Help with master training

Old February 15th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Help with master training

DH came home the other night to find Tank perched on top of THE corner
cupboard. THE corner cupboard is a family heirloom built by hand in the
early 1800s, worth several thousand dollars. After determining he did not
climb it DH sat back to see how he would get down. Apparently his way of
accessing the corner cupboard is to jump from his tower to Tigger’s tower,
from there to the china cupboard, then to the curtain rod, walk tightrope
across the curtain rod onto the corner cupboard.

I have two questions – first, Tank apparently likes being very high. It has
been a constant battle to keep him off the bookshelf in my office. Is there
some sort of a kitty thing I can get him that will meet this need without him
running the risk of toppling over the bookshelf, falling down behind the
corner cupboard (did I mention it is also extremely heavy and full of fragile
stuff), pull down the curtains etc. He’s already managed to get himself
stuck behind the refrigerator once and there is a big scratch on one of the
kitchen cabinets where he didn’t quite make it to jump up there.

Second, I can’t squirt water on the corner cupboard, not only would it damage
it but in his scramble to get down he might fall or jump behind it and that
would be a mess. I really don’t want to put sticky tape on it for the same
damage issue. I thought of putting sticky tape on the china cupboard,
cutting off his access, but knowing Tank he would probably resort to climbing
the curtains. Any ideas????

Lest someone mention it – we already have another cat. He would like to play
with her but she is having none of it. If we don’t separate them while we
are at work, we find her cowering in the closet. And I should buy stock in
Feliway for how much I have been through. A third cat is NOT an option. He
gets lots of play time and lots of attention. We have to give him lots of
attention, if he doesn’t get attention he jumps on the kitchen counter and
starts knocking things off.

Old February 15th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Karen wrote:
I"m thinking it might be worth it to have a specially built cat tree for
Tank that meets his needs.

I would recommend a cat tree as well. If there is an "allowed" area
where he can get up high and look around, the cabinet will become less
attractive.

You might try noise instead of water--like a can full of pebbles--shook
when he is up on the cabinet. Soon he will associate the cabinet with
the unpleasant noise.

--Fil

Old February 16th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yes, I think a taller cat tree is in order, he already has two three level
ones (well one is Tigger's but try telling him that). These are pretty much
the tallest ones I've seen in stores. Are there any places that make super
tall ones?

I like the pebble idea. We'll put that together tonight.

Thanks