10 year old female cat urination question.

Old February 2nd 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default 10 year old female cat urination question.

I have a 10 year old female persian cat. A few months ago, she has
adopted a new littter box habit. She places her front paws in the box,
her hind paws on the edge of the box, and she squats and urinates
outside the box. Urinary tract infection/cystits has been ruled out.
I have bought a new box since this behavior began. She does use the
box to defecate. I have attempted "Litterbox 101" with her, by placing
her in the box when I catch her during the act, by placing her in the
box where she finshes her business and I offer her praise and a treat.
I have also tried keeping her in close quarters (the bathroom) with her
pillow, toys, food, bed and litterbox in hopes that she would not want
to pee in her "home" - that technique was effective for a week, then
she started urinating outside the box the way she had been. Any
suggestions on how to correct this problem?

Old February 2nd 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

nadoja wrote:

I have a 10 year old female persian cat. A few months ago, she has
adopted a new littter box habit. She places her front paws in the
box, her hind paws on the edge of the box, and she squats and urinates
outside the box. Urinary tract infection/cystits has been ruled out.
I have bought a new box since this behavior began. She does use the
box to defecate. I have attempted "Litterbox 101" with her, by
placing her in the box when I catch her during the act, by placing
her in the box where she finshes her business and I offer her praise
and a treat. I have also tried keeping her in close quarters (the
bathroom) with her pillow, toys, food, bed and litterbox in hopes
that she would not want to pee in her "home" - that technique was
effective for a week, then she started urinating outside the box the
way she had been. Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?

Get a bigger box?

I use rubbermaid storage things for litter boxes. They're probably
24x18x12".

Also, have you ruled out arthritis in the hind end? Perhaps it's physically
difficult for her to get into the box.

Corey

Old February 2nd 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

My cat never goes in the litter box when he urinates but he stands on
the edge of the box and urinates in the box maybe your cat is doing the
same thing just doesn't know that it's missing the box?

Old February 2nd 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You might try getting a larger box. Place the present box inside of the
larger box. This way when she stands on the edge the urine will go into
the outer box.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 6th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have replaced the box once about 2 months ago. Funny thing is that
she sometimes gets in completely, and voids where she should, then
other times she is keeping her hind paws on the edge while her front
paws are inside and she voids outside the box. I even tried putting
tin foil on the edge of the box (cats are not supposed to like the
feeling of this on their feet), but it did not work. I just lowered
the height of the opening to the box so that when she stands there with
her hind legs on the edge, she does not quite fit. Hopefully this may
help. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old February 6th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have used and open box, then switched to a closed one... did not make
a difference.

Old February 6th 06, 10:16 PM
Henry cosmic_catluvr Henry cosmic_catluvr is offline
Junior Member

Location: St. Louis, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by
My cat never goes in the litter box when he urinates but he stands on the edge of the box and urinates in the box maybe your cat is doing the same thing just doesn't know that it's missing the box?
I know it's not a solution to the behavior, but if you are concerned about your floors, you might try some rubber floor mats with deep grooves that are designed to trap liquids, normally rainwater brought in from the outdoors. I've had similar problems with my elderly cats. I placed 1 or 2 of these mats where they usually peed on the floor and at least that kept the floor from being further damaged.

Henry cosmic_catluvr
St. Louis, MO
Old February 7th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Henry cosmic_catluvr wrote:

I know it's not a solution to the behavior, but if you are concerned
about your floors, you might try some rubber floor mats with deep
grooves that are designed to trap liquids, normally rainwater brought
in from the outdoors. I've had similar problems with my elderly cats.
I placed 1 or 2 of these mats where they usually peed on the floor and
at least that kept the floor from being further damaged.

I've also suggested puppy training pads to a friend with a similar cat
problem. They're not expensive, trap urine well, and are disposible.

Corey

HELP QUESTION Web 413 Cat anecdotes 1 February 23rd 04 02:00 AM
question potential for adopting - longish OU812? Cat anecdotes 12 August 19th 03 10:35 AM