Cat born with balance problems

Old March 31st 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Cat born with balance problems

Hi i have a 7 month old boy cat. He was born with a balance problem
given to him by his mother cat. At least thats what i was told when i
took him to the vet. The vet told me there was no cure.But i think he
may have been lying. He never gave me a name for the disease. Ive be
searching it up everywhere and I only get cat vestibular disease.which
mostly seems to happen with older cats and dogs.
Anyway my cat is getting better at balancing now and im wonderin if
anyone has a cat with similiar problem and how they have coped. He can
now what upright for about 6 steps then tips and fall he also can run
pretty fast to get away when he's in a playing mood. I also want to
know if the disease would be transfered to other kittens if i was to
breed him. He's a great cat but i would love to have him with another
boy cat who looked just like him but smaller. theres a cat that about
his age thats a girl that my uncle owns that i want to breed him
with.They are of the same breed. She's also in heat. Im wondering also
is it normal for that cat to be in heat so early.I thought it would
atleast be over a year.

Old March 31st 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"jtheman112" jarool1 yahoo.com wrote:

[...]

So you live in an area that isn't already overpopulated with stray/abandoned
cats? Lucky you.

From: "jtheman112" jarool1 yahoo.com
Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Subject: Cat born with balance problems
Date: 30 Mar 2006 23:15:29 -0800

Old March 31st 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"jtheman112" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi i have a 7 month old boy cat. He was born with a balance problem
given to him by his mother cat. At least thats what i was told when i
took him to the vet. The vet told me there was no cure.But i think he
may have been lying. He never gave me a name for the disease. Ive be
searching it up everywhere and I only get cat vestibular disease.which
mostly seems to happen with older cats and dogs.

It sure sounds like cerebellar hypoplasia. CH can occur in kittens if the
mother was infected with parvovirus in the middle third of gestation or
immediately after the kitten was born. The old name for panleukopenia was
"Feline Ataxia".

Go he http://maxshouse.com/feline_panleukopenia.htm scroll down to the
4th paragraph under "Clinical Signs".

Anyway my cat is getting better at balancing now and im wonderin if
anyone has a cat with similiar problem and how they have coped.

The signs usually persist for life-- but kittens are brilliantly adaptable
creatures and learn to compensate and otherwise function normally and live a
normal lifespan.

He can
now what upright for about 6 steps then tips and fall he also can run
pretty fast to get away when he's in a playing mood. I also want to
know if the disease would be transfered to other kittens if i was to
breed him. He's a great cat but i would love to have him with another
boy cat who looked just like him but smaller. theres a cat that about
his age thats a girl that my uncle owns that i want to breed him
with.They are of the same breed. She's also in heat. Im wondering also
is it normal for that cat to be in heat so early.I thought it would
atleast be over a year.

Please don't even think about breeding him- If you want him to have a
companion, adopt a cat from a shelter and save a life instead of indirectly
causing the death of 5 or 6 shelter cats whose homes your cats' kittens
would be taking away.

Get him neutered as soon as possible. Neutering should also make it easier
for him to deal with his disability-- not to mention eliminate the risk of
certain cancers.

Old March 31st 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

[...]

This does sound like the problem may have happened in utero, possibly due to
an infection in the mother. I would change vets if that is really all the
vet would tell you.

Please *do not even consider* breeding your cat. I would say this even if
he were completely healthy because we already have a vast cat
overpopulation, which leads to an incredibly high rate of euthanasia.
Please adopt (thereby saving the life of another cat), and have your cat
neutered ASAP -- both for his health and to reduce the likelihood of still
more kittens. In your case, there is still another reason *not* to breed,
and that is to avoid passing on any possibility of genetic defects. My
Duffy has been blind since birth (but I fortunately was able to get more
information than you received). He had been neutered before I adopted him,
but I would have followed my own advice if he had not been. He is a truly
wonderful (and beautiful) little cat, but it would have been irresponsible
to consider breeding.

MaryL

Old March 31st 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Alright thanks all for the info. I guess im going to adopt a new cat.
see ya

Old March 31st 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"jtheman112" wrote in message
oups.com...
Alright thanks all for the info. I guess im going to adopt a new cat.
see ya

Thank you! That's great information. You will be able to find cats of
almost any age, temperament, and personality at you local animal shelter.
For starters, take a look at www.petfinder.com. If you select "expanded"
search range, it will show pics (and descrptions) of cats in area animal
shelters and rescue groups.

MaryL

Old March 31st 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

We had a kitty with CH, too. His mother had distemper while she was
pregnant. We lost him as a small kitten because he had some kidney
problems also. Someone else here had a CH kitten they named "Tipsy" and
she was having a long, healthy life.

Thanks for not breeding your cat. Before you get a new kitty though, I
would have this one neutered. He may not get along with another cat if
not neutered, or he may start spraying everything to mark his territory.

You might have the vet do a complete blood test first to make sure all
organs are functioning properly. One of the other kittens in our litter
has a very small liver. It's best for vets to do a check on these
kittens first. All of ours were spayed and neutered with no problem.

Good luck,

Rhonda

Old April 1st 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

jtheman112 wrote:
[...]

Wow.... Down-rite ****ing weird. My group adjutant once had an inner
ear infection that was so bad that he couldn't even open his eyes
without the room spinning around. He couldn't even get out of bed to go
to the friggin' emergency room. An ambulance had to come and remove him
from his home. It lasted a long tome, too. Maybe your boy has a
low-grade inner ear infection. It might have already done some damage
to all that cartilage in there.
Well, good luck with your current troubles...

IBen

http://www.2dvalley.com/gallery/albu...llum.sized.jpg

Old April 1st 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

This does sound like the problem may have happened in utero, possibly due

an infection in the mother. I would change vets if that is really all the
vet would tell you.

A kitten can also develop CH if she's vaccinated with a MLV vaccine if she's
4-6 weeks old. Some vets say kittens can develop CH if the mother is
vaccinated with a MLV during the third trimester.

Help for cat with liver problems.. dm Cat health & behaviour 0 December 10th 04 04:03 PM
Litter problems Peter Kim Cat health & behaviour 4 November 5th 04 06:37 PM
Amlodipine (Norvasc) for treating kidney failure / eye problems? Cat Person Cat health & behaviour 2 October 30th 04 02:47 AM
Diet Problems JBHajos Cat anecdotes 21 July 17th 04 03:27 PM
Is it trust or a balance problem? Dan and Nancy Mahoney Cat anecdotes 5 September 11th 03 02:21 AM