Cat not losing weight

Old January 25th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat not losing weight

Well, have been trying to get him to lose some weight since Xmas. On the
26th of Dec. he weighed 18.2 lbs, on the 3d of Jan. he weighed 18.6 lbs. At
that point I reduced his calorie intake to 284.5 calories a day. On the 23d
of this month he weighed 18.7 lbs. Guess I'm gonna have to make another
adjustment and see what happens. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe this cats
weight should be around 18 lbs, although the vet says his weight should be
less. If I remember correctly Phil said I could go to as low as 270 some
calories a day, please correct me if I'm wrong. I just don't want to go too
low. He is getting 4 ozs Hills xd in the morning, 2.8 ozs in the late
afternoon, and 1/2 oz xd dry about 6 pm. Geez, he pesters the hell out of me
till he gets that dry, and eats it like he hadn't had anything for two days,
then off to bed. Won't see anything of him now until I go in and boot him
out when I go to bed. Nothin like being owned by a d**mn cat.

--
Paul O.
My sig line is my disclaimer to any advice given

Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats
Learning more every day, but still clueless

Old January 25th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paul O." wrote in message
t...
Well, have been trying to get him to lose some weight since Xmas. On the
26th of Dec. he weighed 18.2 lbs, on the 3d of Jan. he weighed 18.6 lbs.

Paul--the last time you posted this I told you what worked for my cat, and
made her lose about a pound a month, maybe a little less.

If you want results, just try it. All canned, no matter how he begs. 12
hours
apart, nothing in between. And once you determine how much you are feeding
now (how much it would be if you did canned only) reduce that by 1/4.

It works. It is what my vet told me to do, and now I have an 8-9 lb cat
and not an 18-pound cat.

Old January 26th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Paul O." wrote in message
t...
Well, have been trying to get him to lose some weight since Xmas. On the
26th of Dec. he weighed 18.2 lbs, on the 3d of Jan. he weighed 18.6 lbs.

At
that point I reduced his calorie intake to 284.5 calories a day. On the

23d
of this month he weighed 18.7 lbs. Guess I'm gonna have to make another
adjustment and see what happens. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe this

cats
weight should be around 18 lbs, although the vet says his weight should be
less. If I remember correctly Phil said I could go to as low as 270 some
calories a day, please correct me if I'm wrong.

His daily energy requirement (DER) may be less than 45 kcals/kg/day (20
kcals/lb). I've found this to be the case in a lot of cats. Either the
caloric content estimate of many cats foods are erroneously low or the
estimated DER for cats is erroneously high because a 25% reduction in
caloric intake just doesn't seem to work in some cats. I've come across cats
that needed only about 50% of their calculated DER and others that needed
more than 50%. :-/ Some cats seem to do better on caloric intakes that are
closer to their basal energy needs than their maintenance needs-- they
probably just have different metabolisms. Some neutered, obese-prone cats
probably have a DER of about 35-40 kcals/kg/day of their lean body mass.

You could reduce his caloric intake by more than 25%, but then you could run
into three problems. The first problem is malnutrition. Remember, when you
decrease caloric intake all the other nutrients are decreased
proportionately
as well. Most maintenance diets contain an excess of most nutrients as a
safety margin-so, a mild reduction in caloric intake isn't a problem. But
sometimes the reduction in calories needed to lose weight can exceed the
build-in safety margin of the diet and can result in malnutrition- or at
least a deficiency in some essential nutrients. The second problem with
greater caloric restriction is a greater loss of lean body mass to fat loss.
The third problem is obviously the risk of hepatic lipidosis.

There's another weight loss program that I use for "difficult losers"
(cat's- not owners) but I don't broadcast it because I don't want anyone
trying it without the supervision of a vet. If you're interested, email me
for the details.

I just don't want to go too
low. He is getting 4 ozs Hills xd in the morning, 2.8 ozs in the late
afternoon, and 1/2 oz xd dry about 6 pm.

Is that by weight or volume? An 8 oz. cup of x/d dry weighs about 3 oz. and
contains 288 kcals. A 5.5 oz (156 g) (weight) can contains 187 kcals -34
kcals/oz.

Geez, he pesters the hell out of me
till he gets that dry, and eats it like he hadn't had anything for two

days,
then off to bed.

If you're feeding him a combination of canned and dry, buy one of those pet
plastic pet food containers and put the bag inside the container (leave the
food in the bag and seal it with a bag clip) so he can't smell the food.
The bag isn't enough to keep him from smelling the food. If he can smell
the food and knows its there- he'll keep bugging you for you--- then when
you finally give it to him, you're reinforcing the behavior.

Won't see anything of him now until I go in and boot him
out when I go to bed. Nothin like being owned by a d**mn cat.

Now you know why they say "Dogs have masters- Cats have staff!

Good luck,

Phil

Old January 27th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message
k.net...

"Paul O." wrote in message
t...
Well, have been trying to get him to lose some weight since Xmas. On the
26th of Dec. he weighed 18.2 lbs, on the 3d of Jan. he weighed 18.6 lbs.

At
that point I reduced his calorie intake to 284.5 calories a day. On the

23d
of this month he weighed 18.7 lbs.

There's another weight loss program that I use for "difficult losers"

(cat's- not owners) but I don't broadcast it because I don't want anyone
trying it without the supervision of a vet. If you're interested, email
me
for the details.

** I am taking him to the vet next month for bloodwork and urnalisys to
see how he's doing there and will talk to the vet about his weight, then
decide what to do from there.

I just don't want to go too
low. He is getting 4 ozs Hills xd in the morning, 2.8 ozs in the late
afternoon, and 1/2 oz xd dry about 6 pm.

Is that by weight or volume? An 8 oz. cup of x/d dry weighs about 3 oz.
and
contains 288 kcals. A 5.5 oz (156 g) (weight) can contains 187 kcals -34
kcals/oz.

** I went by the info on Hills web site for the calories of the canned and
dry then figured it out for calories per oz.

Thanks Phil

Paul O.