What age is geriatric?

Old February 2nd 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default What age is geriatric?

At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old
that I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking
though, it might be time for senior blood tests.

Rhonda

Old February 2nd 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 06:03:49 GMT, Rhonda
wrote:

At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old
that I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking
though, it might be time for senior blood tests.

Rhonda

Some of my cats who are nearly 10-11 are far more active and curious
than the others who are half that age.

Perry
Old February 2nd 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rhonda" wrote in message
At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old
that I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking
though, it might be time for senior blood tests.

I think ten is a fair age to consider a cat "geriatric."

I was in denial of any such thing with my first cat, though.

We just don't like to think they are getting old.

Old February 2nd 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rhonda wrote:
At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old
that I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking
though, it might be time for senior blood tests.

Rhonda

Depends on the clinic. At the feline specialty vet where I worked, we
didn't reccomend geriatric panel until age 12, unless the guardian
requested it. Many cats live past 15 - quite a few 20 or more.

-L.

Old February 2nd 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

cybercat wrote:
"Rhonda" wrote in message
At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old
that I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking
though, it might be time for senior blood tests.

I think ten is a fair age to consider a cat "geriatric."

I was in denial of any such thing with my first cat, though.

We just don't like to think they are getting old.

I have to agree. I certainly haven't considered any of my 10 year old
cats to be geriatric, but after Maynard developed symptoms so suddenly
for liver failure, I have to review my thoughts of that. I may still
think of them as healthy and young, but I think I would feel better
getting the tests done.

With Maynard, I did have bloodwork done the year before, and things
were fine, but at age 18, I should have been doing it more often. At
least twice a year. His lliver values were so off the chart that the
bloodwork probably would have given us clues much sooner, and we could
have extended his life. As it was, he didn't lose his appetite and act
sick until after I took him to the vet. I was actually planning his
19th birthday party the night before since I was going to be at a cat
show as a vendor on his birthday in two weeks. I figured I would put up
a collage of photos and have a cake. I had no clue that he was even
sick. He seemed so normal. Then I saw his yellow ears. I figured he was
down to his last few months, and I would need to give him medication. I
did not realize until the vet looked at him that I was down to my last
3 days with him.

Kira is 11 and seems healthy enough, but I am going to do the senior
panel at the next checkup. I don't expect to find anything, but I will
feel better knowing that I am checking, and hopefully when something
does come up, there will be time to treat it.

Old February 2nd 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rhonda wrote:

At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old
that I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking
though, it might be time for senior blood tests.

According to a box of dried food I read once 8 is senior. I looked down
at Isis and said "You're an old lady now" but she was too busy chasing
her tail to notice....Since she lived to be over 16 from what it said
on that box, she spent over half her life as a senior but she was still
playful until a few days before she died

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old February 2nd 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Rhonda wrote:
At what age would you call a cat a senior cat?
Rhonda

I know what you mean, I am crazy about my kitten...
(she's getting bigger, she's getting longer and lunkier)
and meaner too! but sweeter to offset the meaness

as for me personally, Im not going to "die"

im just going to nasty away

Old February 2nd 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Lesley wrote:
Rhonda wrote:

At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old
that I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking
though, it might be time for senior blood tests.

According to a box of dried food I read once 8 is senior. I looked down
at Isis and said "You're an old lady now" but she was too busy chasing
her tail to notice....Since she lived to be over 16 from what it said
on that box, she spent over half her life as a senior but she was still
playful until a few days before she died

I actually tried Royal Canin food (more expensive than I was used to
paying) because the package said a senior was 15+. Finally, a cat food
maker that knows what a senior cat is. And they add glucosamine to the
food and actually do something for a senior.

I got a couple sample packets from the representitive at the cat show.
Tried it with Maynard who was 18. He perked up. I knew he had
arthtritis, and had been giving him glucoasmine which helped, but he
got tired of the fish flavored tablets and wouldn't eat them every day.
With the new kibble, I could see him walking faster, sometimes
trotting, and taking the stairs better. The sample ran out, and he
slowed down. I bought a bag of the food and he was better again. I was
really impressed.

They have changed the senior food to two types of "mature" - active and
indoor. Basically for more active older cats and less active older
cats. Both have glucosamine. Kira is only 11, but I decided to put her
on the active mature. Rather than wait for her to be obvious in slowing
down, I'd like to know that she is getting the extras for seniors.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Rhonda" wrote in message
At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old that
I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking though, it
might be time for senior blood tests.

Rhonda

Well, I have a 16-year-old who claims she's still a spring chicken! ;

Seriously, I don't think there's a magic number, I think it depends on the
individual cat. But 10 years old would be a good time for a senior
chick-up.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 2nd 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Rhonda" wrote in message
At what age would you call a cat a senior cat? We have a 10 year old

that
I'd love to continue to think of as a kitten. I was thinking though, it
might be time for senior blood tests.

Rhonda

Well, I have a 16-year-old who claims she's still a spring chicken! ;

Seriously, I don't think there's a magic number, I think it depends on the
individual cat. But 10 years old would be a good time for a senior
chick-up.

I agree. But I remember being in deep denial that my first cat was getting
old.
She was 18 years old and I felt a little twinge of resentment when we walked
in to a new vet's office and he said, "Oh, my, we have a senior citizen
here!"
To me she looked the same as ever, because I looked at her every day.
But now, looking at pictures, I can see that she really had changed over
time.
We just don't want them to get old because we know what happens after that.