bladder problems

Old March 18th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default bladder problems

My 4 year year old female has had bladder problems (blood in urine) and
has been under vet care. He wants her to eat canned food, but all she
wants is dry. I feel so sorry for her. Can anyone tell me what dry
food will help and what stores carry it? Or is there some other way to
get more water in her? Thank you, Erm

Old March 19th 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
My 4 year year old female has had bladder problems (blood in urine) and
has been under vet care. He wants her to eat canned food, but all she
wants is dry. I feel so sorry for her. Can anyone tell me what dry
food will help and what stores carry it? Or is there some other way to
get more water in her? Thank you, Erm

Your vetrinarian's advice was sound. Canned food is always better, but it
is *vital* for a cat with bladder and urinary tract infections. Stick with
it! She will eventually eat. I know it is difficult in the meantime, and I
have gone through those "guilt pangs" while I was trying to acclimate my
twosome to a canned diet. However, they are now very satisfied with it and
are much healthier. Joe's advice is a good way to gradually work through
the transition from to dry to canned food. You could also experiment by
simply mixing some canned food with the dry to see if that will attract her,
then gradually reduce the amount of dry. Be sure to use premium cat food.

MaryL

Old March 19th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks Joe and Mary. What canned cat foods do you think are best and
what stores carry them? What should I do if she won't eat the mixture
of dry and canned. I can't stand to hear her cry. Is there any one
brand of moist that cats enjoy the most?

Old March 19th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks Joe and Mary. What canned cat foods do you think are best and
what stores carry them? What should I do if she won't eat the mixture
of dry and canned. I can't stand to hear her cry. Is there any one
brand of moist that cats enjoy the most?

Your vet has food made for cats with bladder problems. Most likely Hill's
c/d. There is one called "c/d with chicken" that she may like.

Old March 19th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks Joe and Mary. What canned cat foods do you think are best and
what stores carry them? What should I do if she won't eat the mixture
of dry and canned. I can't stand to hear her cry. Is there any one
brand of moist that cats enjoy the most?

If she has bladder problems, it shouldn't just be any canned food, it should
be one low in minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, calcium. I used to
used Hill's c/d for a couple years, then when my cat was better, I switched
to Hill's Science Diet canned (it's almost identical to the c/d). I kept my
cat on canned for a few of months after he was first diagnosed but once he
got better and I got him to become more of a water drinker, I was able to
start feeding him dry again (Hill's) too. So now he eats both canned and dry
and is doing well. Encourage water drinking as much as you can. I have a 2
story house so I put water bowls on each floor. Fountains are good too if
your cat likes those. Mine likes to drink out of the bathroom sink too.
Whatever he wants when it comes to water consumption, he gets!

Anna

Old March 19th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
Thanks Joe and Mary. What canned cat foods do you think are best and
what stores carry them? What should I do if she won't eat the mixture
of dry and canned. I can't stand to hear her cry. Is there any one
brand of moist that cats enjoy the most?

I use Wellness, and I have a friend who specializes in feline health and
behavior problems who has used that with cats that had UTI. Avoid fish
flavors, but other flavors are very good. It is also low in magnesium, and
that is important.

MaryL

Old March 19th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

What stores carry Hills and Wellness? And again, thank you all so much.
I love my little one so much and am willing to help her no matter what.
Thank, Erm

Old March 19th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
What stores carry Hills and Wellness? And again, thank you all so much.
I love my little one so much and am willing to help her no matter what.
Thank, Erm

You can probably find Wellness if there any small "independent" pet food
stores near you. We don't have any in my area, so I order it online. I use
www.petfooddirect.com. If you use them, order by phone the first time and
ask to be placed on their mailign list. Also ask if any discounts are
currently available. That is what I did, and I received a very nice
discount. After that, check your email *frequently* because they often
offer discounts (anywhere from 13 percent to 22 percent), but the offers are
usually only good for 2 or 3 days. I always order at the 20 or 22 percent
discounts, and that just about covers the cost of freight. It ahs been well
worth it for my cats. Their cats are glossy and shiny, they have lots of
energy, and Holly completely lost all traces of dandruff (easily detectable
on her because she is a black cat).

MaryL