Has any one had a cat with blood in the stool?

Old February 26th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Has any one had a cat with blood in the stool?

I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
7 years old just this January.

In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
the daylights out of me!

Old February 26th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Sorry. Abyssinian is spelled incorrectly. It's been a long
day...already. LOL.

Old February 26th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"yogipet-online" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
7 years old just this January.

In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
the daylights out of me!

Didn't your vet run any tests (for example, for UTI)? If not, I would seek
a second opinion because it would be *much* better to catch any potential
problems in an early stage.

MaryL

Old February 26th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Yes, we've seen it a couple of times. It can come along sometimes with
digestive problems. I read something about it one time when we found
some -- something about what part of the digestive tract it comes from.
You might try googling it or asking the vet for more details.

All of our cats are doing fine now, but I know it's a shock when you
first see it.

Rhonda

Old February 26th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

If there is red blood in the stool, it comes from the lower digestive
tract [below the stomach]. If the stool is black, the blood probably
came from the upper digestive tract.

Old February 26th 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In article 3LkMf.134386$0G.100267@dukeread10, AKE-
OUT-THE-LITTER says...

[...]

I've got a pretty thorough new vet. Brought my eldest in for a check up.
$350 later we've identified that his liver or spleen is somewhat
enlarged, but the blood panel doesn't show any increase in white blood
cells, or any indicators of liver malfunction. At 16 he's still
energetic, eats well, acts normal, etc. But over the past 6 or so years
he's lost 3 pounds. Probably coincides with when Cosimo was brought into
the house as that cat could eat, rest his little soul.

The breakdown:
Physcial Exam: $40
Rabies Vaccination: $12
Distemper Vaccination: $10
Blool Panel: $140
Sub-Q Fluids: $24

This brings the total on vet visits for the month of February to $1,100.
So yeah, I'd say my vet is pretty damned thorough.

Anyhow, when the vet called me to tell me the blood panel was ok she
started about ultrasounds, cat scans, etc. I told her I'd watch
carefully and if I saw any signs of something going on, I'd get him in
there.

I'm dreading Emily's appointment week after next.
Old February 26th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"T" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Okay. I didn't pick up on any of this from your original message. I was
afraid it was one of those cases where you took your cat in and just
received a "guess" as to causes.

MaryL

Old February 26th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
the daylights out of me!

A change in diet can cause blood in the stool. I saw it all the time at the
shelter I worked at and it's happened to my cat a couple of times.

Old February 26th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"yogipet-online" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have two Abysinnians, Tatoi and Chui. They are sisters and both are
7 years old just this January.

In early February, Chui had bright red drops in her stool one morning.
I was so shocked, I called my vet who told me to bring her in that
afternoon. When the vet examined her, she gave me something similiar
to Tums and told me that I shouldn't worried. She said it was normal
when cats are upset or stressed in some way (i.e., change of diet, new
litter, change of location, etc). I have had cats for 20 years and
have never seen this. Has anyone else had this experience? It scared
the daylights out of me!

Sounds like "Idiopathic Hematochezia" (small amount of blood on the feces)-
its usually normal if it happens once in awhile and no other symptoms are
present.

What you really have to watch for are black, tarry stools (melena). These
are a sign of internal bleeding.