Cat has tremors while sleeping

Old January 24th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat has tremors while sleeping

One of my cats is about 1.5 years and has tremors/ muscle spasms
when he sleeps. When I got him he was ~7 weeks old and had been
rescued from a railyard. At first I thought it was a kitten thing
combined with dreams of the rough time he had in the rail yard. (his
mother had died over a week before he was caught)

Unfortunately the spasms have continued. They're not violent and are
limited to his legs. They also don't seem to bother him or wake him
up. I've also never noticed them while was awake. In all other ways
he's healthy, active. I meant to ask the vet but unfortunatly he had
other problems when I brought him for his shots and yearly physical
and I forgot.

Is this something I need to be worried about in the short term? Or
is he just having dreams involving running, jumping, etc. The other
cat I have has some interesting dreams which include meowing and
occasionally growling, hissing and spitting. I asked the vet about it
and was told that he was healthy and was just dreaming. Since I toss
and turn and occasionally talk in my sleep it made sense.

--

-------------------
Old January 25th 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Frank Pittel" wrote in message
One of my cats is about 1.5 years and has tremors/ muscle spasms
when he sleeps. When I got him he was ~7 weeks old and had been
rescued from a railyard. At first I thought it was a kitten thing
combined with dreams of the rough time he had in the rail yard. (his
mother had died over a week before he was caught)

I've seen several cats do that, including my own. I wouldn't worry about it
unless the spasms begin affecting the cat while awake.

Old January 25th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I agree. Your kitty is just dreaming. All my cats have done this.
Some more than others.

Old January 26th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

he's chasing birds in his sleep.

Old January 26th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
: he's chasing birds in his sleep.

Based on the results from the times he's managed to let himself out
he's not chasing birds, he's catching them. :-)

--

-------------------
Old January 26th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Frank Pittel wrote in
:

[...]

I've had 6 cats in my lifetime and most have done this, with no ill
effects.
Old January 27th 06, 05:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Bobblespin wrote:
: Frank Pittel wrote in
: :

[...]

That's what I was hoping to hear. As long as the tremors don't bother
him I won't worry about it.
--