still straining in litterbox

Old November 24th 05, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default still straining in litterbox

Hi,

I picked up Elwood yesterday from the vet. They said he urinated on
his own, but was still straining so they prescibed him Valium to help
with the pain.
He is eating & drinking but still having a hard time in the box. He
goes in and makes a grunting sound, and very small amounts of urine
come out. I can tell it is starting to get to him, and I really don't
want him to stress himself out and get a block again.

Is this to be expected during recovery?
Is it normal to prescribe Vlium for this?
He is also on an antibiotic, and an optional appetite stimulant.
Old November 24th 05, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Justin is it valium or diazepam the generic form for it. How much is the
dosage?

I wonder if the vet knows that it can cause problems urinating. I have a
cat on diazepam 2mg x2 a day for epilepsy. Valium is a drug that has to be
careful monitored in cats it can cause liver dysfunction and kidney damage.
Full blood works are needed often specially liver enzymes test

valium side effects
More Common Side Effects:
Drowsiness, fatigue, light headedness, loss of muscle coordination.

Less Common Side Effects:
Anxiety, blurred vision, changes in salivation, changes in sex drive,
confusion, constipation, depression, difficulty urinating, dizziness, double
vision, hallucinations, headache, inability to hold urine, low blood
pressure, nausea, over stimulation, seizures, skin rash rage, sleep
disturbances, slow heartbeat, slurred speech, tremors dizziness, yellowing
of skin and eyes.

the generic form diazepam have about the same side effects

Old November 24th 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:35:47 GMT, "No More Retail"
wrote:

Justin is it valium or diazepam the generic form for it. How much is the
dosage?

She told me it was Valium, but the pill bottle says Diazepam. I have
to give him 1/2 pill three times a day. The pills are 2 mg. doses.
Thanks for the side effects, I wonder if the vet even knows this..

[...]

.. .

Old November 24th 05, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:51:48 GMT, "No More Retail"
wrote:

what antibiotics and appetite stimulant both those can have major side
effect

The antibiotic says Amoxi-tabs, and the appetite stimulant is
Cyproheptadime.
I have not given him the appetite stimulant because he is eating good.

.. .

Old November 24th 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

another name for Amoxicillin
http://www.pfizerah.com/PAHimages/co...compliance.pdf

diazepam
http://www.animalhelp.com/pets/rxdetail.cfm?drug=245

I would make a phone call back to the vet tomorrow and let him know the
kitten is still having problems. Is the cats stomach area bloated where
it may feel like the bladder is over full.

I am wondering if they did not get all the blockage out or it might have
reoccurred

wrote:

what antibiotics and appetite stimulant both those can have major side
effect

The antibiotic says Amoxi-tabs, and the appetite stimulant is
Cyproheptadime.
I have not given him the appetite stimulant because he is eating good.

. ..
wrote:

[...]

m...

Old November 25th 05, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Justin L wrote:

Is this to be expected during recovery?
Is it normal to prescribe Vlium for this?
He is also on an antibiotic, and an optional appetite stimulant.

give your cat a warm enema

Old November 25th 05, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:39:06 GMT, "No More Retail"
wrote:

another name for Amoxicillin
http://www.pfizerah.com/PAHimages/co...compliance.pdf

diazepam
http://www.animalhelp.com/pets/rxdetail.cfm?drug=245

I would make a phone call back to the vet tomorrow and let him know the
kitten is still having problems.

Yes, I plan on it.

Is the cats stomach area bloated where
it may feel like the bladder is over full.

It doesn't feel too bad too me, but I am not a vet. The good news is
that he is cheerful and affectionate (except when he tries using the
litter box) So I am hoping he is just a little uncomfortable and
nothing serious. What bugs me is not knowing what is going on.

snip
Old November 25th 05, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:

another name for Amoxicillin
http://www.pfizerah.com/PAHimages/co...compliance.pdf

diazepam
http://www.animalhelp.com/pets/rxdetail.cfm?drug=245

I would make a phone call back to the vet tomorrow and let him know the
kitten is still having problems.

Yes, I plan on it.

sorry, I misunderstood, he's having a wee wee problem

best to ya's!

Old November 25th 05, 09:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Justin L" wrote in message
Hi,

I picked up Elwood yesterday from the vet. They said he urinated on
his own, but was still straining so they prescibed him Valium to help
with the pain.
He is eating & drinking but still having a hard time in the box. He
goes in and makes a grunting sound, and very small amounts of urine
come out. I can tell it is starting to get to him, and I really don't
want him to stress himself out and get a block again.

Is this to be expected during recovery?

Two of the possible complications of a urinary tract obstruction are
urethral damage or spasms and/or damage to the bladder detrusor muscle from
overdistention. When the bladder becomes overdistended and remains
stretched for any length of time the tight junctions between the muscle
fibers loosen up and separate a little. These little gaps between the muscle
fibers interrupt the wave of motor nerve impulses across the bladder wall
that control bladder contraction. So, even though the obstruction has been
removed, the cat can't voluntarily contract his bladder and urinate.

One way to determine if the detrusor muscle has been damaged is by
expressing the bladder manually (don't do it yourself - ask your vet show
you how). If he has a good urine stream when his bladder is expressed, that
means he doesn't have any outflow obstructions and his urethra is intact
and that his problem urinating is probably the result of a damaged detrusor
muscle. If the stream is weak he could still have a partial obstruction (or
recurrence) or urethral spasms.

Unless the bladder was severely overdistended for any length of time, the
tight junctions between the muscle fibers should tighten up and return to
normal and he should be able to contract his bladder and urinate on his own
again. I don't know how long it will take before he's urinating
normally because I don't *if* or how badly the detrusor muscle has been
damaged. *If* the detrusor muscle has been damaged, you're probably going
to have to keep his bladder empty so that the tight junctions can reform-
which means either expressing his bladder manually or using a urinary
catheter. Both carry risks: catheterization can damage the urethra and/or
cause inflammation and dysuria as well as introduce bacteria into the
urinary tract. Expressing the bladder can also damage the bladder. The vet
must be sure that the bladder wall is intact before applying pressure.

Is it normal to prescribe Vlium for this?

Yes- because valium seems to help relieve urethral spasms which are fairly
common after the removal of an urethral obstruction. That might be all
that's necessary- I sure hope so- even though I don't like to use valium in
cats because it can crash a cat's liver.

If his urethra is intact and he doesn't have spasms or a partial
obstruction, and his urine stream is strong when his bladder is expressed,
you might want to speak to your vet bethanechol- it increases detrusor
muscle tone. I'm not crazy about bethanechol but it does work and its
immeasurably less stressful for the cat. Bethanechol seems to work much
better if therapy is begun after a few days of keeping the bladder empty- at
least that was my impression with our cats.

He is also on an antibiotic, and an optional appetite stimulant.

An antibiotic is a good idea since he was probably catheterized. Hang on to
the appetite stimulant because if your vet prescribes bethanechol- you're
gonna need it.

Best of luck,

Phil