Herpes in Cat's Eye Question

Old January 30th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Herpes in Cat's Eye Question

Pardon if this is a stupid question (also pardon, but this is crossposted
for the most coverage - I really need info on this), but.....

How contagious is herpes in a cat's eye? What degree of contact would it
take to pass this from one cat to another? Is this virus the same as or
related to the human herpes virus (or the Epstein-Barr virus*)? Is it
possible to transfer this from cat to human or human to cat?

Manifestations of the Epstein-Barr virus in humans a Chicken Pox,
Mononucleosis, Shingles, Cold Sores, Genital Herpes (have I missed any?).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 30th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

CatNipped wrote:
Pardon if this is a stupid question (also pardon, but this is crossposted
for the most coverage - I really need info on this), but.....

How contagious is herpes in a cat's eye? What degree of contact would it
take to pass this from one cat to another? Is this virus the same as or
related to the human herpes virus (or the Epstein-Barr virus*)? Is it
possible to transfer this from cat to human or human to cat?

Manifestations of the Epstein-Barr virus in humans a Chicken Pox,
Mononucleosis, Shingles, Cold Sores, Genital Herpes (have I missed any?).

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

I can only offer this anecdotal evidence, but Boots has herpes that
manifests itself from time to time with sneezing and eye infections.
None of the other cats has it, or any symptoms, ever. But I do hear
that it runs rampant in shelters, so it would stand to reason it must
be contagious.
I do know that L-Lysine definitely helps her NOT have outbreaks.

Old January 31st 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:11:37 -0500, "Wendy"
wrote:

I don't think Epstein-Barr has anything to do with Chicken Pox or Shingles
which are both caused by the same virus, varicella zoster.

EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus) indeed doesn't have anything to do with
Chicken Pox or Shingles; I've worked with it for years in tissue
culture.

It's main manifestation is mononucleosis. It doesn't cross the species
barrier to cats.
Old January 31st 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:

I don't think Epstein-Barr has anything to do with Chicken Pox or Shingles
which are both caused by the same virus, varicella zoster.

EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus) indeed doesn't have anything to do with
Chicken Pox or Shingles; I've worked with it for years in tissue
culture.

It's main manifestation is mononucleosis. It doesn't cross the species
barrier to cats.

Thanks Wendy and Gandalf.

Another question - even if they're not all Epstein-Barr, aren't all of these
manifestations a variation of the herpes virus? I always thought that
chicken pox, infectious mononucleosis, cold sores, and shingles were all
part of the same virus.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 31st 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:

I don't think Epstein-Barr has anything to do with Chicken Pox or Shingles
which are both caused by the same virus, varicella zoster.

EBV (Epstein-Barr Virus) indeed doesn't have anything to do with
Chicken Pox or Shingles; I've worked with it for years in tissue
culture.

It's main manifestation is mononucleosis. It doesn't cross the species
barrier to cats.

Thanks Wendy and Gandalf.

Another question - even if they're not all Epstein-Barr, aren't all of these
manifestations a variation of the herpes virus? I always thought that
chicken pox, infectious mononucleosis, cold sores, and shingles were all
part of the same virus.

Yes, Epstein Barr is a member of the herpes 'family' of viruses. but it
doesn't infect people the way may other members of the herpes family of
viruses do, and has nothing to do with shingles or chicken pox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epstein-Barr_virus

Old January 31st 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

CatNipped wrote:
Pardon if this is a stupid question (also pardon, but this is crossposted
for the most coverage - I really need info on this), but.....

How contagious is herpes in a cat's eye?

Very

What degree of contact would it
take to pass this from one cat to another?

Discharge or secretions into the mucus membranes. IOW, "wet" virus
transfer.

Is this virus the same as or
related to the human herpes virus (or the Epstein-Barr virus*)? Is it
possible to transfer this from cat to human or human to cat?

It is Feline Herpes-1 virus that causes conjunctivitis in cats. It is
not the same as the human virus and will not affect humans.

Manifestations of the Epstein-Barr virus in humans a Chicken Pox,
Mononucleosis, Shingles, Cold Sores, Genital Herpes (have I missed any?).

CP and Shingles is Varicella zoster, Mono is Epstein Barr or
cytomegalovirus (many times misdiagnosed as EB), cold sores and genital
herpes are Herpes Simplex virus 1 or 2 (both can affect any body part).
Herpes simplex class viruses are most closely related to feline
herpes. IIRC, both are single-stranded viruses and reside in terminal
nerve ganglia and become latent.

Cats with corneal ulcers, conjunctivitis and other eye conditions such
as keratitis may actually have Bartonella, so be sure the cat is tested
for this as well.

-L.

Old January 31st 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Great information, Lyn, thanks!

It's Demi I was worried about - but I think all she has is some "sleep" in
the corner of her eye that is dark brown (which shows up starkly on her
white and pink face) and has persisted for a week. It didn't look bad
enough for a vet visit, and it's drying up now. She never did get any mucus
or redness on the eye itself - it was just crust on the inside corner of the
eye (on the skin below the tear duct, not the eye itself).

