Cat in a bag

Old January 30th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat in a bag

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:
"Beth" wrote
http://i1.tinypic.com/mkvtiq.jpg

Uhm...from the look on your cat's face, it's not too happy about

being
in the bag. I can't decide if its eyes look sleepy or upset.

Beth, the cat's inner eyelid is showing, which nearly always means
dehydration and usually some sort of illness. This is the freak who

enjoys
watching his cats kill mice etc. that he posts photos of the dead

animals.
He's an asshole--and now we know that he is an asshole who does not take
care of his cats.

To the asshole: your cat needs to see a vet. Her inner eyelid is

showing.

This is the most ridiculous thing you have ever posted. Cats' "inner
eyelids", called the nictating membrane, also show when they are in a
half-sleep, drowsy state, or when they have been snoozing and/or are
content. An apparent nictating membrane is only a sign of illness
when it shows continually.

Nonsense. As usual you have no idea what you are talking about.
It is a sign that something is not right.

We'll leave it to the vets. Ladies and gentlemen?

http://i1.tinypic.com/mkvtiq.jpg

Old January 30th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Nictating membranes (P-ing Hillary and other DVMs- was: cat in a bag)

Please pardon the intrusion, but cyberdingbat here needs some info on
cats' nictating membranes...

cybercat wrote:
Nonsense. As usual you have no idea what you are talking about.
It is a sign that something is not right.

Not always. Do a simple search on "nictating membrane" and you will
see I am right. The nictating membrane sometimes shows when the cat is
drowsy and/or content. It is not always a sign of illness.

It *can be* a sign of illness if it remains exposed, however.

We'll leave it to the vets. Ladies and gentlemen?

http://i1.tinypic.com/mkvtiq.jpg

Go ahead and ask a vet - they will agree with me. Oh, I see you
x-posted this to alt.vet.med. Good - I hope someone answers the
question.

-L.

Old January 30th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Please pardon the intrusion, but cyberdingbat here needs some info on
cats' nictating membranes...

An on-topic question about a photo in which a cat's third eyelid is
showing when it should not be is not an intrusion you half-witted,
lard-assed harridan.

cybercat wrote:
Nonsense. As usual you have no idea what you are talking about.
It is a sign that something is not right.

Not always. Do a simple search on "nictating membrane" and you will
see I am right. The nictating membrane sometimes shows when the cat is
drowsy and/or content. It is not always a sign of illness.

It *can be* a sign of illness if it remains exposed, however.

I have never seen it in any of my cats, and the cat in the picture is far
from drowsy or content, he is being suspended in a garbage bag.

But, again, let's let your New Best Friends "Hillary" etc. answer.
*snicker*

Old January 30th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
Please pardon the intrusion, but cyberdingbat here needs some info on
cats' nictating membranes...

An on-topic question about a photo in which a cat's third eyelid is
showing when it should not be is not an intrusion you half-witted,
lard-assed harridan.

Showing everyone your charm, once again, I see. The cat's nictating
membrane *could* easily be showing as she just was awaken from a nap.

cybercat wrote:
Nonsense. As usual you have no idea what you are talking about.
It is a sign that something is not right.

Not always. Do a simple search on "nictating membrane" and you will
see I am right. The nictating membrane sometimes shows when the cat is
drowsy and/or content. It is not always a sign of illness.

It *can be* a sign of illness if it remains exposed, however.

I have never seen it in any of my cats, and the cat in the picture is far
from drowsy or content, he is being suspended in a garbage bag.

The cat in the picture is not "suspended" in a bag at all but, in fact,
was *sleeping* on clothing in the bag, according to the OP. Ref:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...b?dmode=source

Furthermore, she looks completely content.

If you have never seen your cats' nictating membranes you must not
spend very much time with your cats. When a cat is sleepy or content,
they often will open their eyes and the nictating membrane will be
showing for a little bit. I am sure many other posters here have seen
their cats nictating membranes when their cats are drowsy. My cat
does it when she kneads on soft clothing. She also drools. (But In
your world that MUST be a sign of POISONING! Ack!!! - get her to the
ER quick!!!)

But, again, let's let your New Best Friends "Hillary" etc. answer.
*snicker*

Hillary Israeli, DVM is a known Usenet entity. She is a DVM in Philly
and a "sometimes" poster to alt.med.vet. I have no association with
her other than I know she posts there infrequently. You can Google her
and see she is indeed a board-certified vet. There are other vets
around who post there, as well. I am sure one of them can enlighten
you, since you are too pig-headed to put away your biases long enough
to learn something.

BTW, your friend Candace said essentially the same thing I did in a

"Yes, cats have a nictating membrane or third eyelid as it is commonly
called.
Some cats have a little of it visible at all times (my experience is
that
round-eyed cats have it less visible than almond-shaped eye cats) and
it is
frequently visible when they have just woken up or are very sleepy.
But if it
remains visible and starts to cover more than just the inside corner of
their
eyes, it is generally an indication that they are ill." Ref:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...3?dmode=source

But of course, if she had replied to your comment instead of me, this
debate wouldn't be occurring.

