One fat cat , one slender cat.

Old January 8th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default One fat cat , one slender cat.

Hi, I'm new to the group. I have 2 cats, both males, one is 8 one is
10. My 8 year old is one tubby kitty while my 10 year old is in just
about perfect shape. They are both neutered. They both eat about the
same amount of food. They are both equally lazy... LOL. I need to get
my 8 year old's weight down, but it's very difficult to do. I don't
want to cut down my 10 year old's food, because I don't want him to
lose any weight. Any suggestions?

Old January 9th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Suddenly, without warning, Terri exclaimed (08-Jan-06 4:02 PM):
Hi, I'm new to the group. I have 2 cats, both males, one is 8 one is
10. My 8 year old is one tubby kitty while my 10 year old is in just
about perfect shape. They are both neutered. They both eat about the
same amount of food. They are both equally lazy... LOL. I need to get
my 8 year old's weight down, but it's very difficult to do. I don't
want to cut down my 10 year old's food, because I don't want him to
lose any weight. Any suggestions?

Have you talked to the vet? There are medical issues that can make a
cat gain weight.

jmc
Old January 9th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Terri" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'm new to the group. I have 2 cats, both males, one is 8 one is
10. My 8 year old is one tubby kitty while my 10 year old is in just
about perfect shape. They are both neutered. They both eat about the
same amount of food. They are both equally lazy... LOL. I need to get
my 8 year old's weight down, but it's very difficult to do. I don't
want to cut down my 10 year old's food, because I don't want him to
lose any weight. Any suggestions?

Yes! We had this same situation. While you really do need to ask your
vet (as every cat is different and your cats are getting older so you want
to be extra careful) I will tell you what mine had me do.

First, I switched to an all canned-food diet, and saw immediate
improvement in both cats--shinier fur, better energy, more
play, and they just wanted their food more. Second, I stopped
free-feeding (used to keep a bowl of dry down) and began
feeding equal portions 12 hours apart. (Expect resistance from
the fat cat! Our little tuxedo got RADical, slapped our feet,
cursed us in cat, and worse.) Once I was feeding an amount
that kept the fat cat at her then-current weight, the vet told me
to decrease her food by 1/4. I did. She lost weight steadily
and not too quickly. She started at 18 pounds and now weighs
about 8-9! She is a much happier cat, and now can race down
the stairs in a fluid motion instead of going "thump THUMP,
thump THUMP, thump THUMP."

How do I keep the fat cat's food separate from the skinny
cat? I prepare both in the kitchen while the kitties cheer,
then leave Boo's in the kitchen (I also give her her pills
then, makes it easier and easier to remember) and take
Gracie's upstairs where I have made one of my nightstands
into a feeding station. I put a thick towel down (a bathroom
rug also works well if you have the kind that does not have
that icky rubber stuff, which I think is bad for the wood) and
put Gracie's food and water there. I make sure to place them
so she can be in a comfortable position when she eats, and not
all bent over and cramped up.

Good luck!

Old January 9th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"cybercat" wrote in message

How do I keep the fat cat's food separate from the skinny
cat? I prepare both in the kitchen while the kitties cheer,
then leave Boo's in the kitchen (I also give her her pills
then, makes it easier and easier to remember) and take
Gracie's upstairs where I have made one of my nightstands
into a feeding station.

I forgot to say that Boo, when fat, was either unwilling or unable
to jump up on the night table, even though there are "steps" such
as one of those little bed step things, a hassock at the foot of the
bed, and the bed, which is much higher. For whatever reason,
she is still unwilling to get up there--she may not think she can,
though she is certainly light enough now. She is 11 years old.

Old January 9th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You just feed the cats separately. If you are free feeding, that must
stop. You will now feed your cats twice a day. You will give them no
more than 15 minutes to finish eating. One cat will be fed in another
room, perhaps even a closet or laundry room. Close the door while
feeding. After 15 minutes, remove all food from both cats. Soon both
cats will be finishing all food and you can feed each the exact amount
you want them to have. Yes they will give you trouble.

Old January 10th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks to all responses. I appreciate it. I have consulted my vet. He
says my cat seems perfectly healthy other than the weight issue. I will
try one of these ideas and see how it goes.