Long (very) road trip with wild cat and tame cat

Old February 3rd 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Long (very) road trip with wild cat and tame cat

Hi,

I may be needing to move from Tennessee to Vegas and taking 2 cats
there.

I have a wild cat who won't let me pet him and a tame cat that I can
pet.

A. I may drive. Was wondering how I might go about transporting the
cats. They will definitely need to use the bathroom on the way.
Any suggestions? I was thinking I need a really big cat carrier that
could also store a litter box but would appreciate any feed back or
suggestiions.

I'll probably drive 10 to 12 hours a day and stop at hotel during the
night.

B. Any other suggestions on how to transport the cats?

Thanks a lot!

Old February 3rd 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

I may be needing to move from Tennessee to Vegas and taking 2 cats
there.

I have a wild cat who won't let me pet him and a tame cat that I can
pet.

A. I may drive. Was wondering how I might go about transporting the
cats. They will definitely need to use the bathroom on the way.
Any suggestions? I was thinking I need a really big cat carrier that
could also store a litter box but would appreciate any feed back or
suggestiions.

you can use large cage as transporting dog so they have room with the litter
box. When you get to hotel unload everything first be ready for some
freak out if you let them out make sure you have everything you need
before letting them out once that door opens it is free game. Place a box
in the room show them where it is by placing when in it like you did when
they where kittens

Depending on their mood you may want to leave them in the carrier Personally
I would since it is only one night

People might recommend sedation but IMO any unnecessary medication usage is
never an option specially if they have never had any but there are OTC
products to use that will help calm them down Talk to your vet about this
they and you know cat the best

If you can afford it you may want to look in to a pet transportation service
if one is available in your area
or if you have a friend you can trust you may want to see about flying them
to Vegas when you arrive in Vegas it is couple hour flight compared to
almost 20 plus hours in a car with all the stress Either way it is going
to be an experience

Old February 4th 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I took an 8 hr drive with my cats, I had a fairly big box, but not large
enough for them & a litterbox... My solution was to use highway rest stop
bathrooms... I'd stop at ones that were empty, bring the litter box & the
cats into the can, lock the door & let them out of the cage to do their biz.
This also helped relieve their driving stress, as they got a couple of
breaks on the trip.
Hope this helps.

--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old February 5th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have moved several times across the country with multiple cats and
here are some suggestions:

1. If you want it done right, do it yourself. Do not travel alone,
get a helper, I personally had my parents make my cross country trip
with me to help me.
Traveling with pets is mentally fatiguing and stressfull because you
have to constantly think of them and you will need help - driving is
tiring, get a helper! If someone else can drive then you can be there
to help your kitties. Your helper needs to be someone very trustworthy
and responsible.

THank goodness you are taking your cats and not dumping them at the
shelter as many people do prior to moving!

2. Invest in very sturdy wired dog crates, you can put your cats
inside of these crates, and for the feral ones - DO NOT let the cat out
of the dog crate until the completion of your trip. Get towels to
cover crates but make sure there is still adequate ventilation, get
soft bedding and small dishes for feeding.

3. Plan your route well - don't leave it up to guessing - check AAA
for road conditions etc. Make sure car is in tip-top shape and plan on
eating a lot of drive through meals and hotel room service meals.
Carry a cell phone and pay the money to have the AAA emergency road
service for flat tires etc....

Other suggestions/advice/thoughts:

1. Litterbox - Get a small size one and use disposable litter - NOT
clumping. CLumping makes a tremendous mess in car! I used clay
because it is cheap and easy to dump. If using a dog crate there is
room for litter box in the crate but they do not use it when car is
moving - they are too scared. Sometimes they will actually get into
the litterbox - so I actually put towels in crate and did not put
litter box into crate unless car was not moving such as at a rest stop
or something. Always use extreme caution when opening or closing door
of crate - only open crate when you are inside of the car and the doors
of the car are closed to prevent accidental cat escape.

2. Get a dropper and bottled water. Be prepared to give your cat
little "squirts" of water through out the day (not too much though-do
not want to make kitties bladder too full) Be advised, that kitty will
likely not EAT nor DRINK while driving - only until driving ceases and
things settle will kitty consider eating etc....Most cats will not use
litter box en route....MIne did not and I transported 10
simultaneaously in a large SUV from British Columbia to Atlanta. They
will, however, occasionally use it when you stop for a few minutes -
such as long 30 minute rest stop or something?

3. I took my cats into pet friendly hotels (there are many - check
internet). Be advised that for many hotels the pet rooms are also the
smoking rooms (very smelly!) On some occasions, I just left my cats
in the dog crate in the car overnight. When I traveled it was not too
cold or hot and it was better for them then putting them into the hotel
because it was just too much trauma for them. I only left them in the
car if I felt I was in a safe area and where I could keep an eye on my
car -this was only for my ferals - not my domestics. To attract less
attention, I covered crate with towel so as not to draw unnecessary
attention to cats in car.

Most of my cats, however, went into the hotel, and I put them in the
bathroom to prevent any chances of them escaping. If cats like each
other consider keeping them in one large crate together so they can
snuggle, while in route.

4. Talk to your vet about using sedatives, this depends greatly on the
health of the cat etc...I used ACe for some of my cats but there are
risks with this - ask your Vet. Benedryl is also an option but please
check with vet for proper dosage - and makes cats have dry mouth. Some
people use rescue remedy.

5. Cats will occassionally meow a lot when you first take off driving,
this is to be expected and will stop eventually.

6. Get multiple forms of id on your cats....Microchip and cat collar
with tag and phone number information. Keep your health documents
handy incase you are asked to verify vaccines etc. I used an
interstate USDA traval certificate.

7. Travel light for yourself. I wore old clothes and just threw them
away at the end of each day so that my load was lighter each day. My
trip took about 7 days total.

8. At hotels use the "do not disturb" sign on your door to avoid
someone accidentally letting out cats. NEVER leave cats unattended.
If you need food or something else - let one person go get the stuff
while the other stays back with cats. NEVER leave animals alone -
never unsupervised.

Also, I recommend hotels where the door to the room opens into a
hallway rather than directly to the outside - in case of cats that try
to run "out the door". IF you keep cats in crates as previously
suggested then this will not matter anyway.

9. At night give your cats healthy food and water - I recommend
bottled because community waters vary in flavor and cats sometimes will
be finicky.......I personnaly used some soft food to encourage eating
and hydration.

Good luck and PLEASE be cautious and precise in your actions. If in
doubt, leave them in the crates to reduce the risk of them getting
loose and possibly "bolting" in an unfamiliar place. Thank you for not
dumping your cats just because you are moving, if more people would do
this - fewer cats would be left in shelters.

Old February 7th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I just want to add that you should pack some of the same water that you
are giving them now. If you give them tap water, fill a few jugs before
you leave and gradually mix it in with the water at your new place
until the old one is gone. A sudden change in water can give some cats
an upset stomach!