Good afternoon, just a a question

Old November 25th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Good afternoon, just a a question

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. The question concerns Dufus, of
course, our cat. A few weeks ago had him in for his checkup and the vet said
the cretin, cratin level, whatever it is, in the kidneys was slightly
elevated and put him on Hills K/D. Of course he doesn't like it at all, eats
just enough to take away the hunger feeling I suppose. My question is, what
is the difference in the K/D and his regular food? Must be lower levels of
something in the K/D. Thanks folks.

--
Paul O.

Old November 25th 05, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Does your vet just happen to sell that?

Try pinging Phil- he's knowledgeable.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old November 25th 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Paul O. wrote:

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. The question concerns Dufus, of
course, our cat. A few weeks ago had him in for his checkup and the
vet said the cretin, cratin level, whatever it is, in the kidneys was
slightly elevated and put him on Hills K/D. Of course he doesn't like
it at all, eats just enough to take away the hunger feeling I suppose.
My question is, what is the difference in the K/D and his regular
food? Must be lower levels of something in the K/D. Thanks folks.

K/D is lower in phosphorus and protein than regular foods. Low phosphorus
is what's especially important for cats in early stages of renal failure.
I hope you're trying the canned version of K/D, the increased water
content is a good thing for kidney patients too. There's a K/D with
chicken that some cats like better than regular K/D. And there are other
brands that have renal diets too, Purina NF is one. There are a few
others as well, hopefully you'll find one your cat will eat willingly.

for more CRF info, check out
http://www.felinecrf.org/ and
http://www.felinecrf.com/

Old November 25th 05, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Barb" wrote in message
o.verio.net...
Does your vet just happen to sell that?

Try pinging Phil- he's knowledgeable.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,
I did it right the first time.

Yes, this is what he has.
I'll wait to see if Phil reads this and chimes in.
--
Paul O.
My sig line is my disclaimer to any advice given

Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats
Learning more every day, but still clueless

Old November 25th 05, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paul O." wrote in message
om...
This is different than the CRF, correct? He was on Waltham's Renal LP some
time ago and apparently is ok on that. CRF is liver?, and now this is
Kidney.

No, CRF stands for Chronic Renal Failure. Renal refers to the kidneys.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 26th 05, 12:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Paul O." wrote in message
om...
This is different than the CRF, correct? He was on Waltham's Renal LP
some
time ago and apparently is ok on that. CRF is liver?, and now this is
Kidney.

No, CRF stands for Chronic Renal Failure. Renal refers to the kidneys.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Ok, got it. Anyway I'm concerned with the amount he is eating now. He
won't hardly touch this stuff. I had started out mixing this with his
other food and now am up to a 50/50 mix. The more of this stuff there is
the less he eats. I used to feed Nutro in a pouch and add water to keep
his urination up. I also have te K/d dry and he eats some of that also,
but again not much. I guess he isn't going to starve himself but I don't
want him losing a lot of weight either.

Old November 26th 05, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
"Paul O." wrote:

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. The question concerns Dufus, of
course, our cat. A few weeks ago had him in for his checkup and the vet said
the cretin, cratin level, whatever it is, in the kidneys was slightly
elevated and put him on Hills K/D. Of course he doesn't like it at all, eats
just enough to take away the hunger feeling I suppose. My question is, what
is the difference in the K/D and his regular food? Must be lower levels of
something in the K/D. Thanks folks.

I agree with the other posters...Phil P knows a lot about this.

I had to put one of my cats on the kidney diet, too. He hated the
regular KD, but would eat the chicken flavor. I did give him some other
foods, too, just to keep him happy and eating well, but I really studied
the phosphorus levels and picked the lowest ones. Phil recommended some
that Dmitri really did like.

Here are two sites that list phosphorus levels of food:

http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canfood.htm

http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html

There seems to be disagreement over whether or not low protein is
important in early stage renal failure. But keeping the phosphorus low
is critical.

Juls

--
Email (remove annoying hyphens)
j-u-l-i-AT-e-c-t-DOT-o-r-g
Old November 26th 05, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paul O." wrote in message
. net...
Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving. The question concerns Dufus, of
course, our cat. A few weeks ago had him in for his checkup and the vet

said
the cretin, cratin level, whatever it is, in the kidneys was slightly
elevated and put him on Hills K/D.

Paul,

K/d is better suited for a cat in mid- to end-stage kidney disease. The
protein content of k/d is too low for a cat in the early stages of CRF. You
really don't want to restrict protein in a cat until the BUN reaches 60-80
mg/dl. Prematurely restricting a cat's protein intake can have some
deleterious consequences. You might want to speak your vet about g/d or x/d-
preferably x/d. They're similar in composition as k/d but contain more
protein and slightly more phosphorus. X/d is less acidic than g/d and almost
identical to k/d's acidity.

Of course he doesn't like it at all, eats
just enough to take away the hunger feeling I suppose.

I understand why he doesn't like k/d- it contains barely enough protein to
meet a cat's daily minimum protein requirement. It doesn't matter how
perfectly formulated a kidney diet is supposed to be if the cat won't eat
it.

Purina ( NF Kidney Function) and Eukanuba (Multi-Stage Renal) are kidney
diets with similar formulations as k/d..

My question is, what
is the difference in the K/D and his regular food? Must be lower levels of
something in the K/D. Thanks folks.

Kidney diets usually contain less protein, phosphorus, sodium and acidity.
In early stage kidney disease I would be more concerned about restricting
phosphorus and acidity than protein. For this, x/d is the best. I've seen
renal cats make dramatic comebacks after switching to x/d from k/d.
Surprisingly, x/d even reduced the BUN in some cats.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old November 26th 05, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message
ink.net...

"Paul O." wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Thanks Phil. Gonna have to go to the vet this morning and get more food this
morning so will try to speak to the vet then and will question the protein
amount. Not sure if he had x/d. The cat had been on Waltham's Renal LP in
the past and am now wondering why the vet didn't put him on that again. How
does this food compare with the Hills.