Beloved pet crossed the bridge today.

Old December 23rd 05, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Beloved pet crossed the bridge today.

Seventeen years ago it was -30C and I was bending over to plug in my
car when a tiny scrap of black fur quite literally fastened his little
body around my face. Nose to nose, he mewed at me, the most pathetic
little sound you can imagine. To me it said "Lady, if you don't take me
in I'm going to die."

That little scrap was starving and freezing and, no surprize, no one
came to claim him despite our ads. He stayed on. He eventually grew
into one very big black long haired cat with a sprinkling of white
hairs. We don't know what breed he was but his behaviour was like a
ragdoll and his shape and size and face structure was that of a Maine
Coon. He had the longest fluffiest tail I ever saw on a cat.We started
out calling him Ebony but it wasn't right. IN a few eeks everyone was
just calling him Schnookie.

Schnookie was a very easy going and easy to love animal. Many other
pets came and went during his tenure. He had a knack for making friends
with everyone in our house and a real love for babies, including,
strangely enough, the human kind. For a time we ran a cat rescue in our
house and 17 cats came and went, many of them kittens, over the five
year period. Schnookie could always be counted on to welcome the
newcomer and cuddle and wash a lonely kitten. He even attended the
dellivery of a dsitraught mother and appeared to calm her. Most
recently, he positively doted over my grandson and didn't seem to mind
at all when the toddler mauled him and even when the baby pulled out
his fur. For years, Schnookie decided his special duty was putting my
daughter to bed at night. When she left for university he was lost and
miserable for weeks afterward without his special charge.

For the last four years of his life he lived with my son in a two
bedroom upstairs suite with his dear friend, a big fluffy Humane
Society rescue named Trixie. He remained king of the neigbourhood, the
last of our cats who ever went and roamed outside, although towards the
end he never left the yard.

About six months it was obvious he was in decline. First, he lost his
front upper fang. Then he was no longer winning fights in his yard so
that stranger were spraying his doorstep and he stopped going outdoors.
He began losing weight and his thick glossy fur lost its luster. Last
month he slowly became irritable and withdrawn and began holding his
left ear at a funny angle and his neck out in an awkward way. This week
he started having accidents. His ability to control his bladder had
never been great, but suddenly he was spraying and dribbling
everywhere.

The vet said dear Schnookie had developed a growth, most likely a
lymphoma type cancer, in his neck with tentacles extending up into his
ear and down into his chest and back, and likely into other places and
the wetting problem was related to a direct metastasis or a way of
showing his pain.

Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
weeks.

Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.

Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
love and good food.

See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

Old December 23rd 05, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote

See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old

friendsthere ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

He sounds like a really wonderful cat. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old December 23rd 05, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Seems like you two brought so much to each others..

I'm sorry you lost Schnookie, I've been there I know how it hurts.

I can't help thinking that he was so lucky to have found you and so were you
!

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

oups.com...

Old December 23rd 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Schnookie sounds like a truly awesome cat. Thanks for sharing his
story. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Michelle

Old December 24th 05, 12:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
beautiful message snipped to reduce length
Schnookie did not come home. He crossed the bridge today. I cried a
lot. I regret we didn't take him sooner because he suffered those last
weeks.

Cats have come and gone in my life but Schnookie was one of those
special ones, always around for all the big events of our family's
life. He grew up with our kids. He was part of our family.

Schnookie, parents unknown, predeceased by his bestest buddy Marty Cat,
survived by his beloved Trixie, and a heart broken human family who
wishes the dear ones could go on forever and never grow old. We take
comfort from the fact that we know yoou had a good long life full of
love and good food.

See you at the bridge, Schnookie. No doubt you had lots of old friends
there ahead of you and Marty was the first one to leap on top of you.

What a wonderful tribute. This is one of those messages that made me cry,
but they are bittersweet tears because it is obvious that Schnookie had a
wonderful life.

MaryL

Old December 24th 05, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

So sorry about losing Schnookie. Sometimes a cat you just seem to meet in
the street turns out to be so magical. Schnookie really did live a very
long life for a cat and seems like a very good life, too, except for the
last few days.

Cats of course have a much shorter life span than we do so that we can take
care of them through their whole lifetime. But it sure does feel terrible
when they have to leave.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old December 24th 05, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:55:45 -0800, Judith011 wrote:

[...]

"Rise up slowly, Angel. It's hard to let you go..."
Sincere condolences in the passing of your well loved friend. MLB

Today gracecat Cat anecdotes 52 October 13th 04 02:01 PM
Today Seumas has died and joined our Julia... Marc Cat anecdotes 8 April 26th 04 09:12 PM
Roxy is being a sweetheart today! Marina Cat anecdotes 1 December 22nd 03 02:30 PM
Charley went to the bridge today Tanada Cat anecdotes 18 September 3rd 03 05:11 AM
the journey to the bridge Uncle Fred Cat community 6 July 29th 03 12:31 AM