Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA): Anyone Know Anything About It?

Old February 27th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA): Anyone Know Anything About It?

Has anyone done any work with this association?

I do some volunteer work for an animal rescue organization, recognized as a
charity under law, blah blah. It provides labor for certain CFA shows, and
in return, CFA makes a nice charitable contribution and (truly) helps
promote rescue cat adoption. I have been asked to assist, on behalf of both
CFA and the charity, this year. The animal rescue org is a little
understaffed with volunteers at the moment. Otherwise, I'd avoid this event
like the plague.

I don't want to pussyfoot around, so here's my concern: Is it mostly upper
class snobs who frequent these shows?

I want to prepare myself mentally for smiling at mostly jerks while trying
to raise money for an important cause. Call that view warped; all that's
important to me at this point is to do the best job I can for this charity.
If I can brace myself for some losers, I'll do a better job.

Old February 28th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

You may find some snobs, but mostly the people who run CFA are
interested in cat welfare as much as any breed rescue organization.
CFA puts on the cat shows and helps breeders with keeping bloodlines
and registration records. There are other organizations in other parts
of the world that do the same thing, but CFA is the largest. Check out
their website for more information.

I think any snobs you run into will be the ones with money who like the
status of having a registered cat but not usually at the shows. The
folks at the shows are cat owners and handlers, some breeders.

I like the shows because I get to see such beautiful cats. I also
learn about the different innate personality traits of breeds. Of
course, every cat is unique, but certain breeds are just more
affectionate, laid back or vocal than others.

Old February 28th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Morgen" wrote
You may find some snobs, but mostly the people who run CFA are
interested in cat welfare as much as any breed rescue organization.
CFA puts on the cat shows and helps breeders with keeping bloodlines
and registration records. There are other organizations in other parts
of the world that do the same thing, but CFA is the largest. Check out
their website for more information.

I think any snobs you run into will be the ones with money who like the
status of having a registered cat but not usually at the shows. The
folks at the shows are cat owners and handlers, some breeders.

I appreciate your sharing your experience, and with tact, Morgen. This
sounds tolerable enough. Well, by my selfish standards, anyway. :-)

I like the shows because I get to see such beautiful cats. I also
learn about the different innate personality traits of breeds. Of
course, every cat is unique, but certain breeds are just more
affectionate, laid back or vocal than others.

Good point. That's more incentive for me to assist with this.