Here are some pictures of it as it is this morning:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/demi_eye/

Demi's never been outside, but Jessie escapes for a few minutes at a time
every once in a while and one of the strays I feed outside has a bad case
of what looks to me like herpes in her eye. The other transmission angle I
was looking at is the fact that, starting at age 2, I had severe chicken
pox, severe mono (I was one of the rare cases that even had the rash with
it), shingles, and cold sores. I am obviously harboring the virus and am,
myself, severely immunocompromised. I didn't know if humans could "shed"
the virus and cats pick it up in wet tissue.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old January 31st 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

CatNipped wrote:
Great information, Lyn, thanks!

It's Demi I was worried about - but I think all she has is some "sleep" in
the corner of her eye that is dark brown (which shows up starkly on her
white and pink face) and has persisted for a week. It didn't look bad
enough for a vet visit, and it's drying up now. She never did get any mucus
or redness on the eye itself - it was just crust on the inside corner of the
eye (on the skin below the tear duct, not the eye itself).

Here are some pictures of it as it is this morning:
http://www.possibleplaces.com/demi_eye/

That looks more like common eye infection to me. if it is clearing up,
I wouldn't worry about it but if it persists, see the vet.

Demi's never been outside, but Jessie escapes for a few minutes at a time
every once in a while and one of the strays I feed outside has a bad case
of what looks to me like herpes in her eye. The other transmission angle I
was looking at is the fact that, starting at age 2, I had severe chicken
pox, severe mono (I was one of the rare cases that even had the rash with
it), shingles, and cold sores. I am obviously harboring the virus and am,
myself, severely immunocompromised. I didn't know if humans could "shed"
the virus and cats pick it up in wet tissue.

Nah. You really can't transfer a disease to your cats. I once was
convinced I gave my cats a rhinovirus whichis a possibility but I don't
think a case of human to cat transmission has ever been documented.

If you have a stray with corneal ulcers or conjunctivitis which you
think may be herpes, I would be inclined to trap it and take it to the
HS. I know the chances of it being euthanized are high, but I think
its better to keep the disease from spreading among the wild
population. It's a nasty disease.

We once got a kitten surrendered who was stuck in a fence - maybe 5
weeks old, max. Poor little thing had an eyeball that was so infected
with herpes that it was absolutley grotesque. He had to have caught it
from Momma cat. I felt so bad for him I sponsored him until he could
be placed. Eventually we removed the eyeball and placed the little
guy, and he did fine afterward. It's just such a gruesome disease.
That's one of the cases that will always stick with me and I think it
is because of the severity of his infection. Well, that and he was
cute, fuzzy piebald bluepoint siamese with a pathetic mew that melted
your heart.

-L.

Old January 31st 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

AHHhh, so much easier to see in the white kitty than the black
kitty.....
here's the pics of our kitty koko :
http://richandlaurie.com/gallery/thu...s.php?album=33

koko DID have corneal ulcers at one point ,
but at her last exam there was no evidence of scarring, so somehow
they miraculously healed...... yipeee, I didn't know that they would
ever
heal to the point that they totally disappeared. She was treated with
azythromycin -
2 courses of 25 days, hoping that if the constant problems were
bartonella - they would
clear after the standard (one course) and then not so standard adding
another course) treatment.

Now we are at the point of stopping ALL the herpes meds for 2-3 weeks,
and biting the
bullet ($$$) for the testing.... they will test for herpes and
bartonella, and whatever else they do...
we were hoping by treating that we could discover which treatment
worked, but she always
has the eye discharge........ even while on the herpes meds.

you might remember the saga of kady and koko
kady was the tiny wee one who followed the doggy gabby home...
its impossible to keep 2 kitties apart, so we just figured that if kady
got sick too with herpes
then we would just have 2 cats to treat not one.
Seems that kady's immune system is just stronger perhaps, cuz she is
fine.
No eye infections and no discharge....... so far (knock on wood)
A few days ago I posted pics on abpa, of course some idiot has gone
nutso on the group and
is posting 2000 pics a day of NON cats....
I have not been keeping up with posting new pics on our website,
if u want to see more of kady and koko, I will post a few more over
there.

Hope kitty's eyes heal quickly... for koko, i dampen a paper towel,
break into smaller pieces,
and gently swab underneath her eyes, without actually rubbing the eye
itself..... she really doesnt
mind at all - I think it feels good to her to get the dried out crusties
off her face.

laurie
www.richandlaurie.com

rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 December 19th 05 05:35 AM
Little Known English Cat Breeds Muttley Cats - misc 1 December 11th 05 10:43 AM
performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Norwegian Forest Cat Breed-FAQ Bjorn Steensrud Cat Information 0 November 28th 04 05:16 AM