-L.
(shaking head)

Old January 30th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

My furry fat friend's rabid comments aside, it would be good to have the
input of a vet on this.

I am not the only one who thinks that when you can see the third eyelid
regularly/contstantly that it is a sign that there may be a health problem.

Old January 30th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

My furry fat friend's rabid comments aside, it would be good to have the
input of a vet on this.

I am not the only one who thinks that when you can see the third eyelid
regularly/contstantly that it is a sign that there may be a health problem.

Now you are changing your story. What did you do - finally Google the
phrase like I told you to do 10 posts ago?

*I*, in fact, am the first one who said if the nictating membrane
*shows continually* it may be a sign of illness. You told the OP that
his cat's nictating membranes were showing and so she was sick and
needed to be seen by a vet. You cannot backpedal now, asshole. You
have been caught doleing out the *wrong* infromation, and now are
trying to squeak out of it. No way - the thread is extremely clear.

Here is the original thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...afd125b1bd6039

Here is your original post:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.p...5?dmode=source

This is a direct quote from you:

"Beth, the cat's inner eyelid is showing, which nearly always means
dehydration and usually some sort of illness. This is the freak who
enjoys
watching his cats kill mice etc. that he posts photos of the dead
animals.
He's an asshole--and now we know that he is an asshole who does not
take
care of his cats.

To the asshole: your cat needs to see a vet. Her inner eyelid is
showing.
Maybe you could take her to the vet instead of photographing her in
stupid
and potentially dangerous situations. Asshole."

You clearly state "your cat needs to see a vet. Her inner eyelid is
showing."

My reply to you was this:

"This is the most ridiculous thing you have ever posted. Cats' "inner
eyelids", called the nictating membrane, also show when they are in a
half-sleep, drowsy state, or when they have been snoozing and/or are
content. An apparent nictating membrane is only a sign of illness
when it shows continually. "

To which you replied:

"Nonsense. As usual you have no idea what you are talking about.
It is a sign that something is not right."

We'll leave it to the vets. Ladies and gentlemen?

http://i1.tinypic.com/mkvtiq.jpg"

You clearly were supporting the stance that the OP needed to take his
cat to a vet because the inner eyelid was showing and that "it is a
sign that something is not right."

Now you are trying to change your story because you know you were
WRONG. No way, Nancy. No one here is that stupid.

Or are you NOW willing to admit that a cat's nictating membran *can*
be showing when it is in a sleepy, drowsy or content state?

-L.

Old January 30th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

cybercat wrote:
"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

My furry fat friend's rabid comments aside, it would be good to have the
input of a vet on this.

I am not the only one who thinks that when you can see the third eyelid
regularly/contstantly that it is a sign that there may be a health

problem.

Now you are changing your story. What did you do - finally Google the
phrase like I told you to do 10 posts ago?

Down, my fuzzy little stalker pit bull. I did not read that post. Are you
surprised? Your posts rarely interest me, because you are an asshole.

This is a good question for the vets. They are here to disseminate
information, not to bolster their understandably shaky sense of self
esteem, as you are.

Old January 30th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:

Down, my fuzzy little stalker pit bull. I did not read that post. Are you
surprised? Your posts rarely interest me, because you are an asshole.

You are lying because you have responded to every post I have made in
this thread. Or are you saying that you respond eventhough you do not
read the post? If that is the case, then it figures - you very often
go off half-cocked with the wrong information.

This is a good question for the vets. They are here to disseminate
information, not to bolster their understandably shaky sense of self
esteem, as you are.

I have no problem with self esteem. What I do have a problem with are
morons like you disseminating incorrect information. Answer the
question, Nancy: Are you NOW willing to admit that a cat's nictating

Old January 30th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Nictating membranes

http://www.petcat.us/root_copy/questions.shtml

Sometimes, however, if your cat is very sleepy, and very happy, they will
sometimes show this membrane.

http://cats.about.com/cs/resources/g/nictating.htm
Nictating Membrane"
Glossary

Definition: Noun. An inner, third eyelid, which serves to protect the eye
from dryness and/or damage. When a cat is sick, the third eyelid will
partially close, which is a signal to get him to the vet immediately,
especially if other symptoms are present. Curiously enough, a very happy,
drowsy, cat will sometimes show that nictating membrane.

http://cats.about.com/cs/eyesvision/a/cats_eyes.htm

The "Third Eyelid"

Cats have an inner, third eyelid, called a nictating membrane, which serves
to protect the eye from dryness and/or damage. When a cat is sick, the third
eyelid will partially close, which is a signal to get him to the vet
immediately if other symptoms present. Curiously enough, a very happy cat
will also show that nictating membrane.

eye problems in cats

http://cats.about.com/od/eyeproblemsandblindness/

Old January 30th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

NMR wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Matthew. Maybe she will listen to you, since she sure as
hell won't put her baggage away long enough to learn something from me.

-L.