Taking In Our 6th Stray Cat

Old March 15th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Taking In Our 6th Stray Cat

Yes, dh and I may need to have our heads examined. We really do not
have to have another cat. Especially having one boy who was dx 3 months
ago with renal failure :-( It pushed us over the top though on Monday
when "Whitey" was out in the rain and finally found some underbrush in
the back of our yard. Thoughts were the cat slept in a drainage pipe
adjacent to the woods at the back of our property, so needless to say,
in rain needs to go elsewhere.

Dragged out the Hav-a-hart late yesterday and dh was out of practice.
Set the trap, Whitey went in at the wet food AND tuna, turned around
and split. We couldn't leave the trap out over night because we would
have ended up with oppusum instead. Set out 2 traps this a.m. One where
we trapped it yesterday in our backyard (under the bird feeder of
course) and the other on our front porch where the food is placed every
morning.

When I awoke, Whitey was already in the trap. Usual amount of ugly
reaction on his part. Thankfully a very calm quiet ride to the vets.
Left him there with instructions for checking him out. Called me about
45 minutes later to say that he was a SHE, about 3 years old and very
sweet, but VERY scared AND declawed in the front (grrrrrrhhhh!). We've
been feeding this stray since the end of November, but had no ideas
about the claws. Also the cat is also spayed. The vet is wondering if
perhaps the cat was "dumped" because it had been spraying??? I am
praying that the cat was dumped because someone was just not interested
in keeping her any longer. We already have 1 cat with spraying problems
and is on Paxil for that :-(

Vet called again 2 1/2 hours later saying the leukemia and FIV were
negative. Besides vaccinations and de-worming, I asked them to "try" to
bath her to rid her of some of the Georgia clay, but that evidently did
not go over too well. Rather than sedate her just for the bath, we
figure we'll skip it. Put some Advantage on her and ready for pick up
in a couple of hours.

So...do you all think Whitey is an appropriate name for a female cat?
She has all white underneath and at the base of all 4 paws with tiger
stripes all over her top.

Is there a chance, (actually there has to be because I don't know what
to do if not), that ONE female can co-habitate with FIVE males, TWO of
whom are in a constant power struggle to be the leader?

When I bring Whitey home I will set her up in our smallest spare
bedroom. For some entertainment, she will have a beautiful window to
view her old stomping grounds bird feeder and all. Knowing that she is
scared, except for food and water what else can we do to comfort her
and not make the situation worse? No way will we even consider
introductions to the 5 gentlemen until she feels comfortable in her new
environment. That hurdle we can tackle when the time comes. Just need
some ideas on how to make her feel most comfortable, less frightened.
Any suggestions? Thanks all in advance
__
http://www.hoosierkitties.com Resource Links for You About Your Cat

Old March 15th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:26:45 -0800, Arubalisa wrote:

[...]

Do you have a small radio that could play soft music? This might help and
perhaps a couple of boxes to nest in. MLB
Old March 15th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Arubalisa" wrote in message
ups.com...

Is there a chance, (actually there has to be because I don't know what
to do if not), that ONE female can co-habitate with FIVE males, TWO of
whom are in a constant power struggle to be the leader?

Absotively! One of my partners has 6 males and a female- they get along
fine. I have 5 females and one male- it took awhile, but they get alone
fine.

Here're a few tips on introducing cats:

http://maxshouse.com/introducing_cats.htm

Old March 15th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

What about naming her Sugar? I think she will get along fine with the
boys! The soft music idea is great! My kitties always relax to
classical music! Just doze right off! She will probably hide under
the bed. Some nice soft, gentle petting never hurt either!

Good luck!

Old March 15th 06, 09:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On 15 Mar 2006 09:26:45 -0800, "Arubalisa"
wrote:

[...]

Good for you for taking in this stray.

For awhile, we had *7* males and *1* female. Heh. Our female was not
that happy, but she basically made herself Princess and it her right
to hiss at the boys if she so chose. I'm sure "Whitey" will find some
place in the pecking order that will work. Best of luck to you!

