Meds for earmite follow up

Old January 25th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Meds for earmite follow up

On the advice of this group I decided to order some medicine for my cats
earmites since the stuff I got at the pet store seemed to burn them and
mineral oil wasnt working.

I found a site that will ship to Canada, so I looked at the three options
mentioned here, but none of the write ups fro them say anything about
treating earmites in cats and I just wanted to make sure I understood
correctly before ordering.

I have 3 cats to treat, so I will need enough for all of them (and I
understand it would be done twice, for the mites now, then in a few weeks
when the eggs hatch).

The options are frontline, revolution and heartguard. I think they are all
topical things, not eardrops, right?

The website I will be using is petdrug.com

Old January 25th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Oh, and here are the links to those meds on the site

http://www.petdrug.com/cats/product/...7.5+kg%29/142/

http://www.petdrug.com/dogs/product/...3B11kg%29/112/

http://www.petdrug.com/cats/product/...een+Box%29/98/

Old January 25th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Angela St.Aubin wrote:
On the advice of this group I decided to order some medicine for my cats
earmites since the stuff I got at the pet store seemed to burn them and
mineral oil wasnt working.

I found a site that will ship to Canada, so I looked at the three options
mentioned here, but none of the write ups fro them say anything about
treating earmites in cats and I just wanted to make sure I understood
correctly before ordering.

I have 3 cats to treat, so I will need enough for all of them (and I
understand it would be done twice, for the mites now, then in a few weeks
when the eggs hatch).

The options are frontline, revolution and heartguard. I think they are all
topical things, not eardrops, right?

Frontline and Revolution are are topical, Heartguard is oral and none
of them will put a dent in earmites. You want Acarexx (eardrops),
which is available by prescription only.

-L.

Old January 25th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have to disagree with you on the Frontline not working on earmites. I
work at a spay/neuter clinic and we clean all the cats ears when they are
under. If there are mites present, they get 2 drops of Frontline in each
ear. This is followed by dry cleaning every 2-3 days. Two additional drops
of Frontline are applied. I've been doing this routine for 3 years, and I
have never seen it ot work, unless the pet partent did not follow directions
ie: cleaning and retreating.
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Old January 25th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Every problem is differnent I have had OTC work better than the
prescribtion. It all pertains to the cat and the infestiation

Old January 25th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"NMR" wrote in message
.. .
Every problem is differnent I have had OTC work better than the
prescribtion. It all pertains to the cat and the infestiation

Well I have tried an ear mite drop I got at a petstore, and it did not work,
and it really irritated the cats.
I cannot afford the vet bills right now unless it is a real emergency. I
live in a small town and dont drive, so it would cost a lot just to get them
to a vet, and I would probably have to pay for all of them to be seen.

Old January 25th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Angela St.Aubin wrote:
[...]

Seeing a vet is a last resort only.
When I asked about this before, a few people mentioned that those brands
would stop earmites, but maybe they thought I meant something else?

Old January 25th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

L wrote:

Frontline and Revolution are are
topical, Heartguard is oral and none of
them will put a dent in earmites.

This is incorrect. Revolution WILL get rid of earmites. Using eardrops
is very stressful for the cat (I treated Amber with eardrops over ten
years ago. To this day she will not sit on my lap).

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old January 25th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I suggest that you find new homes for your cats if you can't afford to
take proper care of them. I know this sounds harsh but when vet care is
needed it is the responsibility of the "slave" to provide it.

Old January 25th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I suggest that you find new homes for your cats if you can't afford to
take proper care of them. I know this sounds harsh but when vet care is
needed it is the responsibility of the "slave" to provide it.

I dont think that is very logical at all. I love my cats, they love me. I
take good care of them. They love living together. I worry about myself
becoming very sick one day or dying and thus needing to find homes for them,
because it would be very hard to find someone willing and able to take all
three and they are miserable without each other.
I give them food, litter, toys, attention, love, and all the necessary vet
treatment. If they were in danger, injured, etc, I would borrow the money to
get them seen. I am on a low income, but I am not one of those people who
think only those that are well off should have the pleasure of owning a cat,
and I think it is sad that anyone does. AS long as someone is willing and
able to care for their pet, anything extra is just that extra. Earmites are
not life threatening. Well they can be, but my cats are not that far gone.
If I thought they were in great pain or danger, I would find a way to pay
the huge vet bills. And they would be huge, as would the cost just to get
the cats to a vet. I will not bankrupt myself for earmites. You can make all
the judgements you want on that, but frankly, I dont care. I am not going to
give up my family, and separate my cats from their family because people
like you think poor people shouldn't have pets.