Jessie's Blood Test Results

Old January 13th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Jessie's Blood Test Results

Her T3s look fine and there is no other indication of thyroid problems, her
BUN and creatinin levels are perfect.

The only abnormality was a low white blood cell count. This is ominous
because it's the second time within a year that she's had a low white blood
cell count (the last time was back in June of 2005) and that could point to
FIV. I have to get on the phone to all her past vets to see if she has ever
been immunized for FIV because if she doesn't spring back to health in the
next week or so they want to test her for it (and if she's ever been
immunized for it, it will show up as a positive reading).

They gave her some Clavamox to keep her from getting any secondary
infections while she's in a weakened condition.

Any ideas anyone? Comments? Like experiences? Do you think I should take
her to her regular vet (this would probably involve about a $300 - $400 fee
if they want to retest, and it was her regular vet who'd tested and found
the low white blood cell count less than a year ago).

I'm getting kind of panicked here - do you think she could have contracted
FIV in any of the short forays she's spent when she escaped outside? Should
she be segregated from my other cats?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 14th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

CatNipped wrote:

I'm getting kind of panicked here - do you think she could have contracted
FIV in any of the short forays she's spent when she escaped outside? Should
she be segregated from my other cats?

Hi, Lori. From all I've ever read on FIV, it is primarily contracted
thru bite wounds so, unless Jessie and your other cats fight and draw
blood, I wouldn't worry about segregation. Same with her forays
outside: if she didn't come back with a wound, I doubt if she got it
that way. I think they can have it from birth and it can flare up
later on. I hope she'll be okay.

Candace

Old January 14th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
CatNipped wrote:

I'm getting kind of panicked here - do you think she could have
contracted
FIV in any of the short forays she's spent when she escaped outside?
Should
she be segregated from my other cats?

Hi, Lori. From all I've ever read on FIV, it is primarily contracted
thru bite wounds so, unless Jessie and your other cats fight and draw
blood, I wouldn't worry about segregation. Same with her forays
outside: if she didn't come back with a wound, I doubt if she got it
that way. I think they can have it from birth and it can flare up
later on. I hope she'll be okay.

Candace

Thanks Candace!

She tested negative for FIV in December of 1999 (that's when we first got
her - she was born in July of 1999), at the same time she was spayed and
immunized. She was only out overnight one time about 2 months ago (when my
granddaughters let her out after I had gone to bed and I didn't find her
until the next morning when I heard her meowing at the door). Other than
that one time, she's mostly out for only a few minutes while we chase her
down. She's never had a bite wound (or any other type of wound other than a
scratch on her paw pad that happened inside). And since she was spayed in
1999, I doubt there was any type of mating behavior going on when she was
out.

I hope this is all just a scare, but I'm going to have her tested for my own
peace of mind - and worst case to take care of any special needs she may
have if she is FIV+ and her immune system is compromised.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped