Why Cats are Better than Television

Old December 10th 05, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Why Cats are Better than Television

So, I have a couple of small birds of some kind building
a nest under the eaves of my porch. I have installed
reflective film on the windows on that side of the house
so it is possible to see out, but looking in is mirrored.

As you can imagine, Bubba the cat finds this arrangement
to be quite entertaining even though he seems to be totally
petrified at the idea of actually venturing outside. He parks
his considerable carcass on the back of a couch and watches
the birds come and go, occasionally vocalizing his displeasure
at the trespassers. Even when the birds are absent, he'll
intently watch that window and wait for some action.

A few days ago one of the birds decided to start a fight
with it's reflection in the window. For Bubba, this was
like watching the Super Bowl or something. He crept closer
and closer to the window till he was about a foot away, with
the poor bird completely unaware of his presence. The bird
kept pecking at it's reflection in an increasingly frantic
manner until poor Bubba could no longer restrain himself.

Bubba launched his 21 Lbs at the window and bounced off
with a resounding thud. The bird decided that the fight
was over and flew off. The look on Bubba's face was priceless
and I surely wish that I had a camcorder for this episode
of

"Why Cats are Better than Television"

Claude
Old December 10th 05, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

claudel wrote:

[...]

LOL!

My cat likes to sit in one of the recliners watching the TV. When I go
get a snack, she follows me to the kitchen. If I return to the TV with a
snack but didn't get her one, she gets royally upset and there will be
no peace until she gets a snack too. Once she has her snack she will
settle down, but is still glaring at me munching away with that look
"How come you are still eating and I'm finished already?"

I think she has taken after me just a little bit too much!

Old December 10th 05, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
Joe Canuck wrote:
claudel wrote:

[...]

Bubba has developed an endearing method of informing me
that it is an appropriate moment for me to provide his
due portion of whatever it is that I'm eating by placing
his ample behind on my foot and looking up in anticipation.

If he wasn't a bit overweight I'd be more inclined to play
along. It doesn't matter what I'm eating. Anything from
oatmeal to fajitas (his favorite) that I'm having is
subject to the Royal taxation. It's tough to ignore a
huge cat sitting on your foot...

Claude
Old December 11th 05, 06:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

ROTFLMAO That's too funny !!

Gaya used to sit on top of the TV and try to catch whatever was moving on
Animal Planet.. So I'd be watching with a paw going accross the TV every
once in a while..

Belkira would just sit in from of the TV/Window/Door and meow until
something distracted him.. grrrr

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

Old December 11th 05, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"claudel" wrote in message
[...]

LOL That is hilarious! Our two only have an apartment window to look out (we
are moving to a house in a few days and plan to get a bird house outside a
patio door to see what they do ) they now have a load of trees to watch
squirrels and birds and just sit there and bark at them.

As for watching TV, they do that as well. Delilah likes TV where there are
boarder collies chasing sheep, football (soccer) and Stargate whereas Stella
likes cooking shows and hockey. The other day my husband called out to
Delilah "Delilah, football's on in 15 minutes" out of a DEAD SLEEP the cat
ran down the hall and got in her chair to watch the match. I am still
speechless on that one.

Old December 11th 05, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article ,
..oO rach Oo. wrote:

"claudel" wrote in message
[...]

I'm pretty sure that the reflective window coating made this possible.
There's no way that birds would nest that close if they knew who was
watching...

I've been thinking of putting up a hummingbird feeder, but they only
seem to be around here in the desert for a couple of weeks each year

My friends on the coast have great luck with their feeder in the winter

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/hummingbirds1.jpg

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/hungrybrds.jpg

Their cats leave the hummers alone...

As for watching TV, they do that as well. Delilah likes TV where there are
boarder collies chasing sheep, football (soccer) and Stargate whereas Stella
likes cooking shows and hockey. The other day my husband called out to
Delilah "Delilah, football's on in 15 minutes" out of a DEAD SLEEP the cat
ran down the hall and got in her chair to watch the match. I am still
speechless on that one.

Bubba is completely disinterested in the TV except to flinch
if there's a loud sound on... Cat has more sense than I do.

Claude

rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 19th 05 05:35 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM