hoppy

Old December 29th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default hoppy

our cat is now six and has just lost his front leg after many months of
trying to save it, Please do they cope ? do they live for a long time
if you let them out ? i would really love to know mwe want to do whats
best. we love him

Old December 29th 05, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Just because he lost his front leg does not mean he can't have a good
quality of life. There are cats and dogs out there that have lost both
their back legs and go around on a wheeled trailer. Animals adopt to what
ever is necessary just like humans do.

If your vet says he needs to be put down go seek a second opinion you have
had a friend for 6 years would you give up on a human friend just because
they lost a arm.

ups.com...

Old December 29th 05, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

We are the owners of a rottie, who has both crucial ligaments paid for
and another cat , we would never dream of putting him to sleep ! what i
am so worried about is leaving him go back out . I love to know he is
asleep ay the bottom of my bed but the vet said because he is an
"outside" ! cat it will be cruel to keep him in for the next 10 or 12
years.

Old December 29th 05, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
We are the owners of a rottie, who has both crucial ligaments paid for
and another cat , we would never dream of putting him to sleep ! what i
am so worried about is leaving him go back out . I love to know he is
asleep ay the bottom of my bed but the vet said because he is an
"outside" ! cat it will be cruel to keep him in for the next 10 or 12
years.

Your vet is wrong. Cats adjust quite well to the indoor life, and even come
to prefer it.
Both of my cats were outdoor cats and don't even try to get out any more.
You are not thinking about letting him out, are you?

Old December 29th 05, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Your vet is way out of date and uninformed typical vet now adays. It is
far from cruel to keep an animals inside that you love. Specially now that
the cat is down to 3 legs think about other animals chasing it.
Here are a couple of links about the subject.

http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/outside-world.shtml
This is Phil's site
http://www.maxshouse.com/outdoor_risks.htm

oups.com...

Old December 29th 05, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Not at all, oli was 8 wks old & had never been handled he"s my baby but
,he is desperate , three times he broke his leg ! my rottie is third in
line our two cats rule the roost but she cries when i dont let him out
because he does ! how do you solve that one !

Old December 29th 05, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"olicat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Not at all, oli was 8 wks old & had never been handled he"s my baby but
,he is desperate , three times he broke his leg ! my rottie is third in
line our two cats rule the roost but she cries when i dont let him out
because he does ! how do you solve that one !

Ignore them and keep your cat inside and safe.

Old December 29th 05, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
We are the owners of a rottie, who has both crucial ligaments paid for
and another cat , we would never dream of putting him to sleep ! what i
am so worried about is leaving him go back out . I love to know he is
asleep ay the bottom of my bed but the vet said because he is an
"outside" ! cat it will be cruel to keep him in for the next 10 or 12
years.

Many vets know a great deal about the medical care of cats (that's what
they're trained for), but they may know very little about issues such as
indoors-outdoors. *Many* people have had success in acclimating a formerly
outdoor cat to become indoor-only. In your case, that would be essential --
and it is *not* cruel. I had a feral cat that eventually became a
wonderfully loving companion. He also became an indoor-only cat and at some
point lost all interest in the outdoors. All of my other cats have also
been indoor-only, but none had a formerly outdoor existence. Please google
to find some descriptions that may help you in this process.

MaryL