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)

Old March 15th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Arubalisa wrote:

Yes, dh and I may need to have our heads examined. We really do not
have to have another cat.

Yep, I think you "have to have" another cat!

So...do you all think Whitey is an appropriate name for a female cat?

I think Whitey is okay, but I read it as "Whitney." I kinda liked
Whitney. You get to pick whatever name you want, she's your new baby!

Is there a chance, (actually there has to be because I don't know what
to do if not), that ONE female can co-habitate with FIVE males, TWO of
whom are in a constant power struggle to be the leader?

The most issues we've had were between two boys. I don't think the sex
matters all that much, I think she'll be fine.

That's great of you to help that poor cat. She probably wouldn't have
lasted too long out there, being declawed.

Rhonda

Old March 15th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Yes, dh and I may need to have our heads examined. We really do not
have to have another cat.

Yep, I think you "have to have" another cat!
So...do you all think Whitey is an appropriate name for a female cat?

I think Whitey is okay, but I read it as "Whitney." I kinda liked Whitney.
You get to pick whatever name you want, she's your new baby!
Is there a chance, (actually there has to be because I don't know what
to do if not), that ONE female can co-habitate with FIVE males, TWO of
whom are in a constant power struggle to be the leader?

The most issues we've had were between two boys. I don't think the sex
matters all that much, I think she'll be fine.
That's great of you to help that poor cat. She probably wouldn't have
lasted too long out there, being declawed.
Rhonda

Name her anything you feel like. Blessings on you all for having
mercy and caring for those in need.
I have one suggestion: either keep this window you mention closed
entirely or open just a tiny bit for air circulation if needed. I still feel
bad about this: back in early 80's, I had a feral male cat in my apt.
and the room he was in shortly after we got him had a tiny window
about 6 feet off the floor (a bedroom). Some time while I was
watching a noisy football game in l.r. nearby, he actually jumped
up and broke through the screen, escaping through the bars on
outside of window......never to be seen again. Since then, I have
never left windows entirely open anywhere in home unless I
am in the room. When I leave room, window gets closed except
for opening much smaller than a cat head (few inches). Talk
about guilt.

Old March 16th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Buddy" wrote in message
oups.com...

What about naming her Sugar?

Sugar is a great name for a white female:

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg

I think she will get along fine with the
boys!

I think you're right. I don't think sex makes much of difference when all
the cats are neutered. When there's no sexual competition or competition
for food, they seem to develop their own little community. I think the cat
hierarchy is more like a wheel- rather than like a ladder as with dogs.
There's really no alpha cat- they just seem to time share the hub at the
center of the wheel. lol

The soft music idea is great! My kitties always relax to
classical music! Just doze right off!

My cats are partial to Beliotz - "Requiem" in particular, probably because
the soft kettle drums sounds like cats purring.

She will probably hide under
the bed. Some nice soft, gentle petting never hurt either!

...or treats-- a lot of treats.

Phil

Old March 16th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Buddy" wrote in message
oups.com...

What about naming her Sugar?

Sugar is a great name for a white female:

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/sugar-5-12-05-4.jpg

She is beautiful Phil she has a look at royalty

I think she will get along fine with the
boys!

I think you're right. I don't think sex makes much of difference when all
the cats are neutered. When there's no sexual competition or competition
for food, they seem to develop their own little community. I think the
cat
hierarchy is more like a wheel- rather than like a ladder as with dogs.
There's really no alpha cat- they just seem to time share the hub at the
center of the wheel. lol

The soft music idea is great! My kitties always relax to
classical music! Just doze right off!

My cats are partial to Beliotz - "Requiem" in particular, probably because
the soft kettle drums sounds like cats purring.

She will probably hide under
the bed. Some nice soft, gentle petting never hurt either!

..or treats-- a lot of treats.

Phil