Cat Drinking More Water than Usual

Old December 21st 05, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat Drinking More Water than Usual

Our cat suddenly seems to be drinking lots of water. He is a one year
old male ginger cat and since a kitten he has always drank from a mug.
He has recently started to drink a good cm or 2 of water a day from the
mug (big round one). He eats a mixture or dry and wet food (quite a
greedy cat). Not sure why he is suddenly drinking more (used to drink
that amount over a couple of days) - he has also been sick several
times this week as well. On one day in the morning he was fairly dopey
(wouldn't eat (very unusual, usually wakes us up for food) or play) but
perked up later that morning!

I havn't taken him to the vet yet but am worried about him. Anyone any
ideas - seems a bit early for any kind of kidney failure or major
problems and can't believe diabeties can come on within a few weeks
(other issues i have seen related to excess water drinking). His fur
seems quite healthy and he seems to wash himself a fair bit.

Can't think of much else tosay that might help, he has one other cat
who is also a male who tries to come in through our cat flap and also a
female cat next door who he plays with quite a bit. He has had all his
jabs and has been de-maled. He is also quite playful and affectionate
except if you go near his back legs (probably another problem), he is
quite happy with you playingand holding his front paws.

The weather has got alot colder recently, but it has been fairly dry
outdoors. Not sure if that has an effect?

Any help would be appreciated - shall I take him to the vet or see how
things pan out? We have insurance so if it is major they should pay up.

Old December 21st 05, 08:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

get cat to vet

--
Sandra

Old December 21st 05, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Before you read the rest exactly how much water is he drinking I have 5
cats and there are 6 big dog sized round bowls that we refill every other
day. You measure a cat intake by mL not in cm amount. Have you changed
brands for the wet food some wet food actually have less water in them so
hence the cat would drink more. This is a link to Phil's site it had the
nutrition part about water check this out and read the rest of my response
below http://www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Rob any strange activity for a cat involving eating and or drinking It has
to meanings ONE PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO YOUR 4 LEG AND OR GET YOUR CAT
TO A VET. Diabetes can come on that quick so can alot of feline problems
unless you get a full workup to find out what is wrong no one out here can
diagnose a problem.

Let me tell you me experience with a feline diseases my cat rumble is 6 at
3 years of age he was being up on my bed doing his own thing watching me
messing on the computer. He yelped and went in to a seizure no warning
nothing that was the scariest moment of my like to see a friend in
distress. 2 of the last 3 years have been hell. That is how quick
anything can happen unlike humans who can tell us what is wrong cat have
sometimes tell tale signs that you need to pay attention to this is one of
them.

Any odd for an cat activity is a sign that you need to take the cat to the
vet. There are about 10 things that come to my mind why a cat drinks
excess water and all need vet attention or at least a vet to rule out a
problem. The least of them is that the cat is not getting enough water from
the food

I hoped this helps let us know what happens

Matthew

"Sandra" wrote in message
get cat to vet

--
Sandra

Old December 21st 05, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Definitely get him to the vet.

chas

Old December 21st 05, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

If he's been sick, along with the drinking of more water, I'd take him
in and have blood tests run. He's pretty young for kidney problems and
diabetes, but who knows? Has he had any steroid medications? Our cat
came down with diabetes within 3 weeks of a steroid shot.

The sooner you catch the problem, the better.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old December 22nd 05, 08:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

He has been to the vet and subjected to a blood test. That has come
back clear which is a relief. The vet has said that he is running a
slight temp and may just have had a reaction to his recent jabs.
Hopefully he should be fine in a few weeks. Thanks for everyones
comments.

Old December 22nd 05, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Well that's good news in time for Christmas. Hope he feels better soon.

chas

Urinary tract crystals - causes Rhino Cat health & behaviour 113 December 9th 05 03:56 PM
[REPOST] Defeated Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 September 8th 05 11:27 PM
Changing drinking behaviour [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 6 February 1st 05 04:00 PM
Water for outdoor cats KellyH Cat health & behaviour 10 December 20th 04 08:13 PM
Distilled water and cats Riceps Cat health & behaviour 36 October 12th 03 04:56 PM