Kami May be Dying

Old January 18th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Kami May be Dying

"Margarita Salt" wrote in message
Please spare me the usual flames. At least try to feel something for
the cat if not the cat-mom.

Even though I can't stand you, I never let personal feelings interfere with
helping a cat if I can.

A week ago, cat came down with am imfection that cannot be identified
at bladder, tract, or kidney because no one can get urine from her.
She was put on Baytril after a shot of Benzapen. Since Friday, she
refused to eat. She would go toward the food, but opt for a drink of
water instead. A lot of water, in fact.

Come Monday, I called the vet and told her that I have not given up on
Kami, but but may be giving up herself. Dr. Tina said to give Kami
WHATEVER she wanted to eat. It was more important that she right now
than WHAT she ate.

So last night, I offered tuna, which she gobbled a good tablespoon of,
but then she wouldn't touch it again. After that, I gave her the
favorite baby food, which she ate. Still refusing tuna, and out of
baby food, I bought her the favorite hamburger. She ate a few bits,
still refused tuna, and THEN refused the baby food. I pretend that any
one of the choices was MY food, which usually gets her interested, but
she kept refusing. She also keeps going toward the food, choosing
water instead.

Is she trying for kitty suicide? I have given her fluids twice in the
week, but that hasn't helped. The doc took her off Baytril yesterday
She last had one the morning before) and I thought she'd come around,
but no. She looks at me with sad eyes that are either saying "fix
this, " or "help me go." I can't tell which.

She's still alert, bright, cuddly, and everything, but she's not eating
and not interested. Ideas? Or is she saying it's time?

No, she's not telling you its time. She old enough where she may be losing
some her senses- the sense of smell is usually the first to to go. Try
heating up her food- heated food is more aromatic. You can also trying
laying out a smorgasbord of 5 or 10 different foods- try the Fancy Feast
marinated line they're low in phos.

Have her blood tested again. A high BUN will make her feel queasy and not
want to eat- its fairly common in cats with CRF. That would also explain
her increased drinking.

Also, speak to your vet about cyproheptadine (Periactin)- its a human
antihistamine but it suppresses satiety in cats and makes them feel hungry-
sorta like an appetite stimulant.