Cosimo is one sick cat

Old February 14th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cosimo is one sick cat

First, I got the news that at 24 lbs. he is morbidly obese.

The leg splaying is probably because of the UTI but that's been
resolved.

Still awaiting test results to see if there's any kidney or liver
damage.

On top of that he's arthritic in his left hip and right rear knee.

And if the tests are good and we don't have to put him down, he's going
on a crash diet.

So lets hope he makes it through this one. He's only eight years old.

He's my first cat that had a weight problem. The other two cats are
within normal weight range. So now they'll all have to get used to the
fact that there'll be no more free-feeding.

Old February 14th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!

My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.

Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.

Old February 14th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Mon 13 Feb 2006 08:35:22p, wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com):

Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic
cat who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.

Did you run him up and down the stairs on that sparse diet? Domestic
cats don't have the liver to withstand that kind of diet. In fact,
some argue that 2 meals per day are even good for domestic cats. The
diet in the wild is mice and even bugs, and several times per day.

--
Cheryl
Old February 14th 06, 11:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:02:33 -0500, T
wrote:

In article .com,
says...
I have never been a fan of free feeding, especially for indoor only
kitties. They sometimes get bored, and do what we do - eat!!!

My vet has always complemented me on my cats' weights - they are always
normal - not even chubby. I play with them, run them up and down
steps, etc. and I don't leave food out constantly.

Cats in the wild only eat every 2-3 days - I once had a domestic cat
who only ate every two days and he was an indoor cat.

But interestingly before I got Cosimo the other two cats free fed
without any issues. Randy and Emily are 11 lbs. and 6.5 lbs. each.

Cosimo's condition sounds grim, with the arthritis and all. It makes
me think of those fat people you see in the junk food aisle at
WalMart, with a powered shopping cart and an oxygen tube. Sad.

I hope Cosimo can get a grip and turn his life around.

Charlie

Old February 14th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Do NOT put him on a crash diet. He'll end up with serious health
problems. I reduced my Tucker's weight by 6 pounds very slowly by
giving him canned food twice per day. For his story, visit his web
page:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

Old February 14th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

And if the tests are good and we don't have to put him down, he's going
on a crash diet.

This is just an expression, right? I'm sure your vet has let you know that
cats cannot go on crash diets. If he didn't take in enough calories and lost
weight very quickly, the fat would go straight to his liver and cause hepatic
lipidosis (fatty liver disease). Very real possibility for a 24 pound cat.
You have to go *very* slowly. If done correctly, weight will not drop off
too quickly. I hope you are doing this with vet supervision.

Janna

Old February 14th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article 5be0599b782aa@uwe, u18214@uwe says...
And if the tests are good and we don't have to put him down, he's going
on a crash diet.

This is just an expression, right? I'm sure your vet has let you know that
cats cannot go on crash diets. If he didn't take in enough calories and lost
weight very quickly, the fat would go straight to his liver and cause hepatic
lipidosis (fatty liver disease). Very real possibility for a 24 pound cat.
You have to go *very* slowly. If done correctly, weight will not drop off
too quickly. I hope you are doing this with vet supervision.

Janna

Yes, it was just an expression and it doesn't matter now anyhow.