Bird Flu and cat food

Old March 19th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Bird Flu and cat food

Just wondering, as the bird flu is expected to be here about summer time,
how we can be sure cat food is safe, specially food with chicken in it?
Hopefully the pet food makers will take all the necessary precautions.

--
Paul O.

Old March 19th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

A search of www.cdc.gov leads to the World Health Organization

WHO sites Food safety Microbiological risks in food
http://www.who.int/foodsafety/micro/avian/en/

WHO is aware of concerns that the virus could also spread to humans
through contact with contaminated poultry products. To date, no
epidemiological data suggest that the disease can be transmitted to
humans through properly cooked food (even if contaminated with the
virus prior to cooking). However, in a few instances, cases have been
linked to consumption of dishes made of raw contaminated poultry blood.

I doubt anyone has done any specific studies as of yet on poultry in
cat food. Most of the Avian flue cases are transmitted through the bird
feces or contaminated surfaces.

You could "Google" a search for your topic and perhaps some of the
Veterinary Schools have begun research.

Old March 19th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Paul O. wrote:
Just wondering, as the bird flu is expected to be here about summer time,
how we can be sure cat food is safe, specially food with chicken in it?
Hopefully the pet food makers will take all the necessary precautions.

--
Paul O.

Cooking the meat kills the virus. A much bigger threat is cats eating
wild birds.

-L.

Old March 19th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

Paul O. wrote:
Just wondering, as the bird flu is expected to be here about summer time,
how we can be sure cat food is safe, specially food with chicken in it?
Hopefully the pet food makers will take all the necessary precautions.

--
Paul O.

Cooking the meat kills the virus. A much bigger threat is cats eating
wild birds.

-L.

Thanks, good to know. Our kitty is an indoor only kitty so won't be a
problem with the birds. There are a lot of cats on the loose around here
tho. Maybe a few less after this is all over with.
--
Paul O.
My sig line is my disclaimer to any advice given

Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats
Learning more every day, but still clueless