with
it until he plateaus. Lots of fresh water, and he will be back
in fighting form. It also made my cat's fur shiny and softer.
(I feed Fancy Feast, too. Far from a "premium" food but
still a good quality food.)

Old November 17th 05, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Heh. You are a good person. YOu could be a personal cat trainer! I"m glad
you aren't letting all that experience you gained go to waste. Congrats on
Blimpo (although I hope you can change his name one day).

Old November 17th 05, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

CatNipped wrote:

Con-cat-ulations, Bluesman! It's so nice to hear of someone adopting an
older cat rather than a kitten. There's a special place in heaven reserved
for people like you!

Hugs,

CatNipped

R U Kidding? I'd rather have an older cat ANY DAY!
Yes indeedy!

Old November 17th 05, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message
oups.com...

CatNipped wrote:

Con-cat-ulations, Bluesman! It's so nice to hear of someone adopting an
older cat rather than a kitten. There's a special place in heaven

reserved
for people like you!

Hugs,

CatNipped

R U Kidding? I'd rather have an older cat ANY DAY!
Yes indeedy!

How often do you check your whitershade mailbox?

Old November 17th 05, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I'm so sorry about Fatass. I lost Dmitri in late August, and know the
pain.

But how wonderful Blimpo has a new home!!! Yay for Blimpo!

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g
Old November 18th 05, 04:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I'm sorry you lost FA, I know you really helped her through to the end.

Congrats on your new kitty! Sounds like he really needed a home. I'm
sure he'll get into good shape with you, and have a great life.

I'd love to see a picture of this guy -- I can't visualize him. He
sounds like a character.

Rhonda

Old November 19th 05, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for the replies - greatly appreciated.

As requested, here is Blimpo and The Bluesman.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32211381590.jpg&s=x12

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=11/32211400298.jpg&s=x12

Bluesman