My third cat

Old March 23rd 06, 08:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default My third cat

Hi all,

I was rearing two female cats (about 2 year-old now) and now rearing the
third one (about 2.5 yr old) from my friend who can't keep her because of
moving. The did not getting along very well. Last week, when i changed the
type of sand she's using with that of my two cats' using, she refused to use
the toilet and keep ****ing and laying stools just on the floor of my
toilet. How can i train her to use the cat toilet of my two cats? Please
help...
dave

Old March 23rd 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

--

Dave

Getting another box is worth trying. Some cats don't like to share
(especially if she was an only cat before).

You could try using the litter she's used to (through that might start
problems with the other two) perhaps she doesn't like your choice of
brand

There's usually some solution. The first posting I ever made on this ng
was because one of my owners, Sarrasine, would pee in the box but do
the other out of it. Following everyone's suggestions I got an extra
box and this worked for a few weeks.

I solved it by accident when I tipped too much litter in the box by
mistake. Haven't had any trouble since. Seems her ladyship likes her
litter DEEP

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old March 23rd 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Do you have 4 litter boxes? That is what is recommended for 3 cats.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old March 23rd 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"dL" wrote in message
Hi all,

I was rearing two female cats (about 2 year-old now) and now rearing the
third one (about 2.5 yr old) from my friend who can't keep her because of
moving. The did not getting along very well. Last week, when i changed
the
type of sand she's using with that of my two cats' using, she refused to
use
the toilet and keep ****ing and laying stools just on the floor of my
toilet. How can i train her to use the cat toilet of my two cats? Please
help...
dave

--

First, you need at least one more litter box and possibly more. The general
rule of thumb is two box for each cat plus one extra (although my two get
along fine with two boxes). Next, you asked about changing the type of sand
your new cat was using. I would suggest using the same sand in the new box
and *gradually* changing it by mixing in the type of litter you want your
cat to use. If your new cat remains insistent, I would simply adapt and use
the sand she prefers. Sometimes we need to let our cats train us instead of
the other way around, especially when it comes to litter boxes. For
example, I decided to move a litter box out of one room and place it in
another area. Duffy kept going back to the original location of the box and
would use that area. He is blind, but that isn't the explanation -- he
finds the location of anything new in just a matter of minutes. For some
reason, he was just determined that that was "the place" for the litter box.
Well, he won! I put the box back in position and have never had another
problem.

MaryL