Cat smells left in house

Old January 4th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat smells left in house

My husband and I have just bought our first house. (Yay!) The
current owners have 4 cats, 2 dogs, and some fish. I suspect the
carpets and more will smell like the former pets. What do you recommend
to remove the previous pet smells? Would Simple Solution work for this
kind of thing?
We've moved with the cats before but now that two are older and one is
already spooked by moving, we want it to be as comfortable on them as
possible. I think the smells are the biggest obstacle we have left to
deal with.

Stacia

Old January 4th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Glitter Ninja" wrote in message
My husband and I have just bought our first house. (Yay!) The
current owners have 4 cats, 2 dogs, and some fish. I suspect the
carpets and more will smell like the former pets. What do you recommend
to remove the previous pet smells? Would Simple Solution work for this
kind of thing?
We've moved with the cats before but now that two are older and one is
already spooked by moving, we want it to be as comfortable on them as
possible. I think the smells are the biggest obstacle we have left to
deal with.

Congratulations on your first house!

Is there a chance there are hardwoods or parquet [sp?] under the carpet?
Because if so, I sure would rip ALL the carpet out. It is so much nicer
having hardwoods, cleaner and healthier for things like allergies to dust
and mold, pet dander etc. We lucked out--our house had hardwoods
covered by old wall-to-wall and when we pulled it up the floors were
beautiful.

Old January 4th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"cybercat" writes:

Is there a chance there are hardwoods or parquet [sp?] under the carpet?
Because if so, I sure would rip ALL the carpet out.

Unfortunately, no. It was built just 12 years ago so it just has a
solid but icky floor with particle board under the carpet. The carpets
aren't that great but if we can, we need to get a few more years out of
'em.

Stacia

Old January 4th 06, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Glitter Ninja wrote:

Unfortunately, no. It was built just 12 years ago so it just has a
solid but icky floor with particle board under the carpet. The carpets
aren't that great but if we can, we need to get a few more years out of
'em.

Stacia

congrats on the home, I know it's exciting

maybe in the meantime you could just give the carpets a good steam
cleaning
maybe rent a steam cleaner for the day, or maybe pay 300 bucks to a
company
to clean them for you?

I am sure there are steam cleaning solutions that specialize in
neutralizing pet odors.
or...the pet supply might have something you could add to the steam
cleaning solution.

Old January 4th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Congrats on your new home! The best thing for pet odor is "Anti Icky
Poo". Search on google and you can buy it online. I would invest in a
bissel or hoover carpet cleaner (100-200 bucks) and use this diluted to
shampoo rugs. You may also use a black lite to check (prior to
cleaning) for any urine marks left by prior cats or dogs. If you find
them, treat with full strength anti icky poo.

HTH!

Old January 4th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I think it will depend on the types of smells you are talking about. If
the previous pets have been marking territory (urinating), you have a
difficult problem to handle. I went so far as to tear up the carpet in the
room that was marked and throw it away. I then took a paint that would
seal the oder into the particle board and gagave the parts that were marked
several coats. It took several to kill the oder. Cats and dogs will also
mark walls. They can be washed, but gravity takes it behind the base board
so spray paint is required to seal these places. This is called the
nuclear option.

First I would try some of the enzyme based products if urine is the
problem.

To improve on the general pet oders, you will need to either wash ddown the
walls or re-paint or re-wall paper them. Clean the carpets as suggested by
another responder, or contact a contractor that splecializes in oder
removal.

Pets have tremendously keen sensitivity to smells. I doubt if there is any
way to clean a house beyond the sensitivity range of the average cat or
dog. Make sure you have something in the new house that has the smell of
your pets on it so they can find a friendly place in the new house.

Congrats on the new home.

Old January 4th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Glitter Ninja wrote:
My husband and I have just bought our first house. (Yay!) The
current owners have 4 cats, 2 dogs, and some fish. I suspect the
carpets and more will smell like the former pets. What do you recommend
to remove the previous pet smells? Would Simple Solution work for this
kind of thing?
We've moved with the cats before but now that two are older and one is
already spooked by moving, we want it to be as comfortable on them as
possible. I think the smells are the biggest obstacle we have left to
deal with.

Stacia

Stacia, you might want to check with a professional odor-removal
company. I"m not sure how expensive they are, but I do know that
realtors use them often when selling a home that's been formerly
inhabited by pets, smokers, or whatever. They're in the yellow pages,
usually affiliated with a carpet cleaning service.
Or if you want to do it yourself, you'd need a good enzyme cleaner.
Simple Solution is one, so is Nature's Miracle, although I don't think
Nature's Miracle works as well as it used to. One poster here who is
very knowlegeable recommends ODO-KLEEN. I always intended to try it,
but (knock on wood) have not had a cat odor problem with my current
crew yet.
The cats are probably still going to be able to smell the former feline
occupants no matter how well you clean it though. I do think it will
help to use an enzyme cleaner.
Have you ever thought about Feliway? It's probably about a $40-$50
investment but if you can afford it, I think it will really help calm
your cats, especiall in their new environment with all those new
smells.

Sherry

Old January 10th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Clyde mentioned a product with enzymes in it, I have the name of one
and it works! REALLY WORKS.

"Four Paws" Industrial Super Strength Stain & Odour Remover, as it says
on the bottle. The listed ingredients a Water, Saccharmys Ferment,
Methyl Alcohol, Fragrance, Trisodium EDTA. It contains enzymes. The
print on the bottle says that it will neutralise dog and cat urine on
wool, nylon, acrylic, polypropylene fabrics and carpets, but is not
recommended for use on rayon, viscose or other cellulosic materials
(whatever one of those is when it's out shopping!). It has a strong
fragrance of Almonds (or you might say heavy or overpowering depending
on your like or dislike of almonds). There is also a money back
guarantee if it doesn't work. It not only neutralises the smell, but
also prevents the cat from returning to the same spot. (So does the toe
of a shoe right up the crack of its but!)

Four Paws Products Ltd,
50 Wireless Blvd.
Hauppauge,
NY 11788 (631) 434-1100.
U.S.A.

Jellicle Ball: Calling the Names of Honorees Mietze Cat community 25 October 19th 05 04:29 PM
Another forward Nanny Cat anecdotes 0 September 4th 05 08:31 PM
Jellicle Ball: Final Calling of Names Mietze Cat community 20 November 12th 04 07:59 PM
Jellicle Ball: Final Calling ov Names The Clowder Cat community 20 October 24th 03 07:04 AM
Jellicle Ball: Calling of Names Mietze Cat community 38 October 22nd 03 03:16 AM