Pepcid for cats?

Old December 9th 05, 04:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Pepcid for cats?

My son's girlfriend's cat had a case of the pukes (on a Saturday night
of course - I think our cats prefer the emergency clinic to our
regular vet). We took her to the clinic, which did a blood test,
physical exam of the mouth and throat, and took xrays.

Little booger was fine, but the doctor said she saw a lot of gas
inside her stomach and large intestine. So she gave Chloe a shot of
Pepcid AC.

Chloe was a doll for three days.. no more freaking out or acting
bipolar. Then she started getting crabby again.

The vet said something about giving her regular Pepcid, bought off the
shelf at the drug store.

Has anyone done this? Any feelings about dosage? Is it really safe?

Thanks for any info.

BLink
Old December 9th 05, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

When my cat had a bout of vomiting and seemed a bit off, my vet told me it
would be okay to give my cat regular Pepcid AC....about 1/4 of a pill once a
day. Also, I know that cats that suffer from CRF are recommended to take
1/4 pill of Pepcid daily too to control the nausea they have. I did this
with my previous cat.

Sue

Old December 9th 05, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Brian Link" wrote in message
My son's girlfriend's cat had a case of the pukes (on a Saturday night
of course - I think our cats prefer the emergency clinic to our
regular vet). We took her to the clinic, which did a blood test,
physical exam of the mouth and throat, and took xrays.

Little booger was fine, but the doctor said she saw a lot of gas
inside her stomach and large intestine. So she gave Chloe a shot of
Pepcid AC.

Chloe was a doll for three days.. no more freaking out or acting
bipolar. Then she started getting crabby again.

The vet said something about giving her regular Pepcid, bought off the
shelf at the drug store.

Has anyone done this? Any feelings about dosage? Is it really safe?

Thanks for any info.

BLink

http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#famotidine

Helen

Old December 10th 05, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

1/4 a pill daily is recommended. Buy one of those pill cutters with the
blade in it because you can't split these pills up without one. I have a
cat who has a heart murmer and the vet commends he gets 1/4 pill daily for
his stomach.

Celeste

Old December 10th 05, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Brian Link" wrote in message
My son's girlfriend's cat had a case of the pukes (on a Saturday night
of course - I think our cats prefer the emergency clinic to our
regular vet). We took her to the clinic, which did a blood test,
physical exam of the mouth and throat, and took xrays.

Little booger was fine, but the doctor said she saw a lot of gas
inside her stomach and large intestine. So she gave Chloe a shot of
Pepcid AC.

Chloe was a doll for three days.. no more freaking out or acting
bipolar. Then she started getting crabby again.

The vet said something about giving her regular Pepcid, bought off the
shelf at the drug store.

Has anyone done this? Any feelings about dosage? Is it really safe?

Thanks for any info.

BLink

There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
Which are you talking about?

BLink
Old December 10th 05, 05:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Brian Link" wrote

There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.

No there isn't. Go back and look again.

Old December 10th 05, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"cybercat" wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote

There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.

No there isn't. Go back and look again.

I have a product by Pepcid that is one big Tums type of tablet. The
difference between it and the original is that it has dual action of
immediate relief as well as the priming your stomach before eating.

-mhd
Old December 10th 05, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You want to use the regular strength pepcid ac (10 mg), not pepcid complete,
not maximum strength, not the chewable kind. The usual dosage for a cat is
1/4 pill once a day or once every other day. Use a pill splitter; it works
pretty good at cutting one of those small pills into quarters.

Old December 10th 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
"cybercat" wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote

There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.

No there isn't. Go back and look again.

I have a product by Pepcid that is one big Tums type of tablet. The
difference between it and the original is that it has dual action of
immediate relief as well as the priming your stomach before eating.

-mhd

I stand corrected. I have never seen this. All I have ever seen is Pepcid
Complete and regular Pepcid, which come in small tabs, either chewable
or non.

Old December 10th 05, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Brian Link" wrote in message
There seems to be two different types of Pepcid, one that comes
regular pill-sized, and another chewable that's more like a big Tums.
Which are you talking about?

If you bothered to read the link I posted, you'd know.

Helen