Winter essentials: Snuggle Safe, Heat Reflecting pads,..??

Old November 18th 05, 03:47 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Winter essentials: Snuggle Safe, Heat Reflecting pads,..??

cybercat wrote:

: "Kiran" wrote in message
: For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
: cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
: next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
:
: Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
: Heat reflecting mattresses?
: A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
: Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
:
: You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
: must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
: would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)
:
: How about keeping her inside where it is cozy? She would love that.
: Why won't you do that?

Oh yes, I am planning to keep her inside most of the time, but winter
is winter and all of the space is not uniformly warm. My question,
mainly, was about gadgets that will make her extra comfortable even
inside.

Old November 18th 05, 01:22 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:02:59 GMT, Kiran wrote:

For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
next few months more comfortable for her. What about:

Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
Heat reflecting mattresses?
A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?

You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

Keeping her inside where it is warm and safe is the best thing you can do for your baby if
you really care about her/him!!

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm

Old November 18th 05, 01:51 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In alt.pets.cats Kiran wrote:
For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
next few months more comfortable for her. What about:

Don't worry about keeping her warm unless you intend to keep your
home as cold as the outdoors. She'll keep herself warm by finding a spot.

Worry about ~humidity~ in the house so it doesn't get so dry as to
annoy her skin or cause static. The surest way to have your cat avoid
you is by zapping it a few good times during winter.

-Ali
Old November 18th 05, 02:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Kiran" wrote in message
For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
next few months more comfortable for her. What about:

Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
Heat reflecting mattresses?
A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?

You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

I don't know about the other things, but snuggle safes are great, especially
for older kitties that have arthritis.

Old November 18th 05, 02:59 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Ali-Reza Anghaie" wrote in message
In alt.pets.cats Kiran wrote:
For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
next few months more comfortable for her. What about:

Don't worry about keeping her warm unless you intend to keep your
home as cold as the outdoors. She'll keep herself warm by finding a spot.

Worry about ~humidity~ in the house so it doesn't get so dry as to
annoy her skin or cause static. The surest way to have your cat avoid
you is by zapping it a few good times during winter.

-Ali

I'm personally addicted to buying blankets, cat trees and cat beds. It's so
fun when they really like one.

Old November 18th 05, 03:13 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Kiran" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
: For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
: cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
: next few months more comfortable for her. What about:
:
: Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
: Heat reflecting mattresses?
: A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
: Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?
:
: You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
: must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
: would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

Wow! You're the sort of customer the pet industry is dreaming of LOL!
If my cats are cold they snuggle in with me in bed or lie on my knees while
watching television.

I like the hammocks that hang on the heaters, especially if it allows the
cat to look outside.

carola

Old November 18th 05, 04:19 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Kiran" wrote in message
cybercat wrote:

: "Kiran" wrote in message
[...]

I see. I don't think you have to worry too much, as cats always
find the warmest part of the house. One of my cats used to
hang out at the base of the refrigerator because it was warm
from the motor there. Until we got a new one that doesn't
get warm. Please be careful about heated things--as Catnipped
learned last spring, they can burn cats, and they have very
thin skins.

Old November 18th 05, 04:26 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"whayface" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:02:59 GMT, Kiran wrote:

For all practical purposes, this will be my first real winter with my
cat, in cold midwest. Are there any special gadgets that will make the
next few months more comfortable for her. What about:

Snuggle Safe Microwave Heatpad?
Heat reflecting mattresses?
A heated house (where do I find/buy it?) in her beloved porch?
Something to keep her water/food from getting chilled?

You guys are the experts, please help me sort out gimmicks from
must-have gems. (Anything electrical should have cat proof wiring: I
would rather my cat is uncomfortable than burned or injured.)

Keeping her inside where it is warm and safe is the best thing you can do
for your baby if
you really care about her/him!!

Yep. I would not even let him out on the porch if it is too cold.