low residue dry food

Old November 22nd 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default low residue dry food

When Harriet began having constipation problems over the summer, the
first vet she saw gave her Eukanuba Low Residue dry food (and canned).
She did not like the canned, and mostly she's been getting Wellness and
Petguard canned foods, which she loves. She is a dry food junkie, so
several meals each week she'll get the Eukanuba instead. Now the bag
is almost empty, and I called the second vet she saw (different
practice) to ask if they sell it. They don't, and told me that Hill's
Science Diet I/D food would be the closest thing.

Does anyone know if that's a good choice? She was put on the low
residue food to try to decrease her poop output, since she was having a
hard time eliminating it. Is there any other dry food, either
prescription or not, that is very digestible without being crammed full
of grains?

--
Liz

Old November 22nd 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
oups.com...
When Harriet began having constipation problems over the summer, the
first vet she saw gave her Eukanuba Low Residue dry food (and canned).
She did not like the canned, and mostly she's been getting Wellness and
Petguard canned foods, which she loves. She is a dry food junkie, so
several meals each week she'll get the Eukanuba instead. Now the bag
is almost empty, and I called the second vet she saw (different
practice) to ask if they sell it. They don't, and told me that Hill's
Science Diet I/D food would be the closest thing.

Does anyone know if that's a good choice? She was put on the low
residue food to try to decrease her poop output, since she was having a
hard time eliminating it. Is there any other dry food, either
prescription or not, that is very digestible without being crammed full
of grains?

Hi Liz,

The only dry food that I know of that doesn't contain any grains is Innova
Evo. However, its very high in protein (52% As Fed/ 55.5% DMB), and *very*
high in phosphorus (1.47% AF/1.63% DMB). This may not be so good for
Harriet if she has subclinical kidney disease. Innove got rid of the grains
by substituting them with potatoes- which have a very high glycemic index.
This may or may not be a problem for Harriet.

If she's doing well on Euk Low-Res I wouldn't change it. You might want to
call VetCentric (1-800-838-2368) and make arraignments to have Euk Low-Res
sent directly to you. All you'll have to do is fax them a script from your
vet. Even with the shipping, the cost should be the same or less than
buying the food from the vet.

HTH,

Phil