Not sure about behaviour

Old January 9th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Not sure about behaviour

Hi everyone, I'm a new member to the group.

My partner and I have recently (early November) adopted a 2 year old
cat - domestic tabby. Not much is known about her history as she was
rescued from someome who was hoarding cats. She had a blood test at the
RSPCA (in the UK) and everything was fine - she was also pregnant when
she came into the centre, and delivered kittens. After that she was
"altered". She's also had all her relevant injections.

More and more recently she has been miaowing for attention and
sometimes she will back up onto a wall/object, and her tail will be up
in the air and it will wiggle about. I've been told that this is
spraying. She doesn't miaow at night, apart from when she's up and
about at 6am wanting food :-)

Should we be worried? For now she is a house cat. We're still in two
minds about letting her out to be an indoor/outdoor cat - she was also
quite underweight when she was rescued and we've been looking after her
and thankfully she has put on weight and she now seems fine.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks :-)

Old January 9th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I forgot to add - she is also scratching furniture and the carpets a
LOT. She's done this since day 1. We've given her a scratch post, and
tried to get her interested in it - sprayed catnip on it, gently put
her paws on it, dangled her favourite toy around it, to no avail.

Old January 9th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wanders up to mic...pops it a few times, pulls it down to
her mouth and musters up these words:

My partner and I have recently (early November) adopted a 2 year old
cat - domestic tabby.

congrats!

Not much is known about her history as she was
rescued from someome who was hoarding cats. She had a blood test at the
RSPCA (in the UK) and everything was fine - she was also pregnant when
she came into the centre, and delivered kittens. After that she was
"altered". She's also had all her relevant injections.

More and more recently she has been miaowing [ ah! so that's how it's

spelled] for attention and
sometimes she will back up onto a wall/object, and her tail will be up
in the air and it will wiggle about. I've been told that this is
spraying. She doesn't miaow snicker at night, apart from when she's up

and
about at 6am wanting food :-)

Should we be worried? For now she is a house cat. We're still in two
minds about letting her out to be an indoor/outdoor cat - she was also
quite underweight when she was rescued and we've been looking after her
and thankfully she has put on weight and she now seems fine.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks :-)

I lost a cat who I let outside at night.

While it is true that cats have no natural enemies...it can happen.
Some people would argue that you can "save a bird" mhmmm...
by keeping her inside.

I say keep her inside, and/or, fence her in if she goes out. (the kind cats
cannot elude)

There is a user here who calls themselves "equalizer", EQ sells a product
just for something like this.
(i want my commission EQ!)...

yeah, keep her inside or have a special area outside to keep her safe...the
thing is...
you end up loving them like a child really...and it's just heartbreaking if
something happens
(and plenty can happen).

*I like my money, people think I make alot
I named my child Jesus cause i likes the name...
I send him to the finest school in town, but Jesus
he just wants to goto venus and leave me far behind
while I slowly die. My family business thrives..but
I think Jesus is getting tired of blowing up balloons*

Old January 9th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
oups.com...
I forgot to add - she is also scratching furniture and the carpets a
LOT. She's done this since day 1. We've given her a scratch post, and
tried to get her interested in it - sprayed catnip on it, gently put
her paws on it, dangled her favourite toy around it, to no avail.

I find cats are alot like children, they can be slow to learn sometimes
but they can learn, and sounds like you have nice patience about this...
they do respond to the human touch...

I have a kitten, when I want her to stop something like...
tangling herself in my studio wires under the console...
I blow on her...she looks at me cross and runs.

(maybe get a can of compressed air, keep it in your apron)

Old January 9th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Levon" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I forgot to add - she is also scratching furniture and the carpets a
LOT. She's done this since day 1. We've given her a scratch post, and
tried to get her interested in it - sprayed catnip on it, gently put
her paws on it, dangled her favourite toy around it, to no avail.

I find cats are alot like children, they can be slow to learn sometimes
but they can learn, and sounds like you have nice patience about this...
they do respond to the human touch...

I have a kitten, when I want her to stop something like...
tangling herself in my studio wires under the console...
I blow on her...she looks at me cross and runs.

(maybe get a can of compressed air, keep it in your apron)

Or maybe get her something she likes to scratch even better
than your furniture. Like this:

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

You may have heard of it.

Old January 9th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

Or maybe get her something she likes to scratch even better
than your furniture. Like this:

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

You may have heard of it.

ah yes! the scratching problem.
I was thinking about the indoor outdoor debate for her.

alpine scratcher! I hear they are super irresistable
cats just luuuuv to put their paws into them!
lol...