getting Sasha to eat

Old January 29th 06, 07:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default getting Sasha to eat

Sasha is doing well and he blood work on Thursday showed her BUN to be
down to 53. Dr and I both were very happy to see that. He reduced her
fluids to 100ml every other day and after this bag is finished I am
bringing her in for another test to see how she did with the lower
amount. He emphasized that we now need to get her to put on at least a
pound by her next visit. He doesn't feel that she is wasting away or
anything but each time he has checked her weight it has been down.
Right now she is at 8.8lbs. I have been sitting with her feeding her
myself by putting her nuggets on the floor (she likes to eat off the
floor. She picks each nugget out of the bowl onto the floor anyway)
and she will usually eat a little bit more. She is eating something on
her own just not enough. She is probably getting 1/4 of a cup down on
her own. She is eating the science diet dry and she will not touch the
wet. I asked about adding an appetite stimulant or the kitty zantac
because I did read about that but he said for now try it without
those. He said she should not need it since her urea (or whatever it
called) was low. Its really frustrating.
Old January 29th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

meow wrote:
[...]

If she's not eating enough on her own - & 1/4 C. per day isn't enough -
to maintaIn her present weight, or put some lost weight back on,
then... seems to me she needs some help.

Besides the possibility of the vet agreeing to prescribe an appetite
stimulant such as cyproheptadine (Periactin), you could also try
feeding her Hills a/d. It's one of their prescription diets - a wet
food that's calorie packed, & usually very palatable as far as cats are
concerned. When I've used it in the past for a cat who needed some
nutritional help, my other cats came around wanting some, too. (It also
happens to be of a very fine coinsistency so that it can be syringe fed
if necessary, for animals who *really* aren't eating on thjeir own.)
It comes in medium sized cans, & is available only at the vet's. OTOH,
you probably wouldn't need the vet's permission to feed it to her;
could try just asking for "x" amount of cans of a/d at the front desk.

Cathy

Old January 30th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 29 Jan 2006 14:55:54 -0800, wrote:

meow wrote:
[...]

I am not sure if that would be good for her. I forgot to say that its
the science diet k/d formula because she has CRF.

Sasha is home meow Cat anecdotes 8 January 20th 06 07:41 PM
Sasha is home meow Cat health & behaviour 2 January 20th 06 05:07 PM
Update on Sasha meow Cat anecdotes 16 January 13th 06 10:31 AM
Purrs needed for Sasha meow Cat anecdotes 23 January 12th 06 03:32 AM
Purrs needed for Sasha meow Cat health & behaviour 4 January 11th 06 06:45 PM